Lesbian couple sues over twins

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
A LESBIAN couple is suring a Canberra doctor after one of them gave birth to twins instead of one child.

In the first case of its kind in Australia, the couple, who now live in Melbourne, are suing Dr Robert Armellin for more than $400,000 to cover the cost of raising one of the twin girls until the age of 21.

The birth mother of the girls, who are now aged three, claims Dr Armellin implanted her with two embryos, when she told him minutes before the IVF procedure in November 2003 that she only wanted one.

The women, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, told the ACT Supreme Court today the mother suffered nausea during her pregnancy and in the latter stages could only move around with a walking stick.

She said she and her partner briefly considered adopting out one of the girls but dismissed the idea.

"You thought: `Which one am I not meant to have'?" Dr Armellin's barrister Kim Burke asked.
"Yes, I did," the woman replied.

She said adopting out one child would be unfair to both girls.

"The primary consideration was that adoption shifted the burden of responsibility for this situation onto the children," she said.

"The burden is not the children's to bear. The burden is ours alone."

The woman said she enjoyed some aspects of the pregnancy, such as decorating the girls' nursery, but other parts were distressing, including purchasing a pram.

"It was like the last frontier of acceptance to spend hundreds of dollars on a pram," she said.

The couple, whose combine income exceeds $100,000, are seeking $398,000 to cover the costs of raising one of the girls, including private school fees.

They also want around $15,000 to compensate them for time off work, plus an additional amount for medical expenses.

The case is the first of its kind in Australia, Ms Burke said.

There have been two other similar cases in the United Kingdom, where the names of the plaintiffs have also been suppressed.

The civil hearing before Justice Annabel Bennett continues.

I love the fact that she actually said:
"The burden is not the children's to bear. The burden is ours alone."

Then why are you suing the doctor? His lawyer should have been all over that!

I'd be also interested to know if she told the doctor "I only want one embryo" or "I only want one child". IVF is difficult at the best of times... she probably would have sued if none of them took: "I told him I wanted one, not none!"

fLIP yes it would be a big deal if they werent lesbians. FFS they should be happy for the children they have not upset that they have 2. absoluutely disgusting. if i didnt feel so **** right now i would rave on for an entire page

Fluffy generally through IVF multile births are only possible if more than one embryo is implanted. It is quite rare for them to split.

My sister went through this procedure about a half a dozen times, with only 1 embryo being implanted at a time for this very reason.

She only wanted 2 kids and she didnt want to take the risk of having triplets etc.

If they only requested 1 embryo be implanted, than thats what should have happened.

If you went to the bank and asked for a $40000 loan and the bank turned around and gave you an $80000 dollar loan and said now pay that off in 20 years, would you complain?

Mind you this issue is really about what was explained would happen to the women prior and during treatment. If it was clearly explained and she knew the procedure, for her to change her mind seconds before it happened may be within the law.

not really a good comparison clon, you can give $40k back, not quite as easy with a kid

Just think...they could have asked me to bang the both of them for free....and they probably would have ended up with one....if lucky !!!

win/win..

Eh? Eh? Eh? Hehehehehe...

Did anyone ask the children if they want to be raised by Lesbians????
ONly thinking of themselves.

You would have no issue thinking your mum was hot!!!
Needless to say , I reckon he/she would grow up with serious issues towards men.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6