Long-term planning: Current players who could one day coach

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Harmless27

Reserve Grader
lots of talk about getting rid of barrett, and bringing in random ex-Manly players just because they played for us etc.

So - let's put our business and HR hats on for a minute and ask ourselves - which young players should we be grooming to one day become NRL coaches (preferably for manly) in the future?

There is actually a niche opportunity here - Manly could become the 'club of choice' for young players because of the investment made in their post-playing career by having a structured NRL Coaching program.....

A mixture of business smarts, health and conditioning, coaching & leadership training, people skills, tactics and thought leadership etc etc etc. And of course good hair ala Barrett

To me, there are some prime candidates who could one day take over our great club at various levels:
Jamie Lyon - geez I would love to see him coach our 20's team in 5 years time once he has a break and gets some skills refined. Not your typical first grade coach, but think about what he could do for our juniors?
Jake T - already coaching the juniors at Mona Vale. I am not convinced he is on track to be an immortal - but happy to see him become our new generation Jason King. get him upskilled on the finer points of leadership and management asap
DCE - obvious choice. I think he will be a better coach than he is a player tbh..... but time will tell.

This is something I firmly believe in from the point of view of general management and leadership programs in the corporate environment (can you tell I am involved in this space???) But in all seriousness - why don't we have a Manly Leadership Academy? Partnering with Mac uni or some such organisation?

I don't really see much in Lyon that tells me he'd be a good coach. Lyon always did what was best for Lyon as a player. Plus, he's so naturally talented, one of the most naturally talented we've seen, it works against him. The best coaches will be guys that have to work for everything, are vocal on the field and smart.

So maybe Buhrer. Not sure who else.

IIRC DCE has spent most games that he's been out injured over the past few seasons sitting in the coaches box with Tooves and Barrett. Cherry becoming a coach after he retires wouldn't surprise me. And after all he has copped over the past 2 years, I think he could handle it.

I think it takes a certain type of personality to cut it as a first grade league coach. Someone who knows what it's like to play at a high level. Someone with dignity if not gravitas, that players will listen to. Someone highly competitive, and smart.
I always thought Glenn Stewart could be a coach, if he ever wanted to.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7