King & Gift

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

GraEddie

I know it sounds like Gift will probably end up playing out his career elsewhere but we need to remember that King may not get another contract next year either….that means 2 club stalwarts could not be around next year which means the ripples around the culture of the team will start to unfold…King and Gift are guys who have been there from the start and had great success along the way, if this is their last season i struggle to see us being competitive next year with the guys filling in now…yes they could prove me wrong but they are pretty decent players to be losing at the same time.

This whole situation with Gift could be a disaster if it is not sorted out soon. Something tells me i just don't trust DCE to be loyal to Manly if Gift goes and we throw the kitchen sink at him….basically we don't have any guarantees…

Throw in potentially losing Hiku, Buhrer, JSL it starts to look ugly.

I wish the club just sort this situation out this week. There was no point going to the NRL last week because they will never give a successful club like Manly any help at all….utter waist of time in my opinion.

bob dylan said:
If King retired now maybe we could keep Glenn.

Just saying.

I don't know what your saying…it doesn't make sense at all…every post you reply is a jibe at one of our players past or present….bottom line King and Gift don't have a contract next year….as if King would retire now at the start of the season after going through nearly 2 years of rehab to get back on the field.

Its a really difficult situation. This is where leadership and honesty is needed from the club. The Stewart situation is a festering sore and needs to be resolved so the media circus stops.

cards on the table time. The club needs to calculate value now. I dont want to see Gifty go but we must secure our kids. They are our future and the club should allow Gifty to move on.

Constantly painting the best half back in the competition as a villain is disgraceful :mad:

Loyalty seems to be only shown to those that have had a career :huh:
DCE is at the start of his and he is painted as greedy for maximizing his earning potential :dodgy:

If DCE goes and the aging forwards stay, what chance of continued success?

Forwards are prolific, halves are not :cool:

Manly retention have all the attributes and costs for their preferred roster, let them make the call.
They have served the test of time so far :)

I laugh when I read comments such as " David Perry needs to go this or the club needs to do that".

If any of you think that they are not moving heaven and earth to see this group remain together then you have rocks in your head .

The media are driving these stories, I bet Glen would be comfortable that things are being worked on and if he does have to leave it will purely be a money decision.

I hope he stays and money isn't everything, he stays and finishes with us and probably writes himself a ticket to work for the club post retirement.

I don't blame him for trying to get the most cash BUT he ultimately makes the decision .

Jason on the other hand will probably retire anyway , I'm surprised given his injuries that he hasn't already!!

Agree Mark. Surely we can set Gift up for life after footy. After all you are a long time retired from a football career. If he goes elsewhere it will be unlikely he'll get anything post career. Not saying anything that they don't already realise that's why we should all stop panicking and just wait for a decision.

I just have a feeling that Manly and Gift have come to some sort of agreement in that regard but are being stonewalled by that bald headed tool in the shed.

I would think the players know exactly what they are doing going to the press...basically to pressure the NRL into assisting the club

This is a response from the NRL from an email I sent them about Stewart/salary cap
.........................................................................................................
Thanks for your email. We appreciate you taking the time to write into us.

We are currently undertaking a full and comprehensive review of the Salary Cap. We took the view in 2013 that something so important to the game needed a thorough review to ensure that it was keeping pace with current trends and that is precisely the work we are undertaking.

It is important to note that the NRL already provide concessions to club for long standing and marquee players. Long Serving Player Allowance is for eligible players who have played eight continuous years of grade football with that club including Holden Cup and NSW Cup. The NRL also has a Marquee player allowance, meaning clubs can offer up to $600,000 from third party sponsors, wishing to utilise a players intellectual property, outside of the cap.

The salary cap is an integral part of the NRL; it keeps the competition even and gives every team a realistic shot of winning the Premiership. The media have talked extensively about the possibility of increasing the cap, however the reality is that clubs are struggling financially and an increase in the cap would see teams go broke and fold.

And while it might keep some players, most clubs cannot currently afford to outlay more money, even if they were allowed to. Which would leave the rich clubs buying all the best players, similar to what happens in European soccer.

If the cap is raised, then instead of losing a couple of players, you will lose a couple of clubs. And then we will lose even more players.

Again, we will be examining all aspects of the cap to ensure we have the right process in place to ensure an even and healthy competition for the years ahead.

I will ensure your feedback is registered, and we thank you for your support of the game.

Frogz said:
This is a response from the NRL from an email I sent them about Stewart/salary cap
.........................................................................................................
Thanks for your email. We appreciate you taking the time to write into us.

