Josh Aloiai, and membership discussions.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ha! Not far off though

In my current role I have a team of two looking after similar stuff and they manage to produce 15-20 engaging marketing activities per week (with far less)

It is possible and does not take much
With technology these days it's really simple. I used to teach media studies and we had an entire edit suite to use for our bulky cameras. Now, everything we did then can virtually be done on an iphone and in next to no time.
Give a decent camera to a graduate journo, have a goal for their communication every week, explain to the players and coach the importance of fan engagement and how they can help, and there you have plenty of engaging content.
It's so easy.

I've always thought "a day in the life of..." type of thing would be interesting. Pick a different player every few weeks and run through their typical day but can be at different stages e.g. player going through rehab; day before/after game day; game day for a player playing making their nrl debut etc. Can look at their fitness prep, media commitments, community work etc. All the stuff that we don't generally see much of but are all pieces that make up our team. People may have a greater appreciation for our players and the work they put in if they see more than just the 80 minutes on the paddock each week.

Ha! Not far off though

In my current role I have a team of two looking after similar stuff and they manage to produce 15-20 engaging marketing activities per week (with far less)

It is possible and does not take much

I may have found a problem...

..."The Sea Eagles thumped North Queensland in the final round last season to nail down fourth spot on the NRL ladder. On Thursday, not a single person turned up for Hasler’s weekly press conference..."

lol

Also. Chin up Josh if you are indeed going through a tough personal issue family wise at the moment.

Mate I am not trying to be smart but I do not see any big deal with that short souths clip

Exactly!

They are not appealing to a larger audience other than the 12-13k we get every year
Again , I do need believe website video short clips attract big crowds to games , big merchandise sales and big membership numbers , I believe big wins on a consistent basis do

Winning on the field is the ultimate pleasure and attraction for fans
What is more pleasing to you. A BIG Manly win or that silly short souths video clip ?

But I guess we will agree to disagree

Have good day feathered friend

Last edited:
I'm not getting it @BOZO (this is Ryan btw).
If you're not after any information - what's the point of a footy forum? Isn't that what this is all about? Anyways, I think "generally" speaking, most people do want to know about the inner workings / strategies.
Hello Ryan I hope you have been well .

I prefer your original and best version of Ryan than the Merchant of Doom

I am not saying I am not after any information as our clubs provides us all the infromation needed

Ie ; Which players are leaving , Which players are coming , which players are injured , Ground development as they have kept us up to date with the progress with the Incomparable stand ,
What Inner working strategies do you mean ?

Hey, @BOZO I know you don't like to accept mediocrity in performance from the players. Why should we accept mediocrity in performance by our club management? Fan engagement by the club is absolutely abysmal. Worst in the NRL by some stretch. Just as we won't accept poor performance by the players, fans like us shouldn't have to put up with the disrespect and disdain that the club is demonstrating towards us, through poor communication.
I am not sure what you mean by fan engagement is bad feathered friend .

Have you ever been to a Golden Eagles function? The engagement from old and new Manly people
is overwealmingly friendy and proud

Have you ever spoken to our Great Media Man Cuzzo ? You wont find a more passionate and engaging media man at any club .

Everything is out in the open as our club has given Des the Ultimation start winning or start packing

This message is to Mr Penn
When the losing starts when the Whinging starts
Once we start Winning the Whinging stops
We are all accountable for our clubs success and so are you
And the same Ultimation that you have given Des applies to you ...Start Winning or start packing
Because at Manly we do not just want to Exist . At Manly we want to Excel !!!

Last edited:
Have you heard Wayne Cousins speak?

He's completely player / coach focused (hence the cutting short of post match pressers when the questions start getting tough) media manager, and is COMPLETELY out of touch with what the fans want, need or look / hope for.

I find that interesting, because I believe the role of a media manager is to build bridges between the club and fans, creating connection and buy in from paying customers.

The BEST way I could explain our present situation, is the fans are devoid of any idea about the clubs direction or position. We are completely in the dark. We have been given absolutely ZERO hope for the future at present, and given our results, you'd think they'd be all over that. To me, the club as a whole have shown a complete disdain for the members and fans.
Remember the days when the only info we got about the club was an article once or twice a week in the local rag. An article that was more the reporters personal views than any real truth.
Those fans still loved the club. They still went to games. They still supported the side after a loss or series of losses. They didn't care that their 'voice' wasn't being heard....

We all seem to be going down the road of the 'I want it now' generation in demanding more and more information we probably have little right to.

