Loss could be a timely jolt ahead of finals

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Manly winger Jorge Taufua said the Sea Eagles learnt a timely lesson from their 23-4 defeat by Souths.

"It was obviously not the result anyone wants – they are always tough," Taufua sa
Tau12001.jpg
id.

"But then again it's always good to have those games going into the finals.

"It keeps us grounded and shows us that we need improvement."

Friday's game was also Taufua's comeback match after several weeks out with a niggling ankle injury.

And he looked like he had just gone 10 rounds with Aussie boxing champion Danny Green.

"As you can see I've got a couple of bumps on the face but you know it's just good to get through and good to be back," Taufua said.

"I'm looking forward to next week."

He said Souths showed they are definitely one of the teams to beat.

It was also the first time that Taufua had played at the famous Sydney Cricket Ground.

"It's good for us wingers because the opposing crowd is not as close as usual," Taufua said.

Forward James Hasson said the team will use that loss as a motivation should they face Souths again.

Many judges regard Friday's game as a grand final preview.

"The boys will remember that one and make sure next time we play them we put in a much better performance," Hasson said.

Hasson said when they met in round two and Manly won, the Sea Eagles had matched the enthusiasm of the Souths side.

But on Friday he said they were a bit flat and slightly off their game.

Meanwhile, Sea Eagles blockbusting centre Steve Matai will be sent for further scans on his shoulder on Tuesday.

He was the victim of an alleged "crusher" tackle against the Rabbitohs on Friday night.

The results will be assessed before a decision is made on whether Matai will be fit to play this weekend.

The Sea Eagles play the Titans this Sunday on the Gold Coast.
Jon Geddes
Manly Daily

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/loss-could-be-a-timely-jolt-ahead-of-finals/story-fngr8iii-1227020815036

We appeared to be out enthused and were still in the contest with 15 to go. If Symonds passes earlier it would have been 12-10 with 20 to go. It's good to hear Hasson mentioned that we were flat, because the players are the best judge of that, out on the field, amongst the talk and what not. For him to concur with our sentiments on the forum, gives me confidence that we won't have a repeat of Friday night if we happen to meet souths in the finals.

key now is to knock over the titans, eels and panthers, all do-able. Then send the nsw cup team to townsville while watching roosters / souths and panthers / warriors smash the life out of each other in final round to fill the other 3 spots in top 4.

While any loss is disappointing, I wasn't too upset by Friday night. I didn't think we played dreadfully, just met a side who was red hot. I think that was Souths at their best...as good as they can play, and while it was impressive, there's two months until GF day. Very difficult to maintain the rage both physically and mentally for that long, whereas I think Manly, Roosters and Storm all have improvement in them and a pacing themselves nicely. No co-incidence these three teams have won the last three premierships, while Souths have been a no show for the big dance.

No to concerned about the loss. Souths were really pumped for that game.

Nice little wake up call for the boys. Next time we play them, i think it will be a much different result.

Why does every loss have to have a positive twist or "jolt we needed to have" line advertised in the media or "we were a little flat" comment, comes across as being in denial that they had a loss to such an opponent.

Just go behind closed doors keep your mouth shut,work harder, plan better and come back in stealth mode new and improved.

The "we were a little flat" comments from coaches really is getting monotonous, but I guess that is what you have to feed the media and hopefully behind closed doors this reasoning is not believed all too often.

Technical Coach said:
Why does every loss have to have a positive twist or "jolt we needed to have" line advertised in the media or "we were a little flat" comment, comes across as being in denial that they had a loss to such an opponent.

Just go behind closed doors keep your mouth shut,work harder, plan better and come back in stealth mode new and improved.

The "we were a little flat" comments from coaches really is getting monotonous, but I guess that is what you have to feed the media and hopefully behind closed doors this reasoning is not believed all too often.

Wow......you're so amazing.

Kevinward777 said:
Technical Coach said:

Wow......you're so amazing.

Damn I so wanted to "like" your post if only it was not Kevin Ward.

Jethro said:
Manly winger Jorge Taufua said the Sea Eagles learnt a timely lesson from their 23-4 defeat by Souths.

Read More

Next time get Wolfie to put a few bets on for us. A motivational thing. Couple of k each player for a manly win. Dish up dribble and they lose their wages. :)

The Homebush hares have been annointed as the premiers for 2014 so Manly can fly under the radar as we like it.

Bunny Burgess is going to regret his chicken wing I suspect.

Technical Coach said:

TC !!

They had a bad day in the office , it happens to all in all sorts of life...

the point compared to other games is

- they did look flat
- out of sync
- not as focused as the bunnies ...

Also i believe the bunnies had everything to prove

- lost to us earlier in the year & knocked them out last year in semi's
- we are coming first
- wayne bennetts comments..

panash said:
Technical Coach said:

TC !!

They had a bad day in the office , it happens to all in all sorts of life...

the point compared to other games is

- they did look flat
- out of sync
- not as focused as the bunnies ...

Also i believe the bunnies had everything to prove

- lost to us earlier in the year & knocked them out last year in semi's
- we are coming first
- wayne bennetts comments..
Not doubting that all i am saying after every single loss you hear "we were a little flat and off our game" as an excuse, sometimes you look flat because the opponent has either grind you down or dominated you in certain areas inducing a flat performance.

Easier to remain enthusiastic when things go your way or flow of possession is in your favour.

Not suggesting Manly were not flat to some degree and had less to play for but seriously it is way overblown in many instances.

My other pet hate is "we did not execute" in many instances you did execute exactly as you trained or prepared but it was structurally flawed anyway.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4