Kangaroo Tours

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Kangaroo Tours to the UK could make a comeback.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ka...k/news-story/1005696548f22d8d381098b530cd2c9d

NRL heavyweight Shane Richardson is hoping to see old-fashioned three-Test Ashes series against Great Britain back on the rugby league calendar.

One of the key recommendations in Richardson’s long-awaited blueprint to grow the game announced on Tuesday was the return of meaningful Kangaroo tours of the UK and France.

While he couldn’t envision months-long tours like the old days of the 1978 Invincibles and 1982 Unbeatables, the NRL’s head of game strategy and development is pushing hard for more famous battles with the Lions.

With England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland now all challenging individually for World Cup glory, Australia haven’t played Great Britain as such since hosting the Lions for two Tests in 2006. It’s been more than a decade since the Kangaroos played the Lions in a three-Test series in the UK, but that could all change with Richardson proposing the introduction of a dedicated international window.

“That whole window that we’ve created for international rugby league at the end of the season brings back a whole lot of opportunities to grow the game and it’s really exciting,” he said.

“The resumption of an Ashes Tour would be fantastic.

“I don’t think we’ll be playing 26 games, but it will be against the Lions, not just England, and it will be a big deal.

“We’ll sell out Wembley and we’ll sell out wherever we go.” Richardson admitted the dynamics and logistics of any such Kangaroos tours were some way off being determined but he said Tests against France were also definitely part of the eight-year plan.

“And we’ll probably take an emerging Kangaroos side away with us as well to try and grow the game over there too,” he said.

“We’ve got to discuss it. There’ll certainly be four Test matches but we’ll discuss the other things like possible midweek matches later on.”

Don't get me wrong, the Four Nations are good to watch, but it would be nice to see some of the older things such as international tours return. There hasn't been a Kangaroo Tour since 2003 and other than Tri/Four Nations we haven't actually toured NZ since 1993. In fact, the last full Kangaroos Tour of NZ tour took place in 1989 because in the 1993 Trans-Tasman series the only games we played in NZ were the tests at Mt Smart and Palmerston North before the 3rd test was played at Lang Park.

I'd like to see the Kangaroos defend The Ashes again in a 3 game series against either Great Britain or England, be it here or on a Kangaroo Tour.

When do the players get a rest? :wondering:

The mental duress of being away from the family, let alone playing more games in between these Tests, is damaging the best players :mad:

When do the players get a rest? :wondering:

The mental duress of being away from the family, let alone playing more games in between these Tests, is damaging the best players :mad:

This could only work if there was a reduction in the number games in the season....and we all know the chances of that happening!

As an aside I am reading a book about the country team that won the first Amco cup. They used to play in the bush on Sunday, travel to Sydney Monday, train Tuesday, play Wednesday night, home Thursday...normally to work!

This could only work if there was a reduction in the number games in the season....and we all know the chances of that happening!

As an aside I am reading a book about the country team that won the first Amco cup. They used to play in the bush on Sunday, travel to Sydney Monday, train Tuesday, play Wednesday night, home Thursday...normally to work!
Problem now is the size of the players and the speed of the game.

The 1978 GF Replay Team were supermen of their time :angel:

• 🤝
Reactions: lsz
When you think about it, with the World Cup every 4 years the only way to bring back things like Kangaroo Tours, even if they only play tests and not against clubs like they used to, would be to scrap the 4 Nations either for good or every couple of years.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7