Don't get me wrong I would love a better communication and more info but i guess that just makes me an 'I want it now' twat as well.

Edit...........

#OMG MOD IS RYAN..... no wonder we keep butting heads mate. Nice to have you back. I think......

Mate, understand your passion, but I highlighted a week last year where the Chooks had 36 odd videos, and we had 3 for the week. That's just not true at all.
Yeah but the rooters media department is 4000 strong all getting their lunches personally delivered in paper bags.

Reckon the fan engagement stopped weeks ago. Even on this site, every other year there has been way more banter.

Think most us can't wait for the women's cricket to start, at least that's fun to watch. BTW has anyone else been bored stupid with the One Day with the blokes. Way to serious ego's
Probably stopped around the same time as rianbows were seen all over the area. Funny that.

Remember the days when the only info we got about the club was an article once or twice a week in the local rag. An article that was more the reporters personal views than any real truth.
Those fans still loved the club. They still went to games. They still supported the side after a loss or series of losses. They didn't care that their 'voice' wasn't being heard....
100 % spot on @Eagle of London

As soon as we start winning on the field the Whinging off the field stops
Because Winners have the last laugh .
The Winners have all the Glory
And any one that laughs at a Winner is a fool !

Mate, understand your passion, but I highlighted a week last year where the Chooks had 36 odd videos, and we had 3 for the week. That's just not true at all.
I will ask you this question ?

What good would the roosters 36 odd videos a week would be

If the roosters were getting thrashed every week ?

The fact is that There is nothing more satisfying to fans than a Big win by their team

Once the Winning starts the Whinging stops

Again , I do need believe website video short clips attract big crowds to games , big merchandise sales and big membership numbers , I believe big wins on a consistent basis do

Winning on the field is the ultimate pleasure and attraction for fans
What is more pleasing to you. A BIG Manly win or that silly short souths video clip ?

But I guess we will agree to disagree

Have good day feathered friend
One final question then

Why was there not a material shift in membership after last year?

Haha you two still going at it?

There is absolute truth to what you are both arguing.

Yes success breeds an uptick in memberships, but not in significant numbers and that uptick is volatile (those fair weather members can often opt out if form dips).

A club that offers value in membership along with a sense of community and engagement and markets itself well and in a sustained manner will see sustained growth in member numbers....and area we can greatly improve in.

A big shift.

If winning and results are all that matter why were there not 15,000 members after last year? Instead, it was a return to brookie after 2 plus years and what an increase of 500 members?
My answer is this
Winning and results have an affect over consecutive seasons and not just One Season Wonders

I ask you now

If a club continues to lose and continues to miss the finals
Does it attract more crowds ?
Does it attract more merchandise sales ?
Does it attract more club members ?

My answer is this
Winning and results have an affect over consecutive seasons and not just One Season Wonders

I ask you now

If a club continues to lose and continues to miss the finals
Does it attract more crowds ?
Does it attract more merchandise sales ?
Does it attract more club members ?
We are talking about engaging more people.

Of course results matter however the club, since membership became a thing, have failed to engage members in a material way that increases the membership base.

For what ever reason you can not seem to grasp that there is more to engagement than just "winning games". I would suggest you open up your mind to possibilities that are more than "speed kills" and other memes as you could actually learn something

People love a good deal. Membership need to be at a better price point and include quality merchandise. For instance I’d pay $160 per year for my 3 game membership if it came with a jersey. Our merchandising is pretty ordinary.

I will ask you this question ?

What good would the roosters 36 odd videos a week would be

If the roosters were getting thrashed every week ?

The fact is that There is nothing more satisfying to fans than a Big win by their team

Once the Winning starts the Whinging stops
Honestly , I wouldn't know. The only thing worse than sitting through a Roosters video, would be sitting through an Eels one I would imagine.

And here in lies the issue, how and when is that win coming next? This is a footy forum to discuss that? With no knowledge about strategy, direction, systems it's all guess work. When we are dishing up record losing streaks, those conversations will trend obviously to the negative.

Jumping up and down Peter Griffin style and cheering for sub par performances both on and off the park achieves nothing (and in my opinion is disrespectful to the jersey , history and brand). Show them all some respect and demand something better @BOZO

Secondly, it's not 1990 anymore. That's why Larissa was so amazing. She wanted to change the culture, before heading to greener pastures. People are more informed in 2022. Let's just agree that people have different expectations, obviously.

There's some perspective I guess, as you put it

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8