Look at the personel the GWS have in their head office

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/club-staff.html

compared to ours.

I know the AFL have plenty of cash but is it time for our club to
look more professional? Do we need a clean out? I know there are plenty gunning for Lowe's head but do we need to also replace Zorba as media manager. And is there anyone else you think should go?

Surely with Quantum onboard now we could afford to splurge out and get some high profile people in those positions if Lowe and Zorba are moved on.

Thoughts?

boys, not really fair, The AFL guy comes out to our College (South/West) near Picton and told us Demetriou has allocated $150 million to GWS and that there is millions in junior development alone!!

I do agree a Lowe/Peters upper management team sounds pretty amateurish and don't see them as big corporate types (sadly)

I think that RL has this problem across the board, I still think that we are not yet a professional sport. Hopefully the IC will help to change that culture.

AFL do a lot of things to simply promote their game NRL doesnt' and plumping up new clubs is just 1 of them. The titans were given a sink or swim life 5 years ago and got through. This year they have to compete with the Suns AFL team with 100 million to spend on marketing alone. Ouch.
Here is 2 simple things AFL do to promote themselves that show how behind the 8 ball NRL is. Firstly TV ads ( as well as radio and print but I'm sticking with jsut TV for arguement) just promoting watch our game. We have all seen teh ad with Dropkick Murphys "Shipping up to Boston" in the background with a guy wrestling a bull "The strongest athletes" and guy outrunning a cheeta "The fastest" etc. When was the last time you saw an NRL ad with the exception of the clunky Wendell Sailor telling you to become a member, clearly reading cue cards slowly and with big gaps. Secondly, top grade player tour schools on a weekly basis to teach kids skills. There is more NRL teams in NSW and somehow the Swans get to more schools to promote the game and sign kids up.
Being the number 1 watched sport on TV now doesn't mean we will always be. At one time Rugby and Cricket were the biggest sports in Australia and they are both fell off the perch. Adverstising works. Coke is the number one Cola in the world cause they spend more money marketing than Pepsi.

Swoop, I think your attack should be directed at the NRL leadership rather than the club.  The amount of money the AFL is throwing at the GWS team can't be placed alongside a single clubs spending.  Gallop and his motley crew are to blame for the pathetic TV rights and sponsorship money coming into league.  And yet he's going to get the gig at the top of the new Commission.  Pathetic. 

DSM5 link said:
Swoop, I think your attack should be directed at the NRL leadership rather than the club.  The amount of money the AFL is throwing at the GWS team can't be placed alongside a single clubs spending.  Gallop and his motley crew are to blame for the pathetic TV rights and sponsorship money coming into league.  And yet he's going to get the gig at the top of the new Commission.  Pathetic. 

What attack? I just posted a few questions.

And I agree that the NRL are hopeless at promoting the game. But do we have to wait for the NRL to act first or should we be proactive.

Yep they are so on the ball that they couldn't even get all their staff there for a photo.

Chip & Chase link said:
Yep they are so on the ball that they couldn't even get all their staff there for a photo.
Spot on. The leaders look good. Thier other staff should have at least been given uniforms or told to dress nicely or did they just pluck anybody off the streets around Blacktown.

Chip & Chase link said:

Even without all the staff pictured it's a pretty impressive collection of people with business acumen.

Captain of the Gate link said:
Adverstising works. Coke is the number one Cola in the world cause they spend more money marketing than Pepsi.

And because Pepsi tastes like flat coke. But that's an arguement for another thread! :)

Fonz link said:
[quote author=Captain of the Gate link=topic=186281.msg312158#msg312158 date=1295333709]
Adverstising works. Coke is the number one Cola in the world cause they spend more money marketing than Pepsi.

And because Pepsi tastes like flat coke. But that's an arguement for another thread! :)

[/quote]

Trust the Fonz to only drink Coke. I bet you have a collection of old Coke bottles on display in your 50's Diner styled rumpus room :)

i live next to carrara stadium and a few years ago saw 16000 turn up to a canberra v warriors trial match in the rain.a short time later the lions played a trial and there were acouple of actual premiership games played where barely 6000 turned up.the north melbourne games up here over the last few years have been a disaster and believe me even those feeble crowd numbers have been exagerrated.that old chestnut that the gold coast has a large % of melbourne people had some traction when the population was 100k,now that it is 700k it is absolute horse****.it is full of relocating brisbanites moving down the highway and nsw people in the main.

they can spend as much as they like up here but the simple fact is unless they win the great majority of games every year they will struggle after the "newness" wears off.queensland is a league state with a league mindset that has been built over 100 years and wont just go away.

the titans get good crowds at a great stadium yet are stony broke and have to rely the  nrl grant brought forward to survive.this happened twice last year to just pay staff.

the AFL will need every cent they are putting in and more to survive as they do not even have the entrenched cultural advantage of the Titans.

As Geoff Carr so eloquently put it when asked about the GWS- "This will be the AFL's Vietnam" Ditto for up here IMO.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6