Last 10 years recruitment gains

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Frogz

Bencher
Premium Member
Just sitting back on a quiet Monday and thought id flick thru Wiki and see what our last 10 years gains look like.
Anyway this is the list....

Gains: Cheyse Blair, Josh Starling, Delroy Berryman, Jayden Hodges, Tyson Andrew

Gains[edit]​

Gains[edit]​

Gains

2020​

Gains[edit]​

2021 gains​

2022 Gains
PlayeClubUntilSource
Ethan BullemorBrisbane colours.svg Brisbane Broncos2023[3]

Gains

Ben CondonNorth Queensland colours.svg North QLD Cowboys2025[8]
Austin DiasWests Tigers colours.svg Wests TigersTBC[9]
Cooper JohnsMelbourne colours.svg Melbourne Storm2023[10]
Kelma TuilagiWests Tigers colours.svg Wests Tigers2025[11]

I understand we have a large stake of our cap tied up in our big three but this just shows that there’s more at play than just that. Through our dominant years players would play for less to play for a club that offered more than football. Hope we can fix our issues off the field so it can start translating to success on it.

I understand we have a large stake of our cap tied up in our big three but this just shows that there’s more at play than just that. Through our dominant years players would play for less to play for a club that offered more than football. Hope we can fix our issues off the field so it can start translating to success on it.
The games changed , the managers have a much bigger say now , our recent exits are good examples , they didn’t want to leave but were talked into it for the $$$$

And don’t let that bull**** that the Roosters players stay for less money influence you , that’s absolutely crap.

To be expected.

Not like we are going to recruit absolute marquee names when DCE was already on the team and Jurbo and Turbo are home grown.

Not many left (if they are still any good anyway?) and not many starred after leaving Manly.

Not a good report card for our scouts; to their credit, some jnrs may kick on.

We have to identify our (many) weak positions and buy one or two Mr Bigs to lead the team.

I don't think Aaron Woods or his predecessors Nate Myles etc fit the bill at the end of their careers.

To be expected.

Not like we are going to recruit absolute marquee names when DCE was already on the team and Jurbo and Turbo are home grown.
Do they have to be marquee names? A decent set-up would identify and develop the unknowns into good quality players

**** me, I’d forgotten we signed Tim Moltzen. Along with a few returning favourites, what a list of the once weres and never would bes…

T Brothers updated in 2019. Was 5 years before that with nothing.
We still had the big names on very big money from our premiership winning teams until 2017. When they left we got Taupau, trumpeted at the time as the greatest signing in Manly's history (might even have been Arko who said that?) and also Walker. Both Turbos were up and about by then too and their pay packets were never small and quickly became huge.

We were hamstrung in recruitment by having to pay DCE a few 100k more because the club botched those Foz/Cherry negotiations, then we had a salary cap penalty which held us back for 2 or 3 years.

Do they have to be marquee names? A decent set-up would identify and develop the unknowns into good quality players

You mean identify guys like Haumole and Koula when they were youngsters?

Or identify players like Saab and Garrick? When were they fringe first graders at an average club like St George?

I'm not giving the Manly club a free pass for their recruitment. They could have done better and so could every club.

But Spoiler alert - there are 15 and now 16 other teams trying to find the best talent out there.

That HIM ... that's the bloke I was trying to think of .... Cameron Cullen .... he was another World's greatest Dummy half .. who we just had to get into first grade to replace Api ... because Api was ****house and threw passes like a brickie ....

Cullen was another manufactured 9 and whose best positions were in the halves . A very competitive bugger though and would have a decent go in any position Had to make the choice between Manise Fainu and API , seemed a good idea [ just ] at the time opting for Manise, just the unpredictability of fate for it to be eventually a negative

We still had the big names on very big money from our premiership winning teams until 2017. When they left we got Taupau, trumpeted at the time as the greatest signing in Manly's history (might even have been Arko who said that?) and also Walker. Both Turbos were up and about by then too and their pay packets were never small and quickly became huge.

We were hamstrung in recruitment by having to pay DCE a few 100k more because the club botched those Foz/Cherry negotiations, then we had a salary cap penalty which held us back for 2 or 3 years.
But how conveniently everyone will forget many of those situations and just blame it on “ **** recruitment by a ****ed up club”.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4