Libs to block Rudd's rescue initiative

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
CliffyIsGod link said:
Laboreconomicpolicy.com

I actually tried to go to that link  :-[ :-[

Gruggy link said:
So where do I get one of these crystal balls Zep?
If you are talking about the Defense budget, put it this way. Either a) we get taxed through the ass and free-trade goes out the window or b) you cut the budget.

The Liberals have already bought everything down to the bare minimum to get the bottom line back in the black so there is little to take money away from,
Education won't be touched.
Social welfare can't be touched.
Medicare can't be touched.
Defense force which has a large budget along with intelligence services is basically the only thing that can be touched and seems that there is thought that we don't need a large defense force. Wrong!. But alas. Maybe Rudd will explain to us how he can pull this off. I know whatever mess they leave us in this time we might not be so lucky in our choice of treasurer and PM in the years to come.

Garts link said:
Getting money for nothing - I figure I have never got a cent out of the government and have paid my taxes I want something back when everyone else seems to get some kick backs.  How can someone earning $80k get the $950 yet a couple earning $160k get nothing?

I read that a couple getting that much still get that amount, Households still get the bonuses.

Fact is really a couple earning $160 goes a lot further than 1 person earning $80k though

Dan link said:
[quote author=Garts link=topic=179100.msg206297#msg206297 date=1233800347]
Getting money for nothing - I figure I have never got a cent out of the government and have paid my taxes I want something back when everyone else seems to get some kick backs.  How can someone earning $80k get the $950 yet a couple earning $160k get nothing?

I read that a couple getting that much still get that amount, Households still get the bonuses.

Fact is really a couple earning $160 goes a lot further than 1 person earning $80k though
[/quote]

Not a great deal further though.  If I was not married I would be sharing a flat paying say $240 per week, now I live with my wife and we pay $480 per week.  Food is the same, entertainment the same etc etc.  There are some cash savings but not a great deal imo.

Anyway I hope it is the case is regarding households as you mentioned.  I would not mind something. 

Government doesnt think of flat sharing. How many of those rich boys ever had to do that?

They see you as single, and therefore think you pay all the rent and expenses yourselves. A couple spliut the costs more. THere are a few tax differences for a couple anyway

CliffyIsGod link said:
[quote author=Gruggy link=topic=179100.msg206304#msg206304 date=1233801864]
So where do I get one of these crystal balls Zep?

We're they thrown overboard with the refugees?

Laboreconomicpolicy.com

[/quote]

Dan link said:
Government doesnt think of flat sharing. How many of those rich boys ever had to do that?

They see you as single, and therefore think you pay all the rent and expenses yourselves. A couple spliut the costs more. THere are a few tax differences for a couple anyway

turnball shared a one and a half bedroom flat with his dad for years growing up.

I didn't expect this post to be shanghaied into a running advertisement for the Liberal Party. I need a bucket to come on here these days.

If you want that go set up another one called "I can't believe everyone kicked out Howard because the Libs are the best thing that ever happened to this country and those majority of Australians who voted Labor are idiots" or something like that.  ::)

ManlyBacker link said:
I didn't expect this post to be shanghaied into a running advertisement for the Liberal Party. I need a bucket to come on here these days.

If you want that go set up another one called \"I can't believe everyone kicked out Howard because the Libs are the best thing that ever happened to this country and those majority of Australians who voted Labor are idiots\" or something like that.  ::)

you read me like a book. Fvck i miss howard, i love the way he had the respect of everyone, even of those that hated him.

ManlyBacker link said:

If you want that go set up another one called \"I can't believe everyone kicked out Howard because the Libs are the best thing that ever happened to this country and those majority of Australians who voted Labor are idiots\" or something like that.  ::)

Get used to it MB :) . One term............Bring on Costello

I am surprised that the House of Reps needed a 5 hour briefing today from the Head of Treasury - they should have just asked Zep. He seems to know it all and the 'Daily Telegraph' lessons in fiscal and monetary policy are just grand. As for the patronising claim and calling others ignorant - made me laugh!!!! If you can't win an argument with rhetoric and common sense, play the man, misrepresent the issue slightly, exaggerate a bit and go on and on and on. As for Howard being respected, all credibility lost. (He was my local member and remember what happened to him?)

