Kicking Game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Something we Really need to improve is the kicking game in general play...
Long kicks seem to fing the back 3 on the full or on the bounce.
Bombs are too long and taken with zero pressure or too short where there are no alarm bells at all.
The grubbers are often into opposition legs who simply win the ball back and have seen several kicks this year scooped up by the opposition who then make a 50m break when we were hot on attack??
There are a few reaons I have noted why...
Often due to the Manly attacker playing the ball slowly, their marker defence is up on the kicker with minimal time to hit it well...pretty much a rushed kick, unlike say Reynolds or Keary who have momentum and seem to have all day to place the ball where they like.
The other top teams also have in many cases a solid kicker out of dummy half which creates options and can release pressure
Anyone else noticed a below Average kicking game, as this is a major attribute to build a winning foundation and there's not many games I have seen Manly win the area....

DCE is a very average kicker in general play the majority of the time. Croker seems to have the best in-field kicking game in the team at the moment. Cust has a decent short kicking game close to the line but doesn't offer much other than that. I agree with you, we definitely need more kicks out of dummy half on 3rd or 4th tackle, when the fullback is least expecting it and the wingers aren't back. Pretty sure Levi has only taken one kick out of dummy half all year which is pretty worrying considering all the good teams have hookers who can kick. e.g Melbourne and Parra.

P.S. I'm not saying Croker is a better player than DCE or Cust because he is definitely not but I do rate his kicking game quite highly from what I've seen, especially out of dummy half.

Last edited:
The happening (movie)?

Kicks are rather important.

So 'sort yerselves out' kickers. How hard can it be to boot the ball. It's not like yer forwards!

100% his kicking game is below par of late. DCE kicks the occasional 40/20 which takes a bit of the focus off his generally poor long kicking game this season. As rightly pointed out too often his long kicks don't find the grass at all, or the space between back 3 if they do bounce. That costs the kick chase valuable seconds in getting down there and turning a kick into a good kick. He's got a good boot but lacks consistency in direction. His bombs have been generally pretty ineffectual of late, always seem to be too deep so we don't pressure catcher.

One of the things that really annoys me about his kicking is where he positions himself on the 5th, always seems to be too close to the ruck allowing the defense to put pressure on him more often than not. The consequence is a rushed effort that is poorly executed. When he does pull off a 40 /20 he is generally that little bit wider or deeper and he gets a good result with the extra time. He could do himself a favour by thinking a little bit more about his positioning. Yes I get that teams know he is our main kicking option, so why not make it more difficult to put that pressure on by getting wider of the ruck ? Good service from dummy half is also crucial obviously. But a little bit better execution and he will get better results. I recall that his kicking game against Parra was pretty good in the second half of that game and that kept us in the hunt.

I've just about given up on his short kicking game, he'd be hopeless at sewing because he can't thread a needle @:p

Our kick-off are also predictable and ineffective. Why is it that teams only try a different kick-off when they are desperate to get the ball back?
Also, many kicks are too long. You only want to find space and let the ball bounce or skid, thus creating uncertainty and also giving your chasers a better chance of recovering the pill. This is especially true with grubbers; you don't need to do any more than put the ball behind an opposition player; that's when chaos ensues.
I'd imagine our kicking game is the worst in the comp. Certainly it is the least rewarding, scoring just one try in 13 matches from a kick. And our kick-diffusing must also be the worst, conceding 18 tries from kicks this season.
Yet another reason why we need The Shoe in our team somewhere. He has got kicking skill and would be able to share the duties with DCE, thus our play would become less predictable.

100% his kicking game is below par of late. DCE kicks the occasional 40/20 which takes a bit of the focus off his generally poor long kicking game this season. As rightly pointed out too often his long kicks don't find the grass at all, or the space between back 3 if they do bounce. That costs the kick chase valuable seconds in getting down there and turning a kick into a good kick. He's got a good boot but lacks consistency in direction. His bombs have been generally pretty ineffectual of late, always seem to be too deep so we don't pressure catcher.

One of the things that really annoys me about his kicking is where he positions himself on the 5th, always seems to be too close to the ruck allowing the defense to put pressure on him more often than not. The consequence is a rushed effort that is poorly executed. When he does pull off a 40 /20 he is generally that little bit wider or deeper and he gets a good result with the extra time. He could do himself a favour by thinking a little bit more about his positioning. Yes I get that teams know he is our main kicking option, so why not make it more difficult to put that pressure on by getting wider of the ruck ? Good service from dummy half is also crucial obviously. But a little bit better execution and he will get better results. I recall that his kicking game against Parra was pretty good in the second half of that game and that kept us in the hunt.

I've just about given up on his short kicking game, he'd be hopeless at sewing because he can't thread a needle @:p
All true.....however I'm way more concerned at how badly we defend kicks.

Make away my friend i know you love manly. Im just bummed we are so bad
Getting pretty frustrated here too mate and feel your pain...I do think amongst MANY other things, we need a FAR better kicking game....in fact watching the Manly boring, robotic attack and lack of punch in defence is worse than the losses and not giving the likes of Hoppa and Schuster an opportunity to improve this lacklustre team, I simply don't get it....but anyways - what do you think of the kicking game mate ?? @;)

Getting pretty frustrated here too mate and feel your pain...I do think amongst MANY other things, we need a FAR better kicking game....in fact watching the Manly boring, robotic attack and lack of punch in defence is worse than the losses and not giving the likes of Hoppa and Schuster an opportunity to improve this lacklustre team, I simply don't get it....but anyways - what do you think of the kicking game mate ?? @;)
In general or in attack?
In general we do many dumb kicks ie cust kicking on the 4th to rts who runs to the 50 and they score b4 half time in essence winning the game right there.
Or attack we are probably the worst in the comp. No tries from kicks **** all repeat sets.. terrible options like kicking for jorges corner? Not garrick jorge.... then when dce kicks to garricks side its not high enough or far enough for him to get to.. so yeah kicking game is butt ugly. Croker does have 1 good kick out of dummy half once a game

Our kicking game and defending kicks is our achillies heel. This game is all about getting reset sets and making the opposition earn the ball when kicking. We time and time again turn the ball over with no pressure.

Dealing with kicks is a nonsense in our side. Our left side especially really is vulnerable. You would hope that they practice this as it is urgent that it improves!

DCE has a good kicking game that was consistent last season, this season he has been off with the boot.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4