Lock for 2007

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Downie

Reserve Grader
Ok, I'm gonna throw one totally out of left-field here, but it's only a suggestion, so don't beat me up on it :p

Say if we don't purchase anyone suitable for the lock position in 2007 and therefore have to search our own ranks for one, what does everyone else think about Michael Monaghan becoming a ball-playing lock? I know it may sound silly, but it'd add an extra dimension in our attack and will allow Ballin to get a run as starting hooker. The only problems I see being are he may not be big enough (could chuck on a few kilos during the off-season) and he may not be a great metre grabber, but he is excellent in defence and, as said, will add that extra bit in attack, which we have been missing close to the line this season.

Monaghan's main defiency as a hooker (the speed of his service) will be rubbed out, and his kicking will still be able to used. Again, the main problem will probably his size, or lackthereof, but he'd probably make a better go of it then say Williamson or Stewart.

I didn't watch much footy during the nineties, but didn't Fittler play a bit of lock. How did that work out?

.im not to sure on that, but if matai wants to stay in the team he needs to go into the forwards. On last nights performance , especially his liability in reading attacking plays and defending them , i cant see him staying in the centres. Espacially when Lyon comes in to the team.
But if he is defending as a forward(generally the attack comes straight at you , and not sliding) then i think he could do well.

I'm thinking that Matai would be best off the bench as an impact player rather than starting the game. We could have someone like Stewart or Williamson (or even Monas :p) start and do quite a lot of defending and then have Matai come on as a second row or lock with maybe 10-15 to go in the first half and run around their tiring forwards.

I'm thinking that Matai would be best off the bench as an impact player rather than starting the game. We could have someone like Stewart or Williamson (or even Monas :p) start and do quite a lot of defending and then have Matai come on as a second row or lock with maybe 10-15 to go in the first half and run around their tiring forwards.

Exactly, i wouldn't start Mattai as a lock, but as an impact, wide-running second-rower he could be a sensation

I wouldn't rule him out as a winger though, depending on how he is under the high ball

I've posted before on the uslessness of Matai in the backline, he doesn't pass and can't tackle. Lock maybe but will need a better defensive coach than we have now to get him right. Clear out the coaching staff IMO.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2