Lebanon Explosion ... now

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
That blast was extreme. Until a couple of years ago I was living in Newcastle where Orica has a giant store of ammonium nitrate. If it was detonated it would cause similar damage stretching all the way to Charlestown, according to Australia's leading explosives expert who came and addressed our community group at one stage.

(That community group arose in response to Orica spilling carcinogenic crap all over Stockton and not telling anyone. It turns out they are almost continuously breaching environmental safeguards, and typically get fined $1000 or something ludicrously small)

It was massive!

• Nearly 80 people dead, 4,000 injured
  • Highly explosive materials were stored at port, says minister.
  • Blast felt as far away as Cyprus, more than 160 kilometres away.
  • Lebanon's Red Cross chief calls it "a huge catastrophe."
  • Former Montrealer confirmed among the dead.
  • Lebanese president recommends two-week state of emergency for Beirut.
  • Israel says it played no role in explosion, ready to help Lebanon.

That blast was extreme. Until a couple of years ago I was living in Newcastle where Orica has a giant store of ammonium nitrate. If it was detonated it would cause similar damage stretching all the way to Charlestown, according to Australia's leading explosives expert who came and addressed our community group at one stage.

(That community group arose in response to Orica spilling carcinogenic crap all over Stockton and not telling anyone. It turns out they are almost continuously breaching environmental safeguards, and typically get fined $1000 or something ludicrously small)

Maybe something will happen now? But the cynic in me thinks probably not.

Its crazy. Also an obvious security threat, one bomb or missile to take out Australia's major port. Wouldn't even need that, even a routine industrial fire (or a plane crash - its near Williamtown airport) would set it off. Scandalous really.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4