Lawyer cries foul at ugly chicken wings

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
A northern beaches lawyer and keen rugby league supporter has warned that NRL players could face potentially costly civil law suits for chicken wing and spear tackles in the future.

Read More

A northern beaches lawyer and keen rugby league supporter has warned that NRL players could face potentially costly civil law suits for chicken wing and spear tackles in the future.

And
218939-steve-matai1.jpg
Andy Chrysiliou, the principal of Chrysiliou Lawyers in Brookvale, said the NRL should also consider its own fines against coaches when their players used chicken wing tackles.

He was prompted to speak out following the ugly chicken wing tackle used by South Sydney forward George Burgess on Manly centre Steve Matai.

"I thought it was absolutely disgusting," Mr Chrysiliou said.

The tough as teak Sea Eagles star Matai subsequently missed last Sunday's game with the Titans due to a shoulder injury while Burgess pleaded guilty to a dangerous contact charge and received a two week ban.

"A spear tackle or chicken wing tackle could give rise to action to recover damages from the player suffering the injury," Mr Chrysiliou said.

He said the Civil Liability Act of 2002 imposes limits on civil liability.

But he warned that excludes liability for an act that is done with intention to cause injury.

"So substantial damages could be awarded in such cases depending upon the circumstances," he said.

"Also I do not think players have any idea of what a guilty plea to a charge could expose them to in respect to civil liability where injury is involved."

Mr Chrysiliou, who is also an alternate director of the Sea Eagles, said incidents like the Matai tackle highlighted the need for the NRL to take a strong stance on dealing with serious tackles.

"I think that if there is a chicken wing tackle then the coach should be fined in addition to the player suspension," he said.

"Coaches are fined for criticising referees, so there is a precedent for introducing a fine on coaches for deliberate player attempts to cause injury."

Mr Chrysiliou has a long association with rugby league and is a dedicated Sea Eagles supporter.

"I even recall watching Rex Mossop play in his short sleeve jersey which was a bit of a novelty in those days," he said.
Jon Geddes
Manly Daily

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/northern-beaches-lawyer-cries-foul-at-ugly-chicken-wings/story-fngr8iii-1227029509978

I like his point - 'pleading guilty to a charge at the MRC can open you up to civil action' :cool:

'Admit nothing; deny everything; make counter-accusations.'

So on a serious note would this give rise for Alex Mckinnon to go the Melbourne Storm and the three players who lifted him in the tackle and maybe also Newcastle for not providing a safe-working environment?

Then, were does it stop a broken neck, a broken arm a skinned knee?

Daddycool08 said:
So on a serious note would this give rise for Alex Mckinnon to go the Melbourne Storm and the three players who lifted him in the tackle and maybe also Newcastle for not providing a safe-working environment?

Then, were does it stop a broken neck, a broken arm a skinned knee?

I think I am going to sue the Pinkies for unjustified excessive anguish that I have suffered in recent years as a result of their actions.

Souffs do chicken wings that would make former WWF Heavyweight Champion Bob Backland proud (his 'finisher' was the cross-face chicken wing).

The difference is that he didn't apply the hold to injure his opponents.

The Vermin can cry that they have no injury intent all they want, but the fact is that the chicken wing in rugby league is a lot different to what you see in a wrestling ring. In pro wrestling the opponent knows its coming and knows that there is no intent to injure. A tackled player (eg Skivvy) doesn't know its coming and as they have the ball in one hand, they really have no way of protecting themselves.

Maguire is a student of the Bali Belly school. He then used the same tactics in the SL with Wigan and other clubs there weren't shy in speaking out about it. Now he's doing it with Souffs.

Related article:

Coaches should pay price for wrestling injuries: lawyer

September 11, 2014 - 1:05AM
Adrian Proszenko
SMH

A Manly powerbroker has slammed the wrestling tactics used by NRL clubs and believes coaches should be made to pay if an opposing player suffers a serious injury.

Andy Chrysiliou, the principal of Chrysiliou Lawyers in Brookvale and an alternate Sea Eagles director, has warned that players could face civil suits for causing injury through dangerous manoeuvres such as chicken wing or crusher tackles.

"If people want to go into wrestling, they should go into the ring, not a football field," Chrysiliou said. "It's not about wrestling or ripping someone's arm or dislodging his head. The whole basis of football is you tackle hard and try to cause as much impact as you can. That's all part of the game and you accept that the other guy is trying to hurt you.

