Kapow & AFB ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Manly have 2 power runners who usually carry 3 defenders, bend the line, win the contact 95% & defenders seem pretty uncomfortable when they charge...as they should.
Have seen many Manly attacking raids in the opposition 10 metre line with passes to players drifting on outside arcs & pretty easy for defence to pick off, looking to create for the outside men with sweep plays & very few direct players asking questions.
Personally happy with Manly improving....but would love to see this option used more often....no doubt big Taumalolo & Cooper will be making direct power charges when close to the Manly try line...feel Kapow & AFB could cause similar damage in these situations....particularly at halves on the edges.

Do people think Marty should be used as an 80 minute player or an impact off the bench like he is for NZ?

The problem I am seeing with Walker is he is unable to keep the defence guessing. He makes a decision very early on whether he is going to run or pass and you can see it from the grand stand. He needs to be prepared to take a hit in order to attract defenders and (a) put Marty into a hole or (b) draw players in to open up space out wide or (c) break the line himself.

At the moment he is telegraphing the pass to the outside or just trying to step and fend his way through the line. Taupau will be better when the players around him create opportunities for him. The only impact he can have at this stage is to run hard and hope.

Just watched highlights from the Storm demolition of the Worriers and it illustrates the point of the original posts. Cameron Smith used short flat passes to charging forwards and they strolled over for several tries.
The Worriers were pathetic, but the ploy is certainly worth Manly trying.

The problem I am seeing with Walker is he is unable to keep the defence guessing. He makes a decision very early on whether he is going to run or pass and you can see it from the grand stand. He needs to be prepared to take a hit in order to attract defenders and (a) put Marty into a hole or (b) draw players in to open up space out wide or (c) break the line himself.

At the moment he is telegraphing the pass to the outside or just trying to step and fend his way through the line. Taupau will be better when the players around him create opportunities for him. The only impact he can have at this stage is to run hard and hope.
Agree 100% with that appraisal with Walker mate - but think even a 2nd forward tip on running that courage line off a short ball - even off Jake or Parcel - maybe even dropping off an unders ball -this will no doubt take time....most importantly that direct runner, rather than early ball, where defence has time to set up numbers have that 1 on 1 demolition derby you would expect these power players to win.
Have noticed Kapows lack of quality ball, often has him scooping up from dummy half like a winger - running diagonally & then charging straight, generally making 10-15 metres dragging 3 defenders....enough to get him across the line from 7-10 metres out - especially 1 on 1.

Many times even with DCE and Foran running the show if they are too wide as receivers they limit the amount of options to their outside just on sheer lack of space for numbers to flood a given area.

When lacking confidence or ball-playing options concentrate on shortening the pass from dummy half and having both halves play tighter. It gives the halves the option to push up alongside a fast play the ball but also does not cramp his outside options----it is imperative to get fast play the balls though. (it will help with playing more straight and direct also, but can become more predictable if over-done)

As the confidence builds then as the game progresses they can start taking wider positions as the fatigue factor kicks in.(you can remain short if you prefer to take advantage of fatigue around the ruck just saying there will be more space out wide for even average ballplayers to look half decent)

Cooper Cronk does this very well mixing up his position from short and tight to a little wider and deep, along with Cameron Smith working with the same short and wide balance with his passing.

Yep, I have been thinking along the very same lines - definitely agree with that. Just hit a massive forward moving at speed close to the line and we'll score more than we are doing now...

There is room in the team for both.
Tapau has been good but I was hoping for more from him then what we have seen so far.
He hasn't had that stand out explosive performance yet and I'm not sure why.
I guess it takes a little time to adjust aswell as he only avg 44 mins last year

The onus is on both the ball player and the runner when it comes to effective hole running. You can't put a player through a hole when he is hanging back waiting for early ball. There must be effective communication between the runner and the passer. I am not seeing a combination between Walker and Taupau and it's perplexing because they both have the skill set in their respective positions to be devastating.

Do people think Marty should be used as an 80 minute player or an impact off the bench like he is for NZ?
Power player definitely. I don't think we are getting the best from him (although he is doing fine) playing 80mins. Id like to see him play for 20mins spurts where Barrett basically says 'cause havoc' and just let him go nuts.

The way tapau is being used is a joke. In one of his games i forgot which one, he was taking numerous runs out of dummy half and barely making any metres. What is the point of that. He is also getting passes form walker with the defence a meter away from him and gets tackled straight away. This is not how to use a player as strong as Tapau. We need to give him early ball so that he can run and put on a fend and make 10 + meters.

There is room in the team for both.
Tapau has been good but I was hoping for more from him then what we have seen so far.
He hasn't had that stand out explosive performance yet and I'm not sure why.
I guess it takes a little time to adjust aswell as he only avg 44 mins last year
Would like too see more agreed, but taupau vs tigers was a standout performance from him

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6