King ruled out of Manly NRL opener

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
You make the assumption that he was not asked to stay on since we were already losing 3 of our starting props from last year and a 4th was in doubt

tookey said:
He should have retired last year to allow us to sign another prop. Selfish

Don't know if your serious or not, but this has merit. Soaking up $200k odd per year, that could be used to extend other players, while for the majority he rides the pine.

We need that cap space. While his experience, leadership and passion for the brand is never in question, we need able bodied players on the field.

BUT, he's 33 this year, and I don't think played a full year for a very long time. He shouldn't hang on so long. Not making it back round one, after having all of last year off, should have said something to him.

He's already immobile (especially laterally) and slow around the ruck (especially in defense). I shudder to think what his size, pace and mobility will be going forward.

Fluffy said:
You make the assumption that he was not asked to stay on since we were already losing 3 of our starting props from last year and a 4th was in doubt

We would have been better off retaining Kite as at least he plays most games and is not under the same constant injury cloud King is now under and has been for the past few years.

tookey said:
Fluffy said:

We would have been better off retaining Kite as at least he plays most games and is not under the same constant injury cloud King is now under and has been for the past few years.

The reason Kite went was because of his bigger pay packet & his contract being up. It was not due to Kingy being preferred.

mickqld said:
NRL 360 reporting King is out indefinitely. I reckon he has had full contact training and the shoulder just isn't up to it. He may be out for a while yet.
I wondered this too. Hope it aint so.

Ryan said:
tookey said:

Don't know if your serious or not, but this has merit. Soaking up $200k odd per year, that could be used to extend other players, while for the majority he rides the pine.

We need that cap space. While his experience, leadership and passion for the brand is never in question, we need able bodied players on the field.

BUT, he's 33 this year, and I don't think played a full year for a very long time. He shouldn't hang on so long. Not making it back round one, after having all of last year off, should have said something to him.

He's already immobile (especially laterally) and slow around the ruck (especially in defense). I shudder to think what his size, pace and mobility will be going forward.

One cannot suggest that he is anything other than 110% Manly....BUT...I agree it's been a long time since he's completed a season relatively injury free and to be honest I thought after last year he may have pulled the pin.

Doubt that would have secured Kitey but might have stopped the loss of Rose

Mark from Brisbane said:
Ryan said:
tookey said:

One cannot suggest that he is anything other than 110% Manly....BUT...I agree it's been a long time since he's completed a season relatively injury free and to be honest I thought after last year he may have pulled the pin.

Doubt that would have secured Kitey but might have stopped the loss of Rose

Pretty hard to pull the pin when you have another year to go on at least $350,000, and maybe more if backended.

I miss big Georgey already

If the young props don't step up we could be seriously effed. Halves will get smashed rendering them useless. Just sayin...

We've got a bit of a safety net in the shape of Watmough.

Even if the props take a while to get sorted, he will still give us a fair bit of effort to push the ball up. I'm expecting much the same kind of effort as last year from BJ as well.

We should be ok. I agree King should have stepped aside though.

This year will be is his last, I am pretty sure his contract runs out then. Hope he strings a decent number of games together for us. But I think we have enough depth (glass half full). Although we will need at least 2 unproven front rowers to stand up, its a big ask.

Now we have Mark O'Meley and Mark Mexico as two 80 minute players, with Aaron Woods in reserve in case of injury. We're fine.

Having watched Souffs bash up the Easts' pack we need Jason back asap. My concern is his speed/mobility. The game is faster now and I fear he may be found wanting.
I believe the ideal modern-day prop is like Brenton Lawrence - tough, fast, agile. Not a slow big bopper like Kasiano. I think Hasson fits into this mould. Time will tell.

I saw him this week - he is no threat to anyone:s

I just hope that he has a mentor role, to pass on tactics. Physically, DCE makes him look frail :(

BJ and Starlo look like twins, may they star as ne next big things at Brookie :angel:

HappilyManly said:
I saw him this week - he is no threat to anyone:s

I just hope that he has a mentor role, to pass on tactics. Physically, DCE makes him look frail :(

BJ and Starlo look like twins, may they star as ne next big things at Brookie :angel:

Are you saying that King won't play again?

No, just not looking big enough yet, compared to the rest of our Team. I know there were stories on his pre season lifting etc. Physically, on the beach, he didn't look like he could muscle any forward.

He should concentrate on comming back SOO time, when our forwards will be out or just needing a rotation - against weakend sides :idea: to get his match fitness up.

Last night showed that speed is the thing.
No rest when the Captains used to debate the Ref etc. The Beep freaks will overtake the strength guys.
JWH has added too much muscle, he was badly outplayed by Teo and Sutton for instance.

Hopefully I am wrong and Kingy plays a lot of minutes though :angel:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6