Just opinions please...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
I'd be interested in everyone's opinion on each of the following. No bees to attack others, just your own opinion:
1. Penn family as owners
2. Gorman as a CEO
3. Barrett as a coach

I'll start.

1. Penns have not sufficiently resourced the club and their toxic agendas have all but killed it.
2. Gorman is a proven CEO who has done wonders at other clubs and is being targeted unfairly by some fans. I can't imagine how hard it is to succeed at CEO in such a toxic environment.
3. Barrett was clueless as a head coach. His greatest achievement was the love of the players and that got him nowhere. Josh Reynolds spoke of the difference between an assistant and a head coach on 360 last night. An assistant is someone who was like one of the boys, who you could have a joke with. The head coach was someone you felt you had to do exactly what they said. Barrett is an assistant, at best.

I'd be interested in everyone's opinion on each of the following. No bees to attack others, just your own opinion:
1. Penn family as owners
2. Gorman as a CEO
3. Barrett as a coach

I'll start.

1. Penns have not sufficiently resourced the club and their toxic agendas have all but killed it.
2. Gorman is a proven CEO who has done wonders at other clubs and is being targeted unfairly by some fans. I can't imagine how hard it is to succeed at CEO in such a toxic environment.
3. Barrett was clueless as a head coach. His greatest achievement was the love of the players and that got him nowhere. Josh Reynolds spoke of the difference between an assistant and a head coach on 360 last night. An assistant is someone who was like one of the boys, who you could have a joke with. The head coach was someone you felt you had to do exactly what they said. Barrett is an assistant, at best.
What are their "toxic agendas"? I am asking as I honestly have no idea or seen any statements from them re something remotely like an agenda.

Ok agreed with Penns could do more definitely or sell club,Gorman is going to be good i feel ,Barrett has had alot of problems most inherited but not ideal situation for rookie coach ,need someone with experience going forward

What are their "toxic agendas"? I am asking as I honestly have no idea or seen any statements from them re something remotely like an agenda.
I believe its the hamfisted way of trying to get 100% ownership :swear:

Delmege was painted as a drunk in media reports

'Irrelevant' Football Club of 'faceless men' takeover attempt

Qantum Owner being painted as a troublemaker in the media and

2v 'losing the players' or 'too close to the players' spins in the media

We await the CEO who has the nous to stop Manly cannibalizing itself :nerd:

Was about to answer then saw Happily Manly's response and she nails it!

It’s been a tough few years, that’s for sure. In owners, the CEO and the coach, we need people that have the ability and the desire to unite, not divide. I think only the CEO has what it takes, but he is completely neutralised if the owners don’t get over past grievances.
As for Baz, I won’t stick the boot in. Unfortunately, we took a punt on an unproven cheaply priced coach and it didn’t work (surprise!). Simply, he was too green for this gig. I hold the people who appointed him more responsible.

Agree with most you say Budgie.

Whilst a toxic environment was definitely present in years gone by not sure what is toxic right now??

My dealings with staff and CEO over recent months have been very positive from what I can see there is a good relationship between them and the footy department.

The "war" waged by the Penn faction (ZtC) against all who ever disagreed with him/them is what removed the Manly DNA from this current franchise. FC, Eagle Angles, ex players, fans, Home ground/ crowds, CEO's, and on and on.

No other management in the clubs history has damaged the brand so much as the current administration. Now we can't keep a rookie coach and memberships and crowd figures are at the lowest.

Lyall seems to be quite good, but MUST be doing as he is told or like all the others he would be out the door.

Barrett seems to be an average coach. He should never have been given the job without a director of football looking over him.
Carty is not that guy either.

It is what it is now regardless of any past events or circumstances . Penns now have a responsibility and a duty to full fill their stated intentions to better resource the club . Bazz if he wants out [ which appears to be the case ] should ensure that the team can finish the season well with minimal distractions and in the best frame of mind to compete well. Gorman simply to maintain some stability and order and be proactive on what should transpire now for the club"s best interests , isolate the players from any short term or on going administration or more delicate club matters and just settle on some coaching staff who want to be at Manly for the right reasons .. .Players hopefully should accept that they are fully professional sportsman who should be able to just concentrate on the remaining games and play the footy expected of them, again regardless of any of the speculation or behind the scenes activities in the club right now .

Funny how these days a coach needs to have an assistant coach. Never used to be the case.
Is it like a company CEO needs a personal assistant to take dictation and bring him his/her skim Lattes?

Looking forward to seeing how the Gould League go with Trunt as nice guy coach next year.
giphy.gif

It's the dawn of a new 5 year plan!

1. Penn family as owners
2. Gorman as a CEO
3. Barrett as a coach

I'll start.

1.Slack. Know not what they do.
2.Effective if left alone
3.Weak. Out of his depth.

The owners have installed a culture of my way or the highway!! We are under funded and under resourced and their treatment of our members and fans fas been so poor. No answers about our home ground or the direction of where we are heading and anyone who they perceive as unaligned is frozen out.

Gorman has a thankless task. The club is in such a dreadful mess! He needs to bring in some discipline and accountability!

The seeds for Barrett's demise were sown in Gladstone where his captain and co stuck their middle fingers up to the coach without any initial punishment !! Frankly we have been a divided rabble ever since! !

This has been the year from hell for our club and moving forward there needs to be urgent change and badly needed leadership in all areas of the club!!

The single reason for the existence of owners, a CEO, a front office, admin staff, and football staff is .. the football team ...

The sole purpose of that existence is to put that football team on the park each week with every single advantage they can possibly give them ... they have no other function.

In this purpose they are failing both the team and the coach miserably ....

You may change the coach, but unless the others remember why they even exist ... nothing will change long term ...

The single reason for the existence of owners, a CEO, a front office, admin staff, and football staff is .. the football team ...

The sole purpose of that existence is to put that football team on the park each week with every single advantage they can possibly give them ... they have no other function.

In this purpose they are failing both the team and the coach miserably ....

You may change the coach, but unless the others remember why they even exist ... nothing will change long term ...
Wise. So very wise ..... O Punchie one.

1. Penn family as owners
2. Gorman as a CEO
3. Barrett as a coach

I'll start.

1.I'm not sure the Penns have a toxic agenda I think to be honest they just have NFI .Daddy Penn is the one who has made all the cash and given #1 son the toy that is the Sea Eagles to play with and like a lot of spoilt children he looses interest or is incapable of concentrating enough with all the other shiny objects he can play with to focus on the task at hand ie making Manly competitive and the best it can be .Also maybe his personal situation maybe at play as well,i don't know
2.I think Gorman is top shelf and we are going to need him ,and I'm surprised we got him to be honest he clearly likes a challenge ,but I do think he is up to it .
3.I think Barrett is a good assistant and maybe if he had a Neil Henry with him as football director he may have gone better ,I don't know .But he knew what he was getting into when he signed up with us .He has developed some good players i.e Tangles,Kelly AFB ,etc but let himself down badly with persisting with Croker ,Browny and a few other also rans and ofcourse the Jacko debacle (which I still don't know what really has gone on there ). Also the heart to heart he had with Gould in July is all playing out now with him allegedly giving 12 months notice back then to no doubt then move to the Riff and I also think that Gould had 2 choices Barrett or Cleary thinking that he would land one of them,but it all germinated from the Gould-Barrett heart to heart. I like the idea of a Henry- Toovey team and I would still entertain Hasler despite everything .But what ever happens we need a Manly man at the helm as they know the politics of the place and the limitations of the owners,the history of the team and most importantly share the passion for success that is Manly

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8