Kikau signs deal with Bulldogs for 2023, as picture in rival colours angers Panthers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I wonder where this leaves someone like josh Jackson? I think he is a good player (not sure about the $ as with a new team in there will be some inflation on contracts for existing first graders) but is that the player they need?

I wonder where this leaves someone like josh Jackson? I think he is a good player (not sure about the $ as with a new team in there will be some inflation on contracts for existing first graders) but is that the player they need?
Would have fitted in well with us a few years ago but can’t help but think his days are numbered now.

Wow massive overpay.
Canterbury has basically rebuilt its roster and nabbed a host of big names on big salaries. Frankly I can't see how it will be under the salary cap this year, and certainly not in 2023.
I liken what the Dogs' are doing to what the 'Fins have to do, so it will be interesting to compare the rosters of both club when the 2023 season starts. That will give us a good idea of how much Canterbury has rorted the system.

Canterbury has basically rebuilt its roster and nabbed a host of big names on big salaries. Frankly I can't see how it will be under the salary cap this year, and certainly not in 2023.
I liken what the Dogs' are doing to what the 'Fins have to do, so it will be interesting to compare the rosters of both club when the 2023 season starts. That will give us a good idea of how much Canterbury has rorted the system.
They’d have to be close to be over , at least in 2023 if not 2022.

Don't have a problem with the 12 month in advance signings considering the old days was mid season and even worse disruption to a teams run home into the finals with players visiting opposing teams training venues etc
But surely a little more tact is required and if poaching teams and players come to terms should be a rule of no promotion including pics in jersey etc till the following off season.
Easy to police by the NRL with offending teams docked 2 points and fined the equivalent of 1 season contract payment that will make them think twice about pulling stunts like this. Of course the media will go after anything but comes back to the teams and players responsibility to deny those opportunities for happy snaps to be taken.

What can you do about a player not putting in because he has eyes on another gig in the last 12 months ? Possibly introduce performance clauses into contracts once a player has signed elsewhere ? Enforced by the nrl not the team. Maybe a team gets some contract relief if said performances deserve dropping to reserves rather than releasing early, It's a bit trickier but no plan would be bullet proof and just have to rely on the individual players professionalism.

Viliame Kikau copped his share of boos at Penrith’s premiership party, but Ivan Cleary said the star backrower would be “mad” not to take the riches on offer from Canterbury.

Each Panther received a raucous reception from the 12,000 strong crowd at BlueBet Stadium, save Kikau, who copped a mixed bag from the Penrith faithful after a photo of him in a Bulldogs polo was leaked on Friday night.

Viliame Kikau copped his share of boos at Penrith’s premiership party, but Ivan Cleary said the star backrower would be “mad” not to take the riches on offer from Canterbury.

Each Panther received a raucous reception from the 12,000 strong crowd at BlueBet Stadium, save Kikau, who copped a mixed bag from the Penrith faithful after a photo of him in a Bulldogs polo was leaked on Friday night.
Reported in the DT that Kikau was angry that the photo came out. Maybe he should have said "no, I am still a Panthers player" when they asked him to put the jersey on.

This is Gould playing a card... he wants to take the pressure off Barrett and if the dogs are struggling next year with the team he already has, Barrett will bring out the "we are building", Kikau will be here next year blah blah..
It also keeps their fans and sponsors happy and hoping for better results as they know better players will be joining the club.
All about feel good news to the fans but this doesnt change the fact Barrett can't coach, especially over a long season and we will see cracks appear.

Reported in the DT that Kikau was angry that the photo came out. Maybe he should have said "no, I am still a Panthers player" when they asked him to put the jersey on.
Exactly, he could have posed for them in a doggies shirt after season 2022.

I reckon Gus &/or Barrett cajoled/pressed him to put on the shirt &pose for the photo with the promise it wouldn't be released & Kikau naively believed them.

So the Tele claim he was angry, do they have an evidence of that or just a concocted story ?

Exactly.
Could’ve shown huge integrity right there to both clubs.
Sure, announce that he’s signed but “I’m a Panther until October 2022”.
I’ve got no problem with that as the current rules allow it.

Can’t say he’s naive and was talked into putting the shirt on, have some personal pride about how you conduct yourself.
He can’t blame anyone else but himself unless of course he can’t dress himself!

Had a little chuckle to myself reading the Dogs are blaming the photo leak on security footage. What a load of bull. He was posing for a photo stop insulting everybody’s intelligence.

Pologate: Canterbury employee who leaked Viliame Kikau signing picture quits job.

The Canterbury League Club employee who leaked a photo of Penrith’s Viliame Kikau wearing a Bulldogs polo shirt has resigned.

News Corp can reveal the man is a high-ranking club executive earning an annual wage of around $200,000.

League Club management pinpointed a staff member early in their investigation with that employee being issued with a show-cause notice on Monday.

Pologate: Canterbury employee who leaked Viliame Kikau signing picture quits job.

The Canterbury League Club employee who leaked a photo of Penrith’s Viliame Kikau wearing a Bulldogs polo shirt has resigned.

News Corp can reveal the man is a high-ranking club executive earning an annual wage of around $200,000.

League Club management pinpointed a staff member early in their investigation with that employee being issued with a show-cause notice on Monday.

Wow, so it really was a leak & not just another Machiavellian move by Gus...

This is Gould playing a card... he wants to take the pressure off Barrett and if the dogs are struggling next year with the team he already has, Barrett will bring out the "we are building", Kikau will be here next year blah blah..
It also keeps their fans and sponsors happy and hoping for better results as they know better players will be joining the club.
All about feel good news to the fans but this doesnt change the fact Barrett can't coach, especially over a long season and we will see cracks appear.
I don't think one edge backrower can save him if they flounder badly in 2022. I also think Gus is ruthless and will save himself and throw Barrett under the bus if need be. Outside of Kikau, all their big names will be there for next year (Addo-Carr, Pagai, Burton, Vaughan, Dufty, etc.).

The funniest part was when I read that the photo was taken at the behest of Barrett as a momento?! WTF? He signed a piece of paper for **** tons of money; how is that a landmark achievement from Barrett? He needs to win some games first.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4