Local Council Mergers Speculation

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ramrod

Reserve Grader
There have been speculations of council mergers in the Northern Beaches, including the Lower North Shore.

There's another article released today but this one from last week has more details:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/manly-mayor-jean-hay-mulls-mosmanly-megacouncil-as-merger-pressure-grows/story-fngr8hax-1227085452264

I would ask, how would this impact our club and territory.

If as proposed, Pittwater and Manly divide Warringah Council between them:

1. How would that impact our name if Warringah is dissolved and no longer exist?

2. Will we be the Manly-Pittwater Sea Eagles??

3. How would that impact our club and its history?

4. Will our Football Club be MPRLFC instead of MWRLFC?

5. Our old emblem with the "MW" looked like shoe laces on a football. MP just won't work.

"Mosmanly" name is just awful. If Mosman wants to be part of Northern Beaches, they should just be dissolved and become part of the Northern Beaches' Super council.

Regardless of how this will turn out, I hope we will keep our name as is, no matter what. I don't want us to be re-branded like the Roosters and blurred its history. To me, they are always Eastern Suburbs.

If the councils really had to merge, Warringah mayor Michael Regan's and State government’s preferred option of a single northern beaches council may be the better option. The council should then be called Manly!

The idea of Pittwater and Manly dividing Warringah up is ludicrous. If anything Pittwater returns to the fold in Warringah council after its annexation years ago.

Either way it has zero impact on the name of the club.
The only thing it will impact on is the funding provided. Perhaps a super council will seek to transform Brookie into the premier sports facility on the northern beaches, like we really deserve.

I agree with Warringah being split between Manly and Pittwater. Warringah has been one of the worst councils in NSW for 40 years. It has been sacked 3 times by the State Government in this time & tends to be run by developers. They destroyed the quality of life in Dee Why with over development of crummy flats and shops.

Manly and Pittwater are much nicer places, and better run. As a local it is easy to tell where Manly's border is and where Pittwater starts. The planning and streetscapes change noticeably.

Warringah has constantly dropped the ball on Brookie Oval, and doesn't seem to treat their major and only fee paying tenant with respect.

Council amalgamation need not change MW, but I'd have no worries being called Manly-Pittwater. I reckon we should have been MWP since Pittwater was formed anyway.

I'm all for Council amalgamations but it will take the NSW Government to legislate it because no local Councilors will vote themselves out of a job.
The suggestion that Mosman and Manly amalgamate seems dumb to me. Mosman should amalgamate with North Sydney, Willoughby and Lane Cove Councils to form a Lower North Shore super Council.
Manly should be part of one Northern Beaches Super Council.
As for how it will affect the club: I don't think anything will change.

MWSE said:
The idea of Pittwater and Manly dividing Warringah up is ludicrous. If anything Pittwater returns to the fold in Warringah council after its annexation years ago.

The only thing it will impact on is the funding provided. Perhaps a super council will seek to transform Brookie into the premier sports facility on the northern beaches, like we really deserve.

If you don't think that Brookvale is already the premier sporting facility on the Beaches, what is? Surely you're not a deluded Rat Park or Manly oval fan? THose places combined would be lucky to fit half the capacity of Brookie. Let alone the lights, corporates and so on.
It's miles ahead already. It just needs a bit more.

I'd support a super council to merge all three (maybe Mosman as well) but the thought of the two-headers up there in Pittwater taking over Warringah is scary. It's the one council that competes with Warringah for uselessness. Pittwater people think the world exists between Narrabeen and Palmy. It's where the whole Northern Beaches people don't travel stereotype comes from.
The bulk of the population live between Collaroy and Manly Vale on Pittwater Road. That is the hub of the area.

Duff said:
MWSE said:

If you don't think that Brookvale is already the premier sporting facility on the Beaches, what is? Surely you're not a deluded Rat Park or Manly oval fan? THose places combined would be lucky to fit half the capacity of Brookie. Let alone the lights, corporates and so on.
It's miles ahead already. It just needs a bit more.

I'd support a super council to merge all three (maybe Mosman as well) but the thought of the two-headers up there in Pittwater taking over Warringah is scary. It's the one council that competes with Warringah for uselessness. Pittwater people think the world exists between Narrabeen and Palmy. It's where the whole Northern Beaches people don't travel stereotype comes from.
The bulk of the population live between Collaroy and Manly Vale on Pittwater Road. That is the hub of the area.

You misunderstand me. Im saying it needs to be transformed INTO one. Not that there is an alternative on the northern beaches. We dont have one at all. In fact the closest one would come to being premier is Cromer Park with the best synthetic football turf pitch in the country.

Well, premier just means number 1. It can be as crap as it wants, as long as it's the best, it's the premier one. That's why I misunderstood. It is our premier facility.
So many people crap on about Rat Park and Manly oval every time something is mentioned about Brookie that you never know what people are tripping on.

Rat Park would only work if they leveled it and incorporated the ground behind it to build a modern stadium

Loobs said:
Rat Park would only work if they leveled it and incorporated the ground behind it to build a modern stadium

Who else remembers when that land was the tip?

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6