Lyon and Matai Charged

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Lyon may be better in defense but he doesn't compliment Orford.

Burns is better in that department both Lyon and Monas get in Orfords way and therefore in that regard Burns is the better choice which means

7 Orford
6 Burns
9 Ballin

Monas -> England
Matai -> PL
Lyon -> Centre

Ballin is a hooker? how did Matai force him out?

If matai was not included in the team, would Ballin have been dropped?

Answer is no. Lyon would have played centre, burns 5/8 monas to hooker and Ballin on the bench

that is how he pushed Ballin out.

[quote author=nodd]

Answer is no. Lyon would have played centre, burns 5/8 monas to hooker and Ballin on the bench

[/quote]

If Ballin was "dropped" wouldn't he have played premier league? I think there may have been a reason rather than being dropped, maybe injury.

Lyon may be better in defense but he doesn't compliment Orford.

Burns is better in that department both Lyon and Monas get in Orfords way and therefore in that regard Burns is the better choice which means

7 Orford
6 Burns
9 Ballin

Monas -> England
Matai -> PL
Lyon -> Centre

I dont agree with Lyon getting in Orfords way, or Monaghan this year actually. My main like with Lyon getting in at 5/8 is his ability to make the players around him more dangerous, the best example of this being Bells improvement with Lyon beside him.

At the end of the day, I am comfortable wiht Lyon, Monaghan, Ballin in the side and Matai in PL, and i am comfortable with Matai, Lyon and Monaghan in the side with Ballin in PL too.

I agree with the view that Matai should have some back through PL, and also that Ballin is going to be a top player, but Matais efforts should be commented on for what he did on a the park last friday night, which was very solid, and not worth some of the crap being piled on him

[quote author=Daniel]
[quote author=nodd]

[/quote]

If Ballin was "dropped" wouldn't he have played premier league? I think there may have been a reason rather than being dropped, maybe injury.

[/quote]

18th man tiger.

if they were not 100% sure on Matai up until match time then they needed ballin to be there just in case. They couldn't have him playing a game of PL, matai coming up sore out of warm up and then having no one to back him up

more than obvious

Well obviously tiger, the coaching staff rate Matai a better option than Ballin. Who am I to argue that, they are better judges than me !

Well champ, that is the debate we are having.

Well you must feel you are a better judge than the coaching staff. Can't argue with that either as I don't know your footy credentials.

hmm diversion tactics already huh?

Go have a lay down mate come back and get back to the point

The debate is not on whether we think our opinion is better than that of the staff.

if you wish to use that tact, go to MSE where every thoughtful comment is met by the same response.

The debate is on our opinion of the players, their positions and what WE think is the better option and the better players for the respective positions

Clearly you have exhausted your useful input!

I've given you my opinion on the player. I then gave my opinion on why I thought Ballin did not play. You were the one who started on how obvious the tactics were.

I can not stand matai and detest that he was put in over Ballin on Friday.

It was like watching Randall back in the side, \"oh whats he going to do...oh yeah run down the blind side....\"

:clap:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I honestly don't remember Matai chugging down the blindside.. i only remember him going open side (i've watched the game twice now) and pretty sure everytime he made about 10 metres... the good thing about his runs are that he gets hit but he still usually makes another 2 or 3 metres after that... I like his dummy half metres and his mongrel in defence.

This is my dilemma lads:-

Matai is a great asset to the team in the centres in my opinion, and he's also very young. I have visions of Lyon / Matai in the centres when Bell retires. But when does Bell retire?

I also think Burns / Orford is our best 1/2's pairing. Burns (again) can be a long term prospect for us, and can continue in the 1/2's when Orford retires. But when does Orford retire?

It's a very tough situation for Des in trying to keep the long term prospects happy, but not disrupting what could possibly be the best options now.

2008 is easy IMO. For everyone except Matai. I personally think his biggest asset is running from dummy 1/2, and chewing up metres, as well as his ne on one defence and intimidation factor. Maybe he could be the utility player @ 14 next year? That way he can do what he does best all the time. Also, if any backs go down, he can slot into the centres. This is of coarse until Bell retires - at which time he becomes a full time centre again.

The reason I say that scenario, is because I so dearly want Burns in the team. His attitude. His defence. His improvement. All these things say to me that finally Manly have a REAL 5/8 that can play 5/8.

I dunno lads - it's a tough one, but if anyone HAD to play Premier League out of our group, at this stage it might be Matai, with:-

3. Lyon
4. Bell
6. Burns
7. Orford
9. Monnas
14. Ballin

We all need to think these issues are positives as well !

Matai's 100 m in attack from Dummy half was worth gold as was his big hits. Yes he rushes out but I think he is good for what he does. He is only young and will get better. I like his mongrel as well.

I still think he is the weakest link.

And Nutzcraw please re-read what I was saying you may just see that I was cross referencing between Randall and Matai

The reason I say that scenario, is because I so dearly want Burns in the team. His attitude. His defence. His improvement. All these things say to me that finally Manly have a REAL 5/8 that can play 5/8.

Agree with a lot of your post but will pick out this point, i dont think Travis will be a 5/8 long term, i see him as a running dummy half.
He isnt a real 5/8 coz his ball skills are pretty non existent at the mo, if he picked that area up he has a real chance at being a top 5/8

Please, enough of the 'mongrel' stuff, it only reads 'giving up penalties'. A hard man is a hard man with little need for the 'mongrel.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4