Lack of pace

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Leho

Reserve Grader
Premium Member
Does any one else feel we lack that electrifying pace like we used to with snake (first set of knees) , hicks, robbo they would always finish those half breaks

Yep. Said it on the thread about signing Delroy. It about time we bought someone with speed cause its on thing our team lacks big time. Once the opposition makes a break against us these days 90% of the time they will go all the way to score. Matai and Lyon seem to be the only ones leading the chase and thats a bad sign if they are our fastest players.

effnic said:
Yep. Said it on the thread about signing Delroy. It about time we bought someone with speed cause its on thing our team lacks big time. Once the opposition makes a break against us these days 90% of the time they will go all the way to score. Matai and Lyon seem to be the only ones leading the chase and thats a bad sign if they are our fastest players.

Dont underestimate Lyons speed, have seen him run down Slater & last night gave Jennings 12 metres start & almost got him. Wolf is very quick, Taufua explosive & the halves are equal to most in pace. Throw in Lawrence, Choc , Horro, Buhrer, Symonds who are as quick as any foward pack.
In fact our front rower ran down their winger last night & its a good point you make, Roosters would have finished another 5 more tries off against other teams yet we reeled them in....

mozgrame said:
What about that break from Lawrence last night!! Awesome stuff.

Lawrence is very fast for a prop he ran down the roosters number 5 after they made a brake, and saved a certain try early in the first half.

I thought Tafua bombed a try, because he lacked speed/acceleration compared to some other wingers.

Who was pushing up on the inside of Jennings for us in his try. Not DCE the next one over?

IQofalimabean said:
mozgrame said:

Lawrence is very fast for a prop he ran down the roosters number 5 after they made a brake, and saved a certain try early in the first half.

It's not hard to run someone down after they make a brake. :p

bones said:
IQofalimabean said:
mozgrame said:

It's not hard to run someone down after they make a brake. :p

The Morris boys look like they have run down a bus or two after a big brake.

Bradza said:
manlyfan76 said:
Who was pushing up on the inside of Jennings for us in his try. Not DCE the next one over?

It was Foran chasing if that's what you mean.
There was another more on the inside who gained on Jennings at the end. Ill watch the replay tonight.

manlyfan76 said:
Bradza said:
manlyfan76 said:

It was Foran chasing if that's what you mean.
There was another more on the inside who gained on Jennings at the end. Ill watch the replay tonight.

Jamie Lyon was the one who chased Jennings and almost tackled him as he was scoring the try. Foran was the next one in who chased just as hard as Lyon and probably forced Jennings to score out wide rather than closer to the posts.

We have plenty of pace. We just need a bit more work on our attacking formations, as soon as Joey gets back from the races we'll be right.

IQofalimabean said:
mozgrame said:

I thought Tafua bombed a try, because he lacked speed/acceleration compared to some other wingers.

Taufua is certainly a devastating runner who I think is under-utilised since Glenn Stewart returned . He's also one of the slower wingers in the NRL and he doesn't link particularly well with support when he's in the clear. I remember some commentators waxing lyrical about his speed after he scored a long distance try against the Warriors in Perth last year from a Foran chip ...but Bill Tupou was running him down very quickly before mis-timing his tackle before Kevin Locke just missed him cold. Lyon has certainly lost some pace over the past few years but is still quick enough. Matai is the best dummy half runner in the game , but would be one of the slower centres going around. Wolf still has good pace despite his ACL repair last year. DCE has deceptively good speed , Foran runs hard and fearlessly but lacks genuine speed. Contrary to popular opinion Brett Stewart can still turn on the afterburners but is more selective in doing so. Lawrence has exceptionally good speed and Watmough isn't far behind him.

I agree that it would be good to have someone with express pace who would score almost every time they got in the clear (like a Martin Offiah) as long as they could also defend . However , the current problem is a lack of composure which translates to panic football. Some players don't look like they're enjoying their football at the moment.

BTW , Michael Jennings is nowhere near as fast as he was 3 or 4 years ago. I doubt he'd be in the top 10 fastest players in the NRL.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6