We are currently undertaking a full and comprehensive review of the Salary Cap. We took the view in 2013 that something so important to the game needed a thorough review to ensure that it was keeping pace with current trends and that is precisely the work we are undertaking.

It is important to note that the NRL already provide concessions to club for long standing and marquee players. Long Serving Player Allowance is for eligible players who have played eight continuous years of grade football with that club including Holden Cup and NSW Cup. The NRL also has a Marquee player allowance, meaning clubs can offer up to $600,000 from third party sponsors, wishing to utilise a players intellectual property, outside of the cap.

The salary cap is an integral part of the NRL; it keeps the competition even and gives every team a realistic shot of winning the Premiership. The media have talked extensively about the possibility of increasing the cap, however the reality is that clubs are struggling financially and an increase in the cap would see teams go broke and fold.

And while it might keep some players, most clubs cannot currently afford to outlay more money, even if they were allowed to. Which would leave the rich clubs buying all the best players, similar to what happens in European soccer.

If the cap is raised, then instead of losing a couple of players, you will lose a couple of clubs. And then we will lose even more players.

Again, we will be examining all aspects of the cap to ensure we have the right process in place to ensure an even and healthy competition for the years ahead.

I will ensure your feedback is registered, and we thank you for your support of the game.

That's a generic pre written response to any email sent regarding the Salary Cap. Nothing enlightening about it whatsoever.

In my most humble opinion this thread is ridiculous. Talk about painting a bleak picture! Pretty sure the recruitment staff at Manly have things well in hand. Operating within a salary cap always means there is hard decisions to make, its the nature of the beast. Players come and go all the time, including legends. Look at what happened to Beaver!

GraEddie said:
King and Gift are guys who have been there from the start and had great success along the way

Really??? They've been there since 1947???

Sorry, but it really annoys me when people suggest that the Manly culture comes down to a handful of players. The club IS the culture, and players buy into it when they come here. The current group of senior players have fostered and promoted the culture, but they did not create it. Surely if it could be removed, as such, it would have gone with Hasler to the Dogs, which it certainly hasn't.

Also, to sacrifice the best young playmaker in the comp to save a couple of 30+, injury-prone, albeit talented, forwards because you have 'a feeling' he may leave one day anyway doesn't seem like a great policy. In 3-4 years DCE MAY be gone. In 3-4 years Gift and King WILL be gone, as age and injuries catch up with them.

I really hope we can keep Gift, and King has shown this year he's got plenty still to offer as well, but DCE and Foran must be the priority in my opinion.

But the Telecr@p says we have an issue...So it must be right. The sky is falling.

Surely Ritchie and Slothfield know what's happening inside the many camp.....NOT

Frogz said:
Gee sorry for trying to enlighten you....hard to please some people

I don't think that Snake was having a go at you for your post. To me, Snake's negativeness type response was pointed more in the direction of the NRL for giving you a generic response instead of a more personal response.

IN other words, we won't do anything because it's Manly but if it affected the Dogs, Storm or the Roosters we'd act now.

What? Do they think we fans and clubs are stupid?

The 16 NRL clubs and their players have produced a competition that just got paid over $1billion for 5 years.

Without the NRL taking a cut that would be $62,500,000 going to each club over 5 years ($12,500,000 per club per year).

What a hide to say that clubs are struggling financially! The clubs are struggling as the NRL annual grant is $7,550,000 and that goes to the players via the cap .

What do the clubs get for their intellectual property helping to produce $1billion deal? Nada.

The clubs should get the full $12.5m, there should be no NRL office, and each club can look after local footy, juniors and schools from their $12.5m plus what $ the club gets from sponsorships, memberships and match day crowds.

Why should fans become members to help fund their club when the NRL is keeping from the clubs such a large % of the $1billion tv money? Clubs wouldn't even need paid members if the NRL handed over another million dollars to each club.

GraEddie said:
bob dylan said:
If King retired now maybe we could keep Glenn.

Just saying.

I don't know what your saying…it doesn't make sense at all…every post you reply is a jibe at one of our players past or present….bottom line King and Gift don't have a contract next year….as if King would retire now at the start of the season after going through nearly 2 years of rehab to get back on the field.

All 4400 of them?? Ha who new.

Have a look how many games King played in seasons 2011 and 2013. Then take a look where Manly finished. Then work out his importance to our team.

The fact is the asking price for his contract renewal is not possible for the club to meet and from what I have been told cannot come anywhere close due to the cap. The club will likely have some very difficult decisions going forward on who will be retained and who will be let go while at the same time trying to recruit future prospects and maintaining some decent depth across the park. If Glenn ends up going to one of the other 3 clubs currently interested then hopefully he is “gifted” with a big pay day from that club.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4