Knights chase Bellamy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DUFFMAN

Bencher
MELBOURNE coach Craig Bellamy is believed to be at the top of a hit-list of candidates to replace Parramatta-bound Michael Hagan at the Newcastle Knights at the end of the season.

The major stumbling block is the Country Origin coach is contracted to the Storm until the end of 2007.

Knights chairman Mike Tyler was reluctant to discuss the coaching issue yesterday, saying the club was working through the process and would announce a replacement "as soon as we can".

But he confirmed Bellamy would be a leading contender if he was to suddenly become available.

"Yes, I'd certainly imagine so," Tyler said.

"I'm not sure where he stands with his existing contract though."

Bellamy's manager John Fordham is aware of Newcastle's interest but claimed he has had no approaches from the club.

"The grapevine tells me they are very interested in him," Fordham said.

"I've heard from a few people up there that the Knights would love to get Craig but there hasn't been any official approach from the club."

Asked would Bellamy consider trying to gain a release from the final year of his contract to move to Newcastle, Fordham said: "I haven't spoken to him about it because there has been no approach."

Melbourne chief executive Brian Waldron was adamant Bellamy was going nowhere.

"They can look all they like, but the fact of the matter is that Craig has two years to run on his contract," Waldron said.

"He has just bought a house down here, his wife Wendy has joined him down here now that his children have finished school in Brisbane."

If nothing eventuates with Bellamy, Newcastle's coaching options appear thin on the ground.

Tyler said last week the club's criteria for a coach included someone with experience and the ability to communicate with players.

The experience factor may rule out any coach who has not previously held down a first-grade job.

High-profile coaches such as Wests Tigers' Tim Sheens and Graham Murray from the Cowboys are off contract and fit the bill but are unlikely to leave their current jobs.

Penrith's John Lang is also off contract as is Canberra's Matthew Elliott and the Eels' Brian Smith.

Former Manly coach Peter Sharp is in the mix while former Test coach Chris Anderson would appeal to the players.

It is understood the Knights' senior players, including Andrew Johns and Danny Buderus, met with club officials last week and were given an opportunity to air their thoughts on the coaching position.

Daily Telegraph

Krillich would be a very GOOD coach I reckon (regardless of past performances).
I'd like us to get Brian Smith if Des doesn't get us into the top 4 this year.

Krillich would be a very GOOD coach I reckon (regardless of past performances).
I'd like us to get Brian Smith if Des doesn't get us into the top 4 this year.

Smith? we dont want to be like the Bears and never win a GF ;) Sorry Ryan could not resist as I was watching a Manly dvd from 95 yesterday and we played the Bears in it.

No idea about Krillich making a good coach, all I have heard is he did not do much with our PL team a few years back.

I would hate Smith to have anything to do with Manly at all.

Krilich coached Reserves and we basically hardly won anything so he quietly stepped down without too much fuss!

Max told the knights that he had a 100% coaching record. He just fogot to tell them they were all losses.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6