"But when you go in there with wrestling moves, what they are trying to do is cause you an injury. I don't think that's part of football."

While the NRL's head of football, Todd Greenberg, said the governing body is all but powerless to eradicate wrestling from the game, Chrysiliou believed sanctioning coaches would solve the problem.

"The coach saying 'this is what we want you to do', and they should be accepting responsibility for the consequences," he said.

"If a player is suspended, he's just carrying out what he's told to do, I think it's unfair the coach gets away with it scot-free.

"Then there's the other complication that, if it's an intentional act and a player suffers an injury, there could be civil liability arising. Say a player is out for so many games, he [suffers financially] and his career is affected, he could sue for damages. If [a player] pleads guilty to a lesser sentence, it's going to work against you if the player sues you.

"I don't think anyone has sat down and worked through all the consequences of this. Someone has got to do something about it to prevent players getting injuries."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/coaches-should-pay-price-for-wrestling-injuries-lawyer-20140911-10f7j4.html

As he said though, you could only sue if you could prove intent, i.e. that the spear tackle or the chicken wing that caused the injury was an intentional act(which is what happened when Jarrod McCracken sued the Melbourne Storm - he won because Marcus Bai stupidly admitted him and Kearney were intending to hurt him in the tackle, albeit not to the extent that actually occurred).

You can't really sue for negligence because of the Civil Liability Act's restrictions around dangerous recreational activities and things which can be deemed obvious risks to a particular activity. Safe work environment wouldn't work either because of the nature of the contact in rugby league.

Related article:

New NRL wrestling tactic introduced ahead of finals series: The seatbelt

Chris Garry, Peter Badel and Todd Balym
The Courier-Mail
September 11, 2014 12:00AM

HERE is the new wrestling tactic NRL coaches fear will end in disaster during the finals series: “The Seatbelt’’.

The Courier-Mail can reveal the seatbelt tackle is the cause of the increase in crusher tackles this season.

NRL coaches want the dangerous tackle stamped out immediately.

It is the tackle that fractured the spine of teenage Ipswich Jets fullback Ben White last week.

Veteran referee Bill Harrigan has chillingly warned: “It could ruin a player’s career’’.

The Seatbelt involves a defender wrapping his arms around an attacker from behind and holding him upright until the referee calls held.

The defender then throws him to the ground and it often puts pressure on the attacker’s neck.

The current ruck interpretations allow defenders one more movement once the referee calls held.

A simple solution is to stop allowing the extra movement.

Click here to read the full article at FoxSports.com.au

TWO DOGS said:
The game is being destroyed by these wrestling moves. Like some, if it wasn't for my love of Manly I would not watch NRL. Grub Bellamy has ruined a great game.

And where did the Grubbitoh coach learn his trade ?!!!......oh yes that's right, in Melbourne.

What reward these days for a tackle around he legs ? Zip. Could all be changed if the tackled player actually had to get to his feet and play the ball with his foot. Other alternative is the referee counts to three using the 1 Mississipi, 2 Mississipi etc technique. If the NRL are wondering why TV ratings are down, look no furher than the grapple, crusher, chicken wing, crocodile roll, prowler, seatbelt o any other stupid named tackle. I am obviously biased, but I think we are at the lesser scale when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Related article:

With all the contenders getting a grip, here’s proof that wrestling is set to dominate the NRL finals

Nick Walshaw
The Daily Telegraph
September 12, 2014 12:00AM

SAY your prayers, take your vitamins and get ready to run wild brother ... because Hulkamania is sweeping the NRL finals series.

In scenes more suited to Hulkster, Ric Flair and Big John Studd, The Daily Telegraph can reveal the photographic evidence proving this year’s NRL finals series is all about the wrestle.

In the past six weeks alone, a staggering 16 players have been charged with illegal wrestling manoeuvres — most often the Crusher Tackle and, worryingly, the dangerous Chicken Wing.

Read More

Related article:

Chicken wings, cannonballs, crushers — this is how wrestling strangled life from the game

Nick Walshaw
The Daily Telegraph
September 12, 2014 12:00AM

A shadowy grappling move which, in the hands of this shadowy grappling coach, renders a footballer immobile by ... now watch closely here ... raking a forearm across your opponent’s face, then twisting his neck.

It’s a simple move, sure. But effective. One causing the eyes of every player gathered, right now, around this mysterious Melburnian to widen a little.

Read More

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4