Kiwi Tooves

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagle21

Bencher
Premium Member
Looks like our legend has applied for the vacant Kiwi position. Good luck to him!!

Would love to see him involved somewhere as a coach again.

9531C6C2-DA31-4B42-A17C-B9F81E3637C3.png

My 40+ years as a Manly devotee suffered a huge denting when Tooves was shafted. To be honest I've been unable to fully regain that unbridled devotion. Maybe one day. We've had some amazing players, but no one tougher, or who played with more heart than Tooves. The way Manly "management" treated him as coach was, and remains, disgraceful. If I could pick just one Manly figure who I'd like to see give Manly the invisible finger, it's Geoff Toovey. Hope to see him continue his coaching career and succeed with whomever is lucky enough to have him as part of their organization. Frankly, Manly don't deserve him.

Go 2V !

If he gets the job.... some kiwi on the bench wont get many minutes.

That's right, I went there, tooves hardly ever used the full bench and got ragged on about it on these forums .... so there.

Toovey speaks:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/06/geoff-toovey-why-ive-applied-for-new-zealand-kiwis-coaching-job/

"New Zealand is a country full of terrific athletes and there are quite a few of them [that] are rugby league players," Toovey said.

"So the multitude of talent there alone would be exciting to be a part of that.

"Whenever you've got a group of talented people striving to be the best, as a coach you want to be among that.

"I also think the Kiwis have under-achieved as far as their potential goes."

Toovey's most recent coaching stint – with Bradford Bulls in Super League – had its issues, with the club winning just six from 26 games during his tenure.

But his record at Manly is all quality – three finals series from four years in charge (2012-2015) including the 2013 Telstra Premiership grand final appearance against the Sydney Roosters.

The Sea Eagles won 61 of the 105 games Toovey was in charge. He was sacked to make way for Trent Barrett in 2016.

Toovey applying for the Kiwis job doesn't mean he has given up on re-entering the NRL coaching ranks. He applied for the Gold Coast Titans job last year.

Former Manly coach Geoff Toovey has put his hand up to coach the New Zealand Kiwis as he makes a bid to return to rugby league's elite coaching ranks.

"I have applied and sent off my resume," Toovey told NRL.com on Friday, two days after applications closed to the NZRL after David Kidwell ended his two-and-a-half year tenure in late January.

Kidwell announced he would not be reapplying for the post after winning three Tests from 10, including just two from four played in the 2017 World Cup with all of New Zealand's games at home.

The Kiwis failed to make the semi-finals after losing to Tonga in the preliminary rounds and then Fiji in the quarter-finals.

But it is the calibre of players in that Kiwis side of last November that Toovey would love to get his hands on from forwards like Martin Taupau, Addin Fonua-Blake, Joe Tapine, Nelson Asofa-Solomona to the backs like Shaun Johnson, Te Maire Martin, Kodi Nikorima and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

"New Zealand is a country full of terrific athletes and there are quite a few of them [that] are rugby league players," Toovey said.

"So the multitude of talent there alone would be exciting to be a part of that.

"Whenever you've got a group of talented people striving to be the best, as a coach you want to be among that.

"I also think the Kiwis have under-achieved as far as their potential goes."

Toovey's most recent coaching stint – with Bradford Bulls in Super League – had its issues, with the club winning just six from 26 games during his tenure.

But his record at Manly is all quality – three finals series from four years in charge (2012-2015) including the 2013 Telstra Premiership grand final appearance against the Sydney Roosters.

The Sea Eagles won 61 of the 105 games Toovey was in charge. He was sacked to make way for Trent Barrett in 2016.

Toovey applying for the Kiwis job doesn't mean he has given up on re-entering the NRL coaching ranks. He applied for the Gold Coast Titans job last year.

"Not at all. I still want to coach at NRL level. But I look at the opportunities around, and this (Kiwis job) is a fantastic responsibility and opportunity," he said.

"It's different to the NRL or Super League. Firstly, it's a great honour to be a coach of a national team but it's not quite the same day-in, day-out of a club coach.

"It is still a lot of planning and positioning to get everything in place. But whereas with a club you can change things around week to week as you build your players, for a Test you've got to have everyone primed for that one game," Toovey said.

"There's no room to try things later on. That's a challenge I'd like to try."

He is even prepared to leave his northern beaches home in Sydney and move to New Zealand.

"I am relatively free now and have no ties to keep me here. But I'm not sure of the specifics entailed with the job yet," he said. "But I am flexible."

I hope if Tooves is successful as Kiwi coach, should he get the job of course, that its a springboard for him to either be back in the NRL (hopefully with Manly, though I can't see it while the Penn's are still owners) or as NSW or Kangaroos coach somewhere down the line.

I really want him back at Manly. I loved his passion and Ricky Stuart on the sideline last weekend reminded me of that. I also thought that the Tooves tactics were good. I was wishing he could at least replace Cartwright. I know that really is wishful thinking. I hope he gets the job in New Zealand.

The unfortunate thing is that while the Penn's own the club, Geoff Toovey will not be at the club in any official capacity. Those bridges were burnt to the ground in 2015.

I still think Tooves was collateral damage for being seen to be on the side of the Quantum half of the then ownership group. If he had been closer to Zorba, the so-called senior players clique, and of course the Penn's then its likely he would probably still be coaching us to this day.

Go Toovs. If he gets the job I'll even change my avatar name to @dooble hups and become and honourary kiwi. Hmmmm I hope all those things said about kiwis and sheep aren't true!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6