Canteen Worker link said:
I am surprised that the House of Reps needed a 5 hour briefing today from the Head of Treasury - they should have just asked Zep. He seems to know it all and the 'Daily Telegraph' lessons in fiscal and monetary policy are just grand. As for the patronising claim and calling others ignorant - made me laugh!!!! If you can't win an argument with rhetoric and common sense, play the man, misrepresent the issue slightly, exaggerate a bit and go on and on and on. As for Howard being respected, all credibility lost. (He was my local member and remember what happened to him?)

i put myself through university doing just this, Economic theory with a little futures trading. So yeah i might exaggerate a little but its how it gets the point across to someone who doesn't understand what the military and its spending influences the country, from the man who cleans sh!t from the drains through to the CEO of Bank. The same someone who doesn't understand the difference between a handout and a tax rebate except for the timing. No you have proven to me that you know nothing on the matter and that with little understanding and propaganda thrown at you from the same "Daily Telegraph" decided not to vote for the a great patriot whose only charge was to make a country strong, proud and respectful in the worlds eyes but most importantly the people who live here. Sure he was hated when he was ousted but the people who ousted him respected him. The major thing I cannot stand about Mr Rudd is how he rubs everyones nose in the fact that he is in power. Listen to him for one sentence and you realise what a arrogant a hole is. "This government", his number one hit. With Howard it was always "The australian government".

Lets go through the big three things Rudd promised during the election:
1. Say sorry to the aborignals
2. Bring the troops home
3. Work place relations.

1. Saying sorry is ok but what about helping those in native australians in NT, helping build schools. Trying to get people proud of themselves once again. One of the last things that Howard did before election night was to ensure there was a plan for that part of Australia. Was is followed through with? probably not as all we could hear about was Mr Rudd saying something and not backing it up with actions. Might be his thing when people look back on him in history
2. 1 and a half years later and only a small portion has been brought home? Maybe he is waiting for the next election so he can promise the next third.
3. Yeah! lets put forward a bill that is essentially the same, not removing the current WPAs. Great job. Really to say more would be pointless.

Oh another one I love. Turnball before he was leader, when the Doc was. Submitted a bill to parliment. It was rejected by the Labour controlled houses and then two weeks later a near identical bill was submitted by labour. I lol'ed pretty hard at that.

Zep link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=179100.msg206361#msg206361 date=1233836240]

i put myself through university doing just this, Economic theory with a little futures trading. So yeah i might exaggerate a little but its how it gets the point across to someone who doesn't understand what the military and its spending influences the country, from the man who cleans sh!t from the drains through to the CEO of Bank. The same someone who doesn't understand the difference between a handout and a tax rebate except for the timing. No you have proven to me that you know nothing on the matter and that with little understanding and propaganda thrown at you from the same "Daily Telegraph" decided not to vote for the a great patriot whose only charge was to make a country strong, proud and respectful in the worlds eyes but most importantly the people who live here. Sure he was hated when he was ousted but the people who ousted him respected him. The major thing I cannot stand about Mr Rudd is how he rubs everyones nose in the fact that he is in power. Listen to him for one sentence and you realise what a arrogant a hole is. "This government", his number one hit. With Howard it was always "The australian government".

Lets go through the big three things Rudd promised during the election:
1. Say sorry to the aborignals
2. Bring the troops home
3. Work place relations.

1. Saying sorry is ok but what about helping those in native australians in NT, helping build schools. Trying to get people proud of themselves once again. One of the last things that Howard did before election night was to ensure there was a plan for that part of Australia. Was is followed through with? probably not as all we could hear about was Mr Rudd saying something and not backing it up with actions. Might be his thing when people look back on him in history
2. 1 and a half years later and only a small portion has been brought home? Maybe he is waiting for the next election so he can promise the next third.
3. Yeah! lets put forward a bill that is essentially the same, not removing the current WPAs. Great job. Really to say more would be pointless.

Oh another one I love. Turnball before he was leader, when the Doc was. Submitted a bill to parliment. It was rejected by the Labour controlled houses and then two weeks later a near identical bill was submitted by labour. I lol'ed pretty hard at that.
[/quote]

And Zep you forgot about fast speed broadband and impriving the environment as other election promises that are yet to be delivered. 

But it is good to see that at least part of the last handout to the needy was well spent

An extra $500 million was fed into club slot machines in December compared with the previous December.  The increased turnover yielded an additional $40 million in revenue for clubs and was just $8 million shy of the amount collected in December 2006.

And now Rudd wants to build another 20,000 housing commsion homes.  If anyone watched TV last night $385m alone is spent by NSW repairing damage to housing commision homes by tenants and $980 by all states Australia wide.  And this is just for damage repairs. 

The government would be better off kicking out the scum who damage taxpayer houses and reducing the costs to the taxpayer and using the money saved to build the new homes. 

The poker machine increase in trade is true.  My mate is licensee for a number of pubs and said the turnover jumped as soon as the bonus was paid, all the bums came in droves with the handout.  Although can hardly blame the govt for that, alot of people would have spent it on worthwhile items, the lower end of society will always do sh!t like this.  They spent their dole money on this sort of stuff so it was not unexpected. 

The government infrastructure plan seems to get all of you Lib supporters approval. That way the bums can find accomodation under the bridges and overpasses that have just been built.

Simon Crean has more chance of leading a party to government than Costello has. Keep the candles burning boys because as the recession gets deeper and colder everyone will remember that the Libs delayed the lifeline that may have helped at the time.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8