Kelly aims for Matai's spot at Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
by Scott Bailey, AAP
February 26

He's yet to meet Steve Matai in person, but Manly youngster Brian Kelly is hoping to replicate his feats in the left centre position at Manly.

Brought down from the Gold Coast a year early by the Sea Eagles, 20-year-old Kelly is favoured to fill the key left centre role left open by Matai's injury-forced retirement.

A speedy option on the left-edge, Kelly has impressed a number of his teammates at the Sea Eagles over the off-season, putting his pace on show when he scored three tries at the Auckland Nines and another in their trial win over South Sydney a fortnight ago.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/c468eae836dcb238dfd27055241de495

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt Wright favoured? ... Jono Wright has been playing there!

We need an X factor in the centers with Dylan . Everyone knows what Jono Wright can do and that is very little . Mathew Wright has not been fit to play in any of the trials , so the most logical choice is the fit and ready X factor Kelly .
image.jpg

One does not simply emulate Steve Matai..
I don't know. Dean Whare did a pretty good job of it. Unfortunately for the Panthers he also emulated - and then exceeded - Matai's ability to pick up injuries.
But I get your point, Jerry1. There can be no greater accolade than saying, "That kid reminds me of Steve Matai." I miss him already.

Agreed. Like Brett, he was a once-in-a-generation player. Those hits... those charges down the left in heavy traffic... Kelly will bring something new, but he can't be another Matai.

On a funny note - iOS keeps predictive texting "Matai" to read "Maria"... please don't tell him.

No contract to Locke.

So Matai has not met Kelly, this seems strange. Should be coaching the young guy a bit whilst still on the books.

Maybe its a rule that you cannot be involved with the club if medically retired?

Seems that the members of the original cafe set are not coming to narrabeen at all these days.

Probably been told to stay away from the club whilst their retirements are being sorted in case the NRL or insurance companies take their presence as 'available/able for training'.

Last edited:
No contract to Locke.

So Matai has not met Kelly, this seems strange. Should be coaching the young guy a bit whilst still on the books.

Maybe its a rule that you cannot be involved with the club if medically retired?

I agree. First thing that came to my mind was "they haven't met?" I would have thought that Matai and Stewart would have at least met the new players and hopefully turned up to a training session or two to provide some guidance.

Sounds really strange!

In all the preseason stuff (until he got injured) I believe M Wright had the position all tied up.

Only reason Jono is there is because M Wright broke his hand and they obviously aren't convinced that Kelly is ready - hence the swapping between Kelly/J Wright?...

To me, the position is Kelly's every day of the week. He's young, dynamic and has a heap of potential. But you just get the feeling that Baz will go with M Wright for his experience....

Not long now, team list Tuesday tomorrow!

I think the position is Kellys. The reason i think TB started with Jono in the Roosters trial was that he knew that he was only going to play Jono 40min and wanted to give Kelly 80min (40min in each game) for match fitness to be game ready. Looks like he really wants Kelly on the park as much as possible.

I agree. First thing that came to my mind was "they haven't met?" I would have thought that Matai and Stewart would have at least met the new players and hopefully turned up to a training session or two to provide some guidance.

Sounds really strange!
I guess it's more like a job these days. Imagine at an organisation if a person's contract is not renewed or they are moved on - would they come and hang out with the new employee? No one wants to be like David Brent in the Christmas Special.

Barrett is saying he's not going to be coaching conservatively this season so Kelly in for J or M Wright is a no-brainer.

I guess it's more like a job these days. Imagine at an organisation if a person's contract is not renewed or they are moved on - would they come and hang out with the new employee? No one wants to be like David Brent in the Christmas Special.

Fair enough but my understanding is that they still are being paid for this year and I would have thought that they would be very valuable at training sessions. Surely if they still have contracts for this year, they would be happy to help out the team, even if they cant't train? All to do with being part of a team. I'd expect them to be there at the games this year, unless they are paid out for the year and no longer part of the team.

I'd hate to think that they would be happy to keep receiving a pay check and do nothing for it. Massive fan of Steve and hope he can impart his tackling technique onto some of the young guys!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4