Jorge Taufua re-signs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Chip and Chase said:
Hard to get excited about wingers to be honest. They're a dime a dozen and you never hear of an NRL side struggling to fill a wing spot. Some are better than others, but generally you shouldn't pay overs for them.

Unless you're a Dog buying an Inu.

Im not convinced on Jorge yet, needs work on reading defensive plays and on his handling skills. To me he is a lesser Manu V

Look, he's a bottom tier winger, that luckily stands outside an elite centre.

Anything more than absolute minimum wage should be considered a luxury. He's putrid under the high ball. He very rarely makes line-breaks. He's not super fast. He doesn't score too many tries. He gets found wanting defensively.

Flip-side. He tries hard. He HAS committed to us. He does make good yardage out of dummy 1/2 at times. He is good on the second tackle option munching metres.

He's not big enough to be a forward. He just needs to get better. Much better.

What a player, those were the days !!

From a guy I had never heard of at the start of the season, to what he has produced for us so far, Taufua has impressed me so far. Happy we kept him on

Kiwi Eagle said:

From a guy I had never heard of at the start of the season, to what he has produced for us so far, Taufua has impressed me so far. Happy we kept him on

He most certainly has attractive qualities (in a non-gay way). But people have likened him to Vatuvai, Williams, Hopoate SNR & others.

He's a LONG way off that. Can he get there? Maybe. But he's most certainly our roughest diamond right now.

BUT, I'm sure it's on league minimum cap wise ($50k odd), so I'm ok.

I not a big fan of the likening tbh. I just like the work ethic of the bloke. 2 things have impressed me about him so far. 1 was after those errors, he didn't go into hiding, he tried to work even harder after them and i like that quality. The 2nd was the part he played in the match winning try in Brisbane, where after the Matai break, he died with the ball and we scored the next play. A lot of players, especially the young ones, could have easily panicked in that situation, thrown a low percentage ball out the back, and we lose the game.

Only little things, but signs I like

Definite weakness under the high ball just won't jump for some reason. However, aside from that he has loads of potential.

Ryan said:

Anything more than absolute minimum wage should be considered a luxury. He's putrid under the high ball. He very rarely makes line-breaks. He's not super fast. He doesn't score too many tries. He gets found wanting defensively.

Flip-side. He tries hard. He HAS committed to us. He does make good yardage out of dummy 1/2 at times. He is good on the second tackle option munching metres.

His played a handful of first grade games.

Deadset you continue to astound me with your views, from Cuthbertson for wing right through to today.

Jorge is a good prospect, as is oldy they are both finding there way and will have a few mistakes in them but have strong futures ahead

Just on a side note in terms of errors

Williams 9 Games 9 Errors 18 Missed Tackles
Whare 10 Games 7 Errors 17 Missed Tackles
Taufua 9 Games 8 Errors 6 Missed Tackles

And for Taufua that includes his shocker against the Dogs where he had 4 errors

Now i admit he has some issues under the high ball but geez give the guy a chance

Ryan said:

Which rep team is he eligible for? He is now a certainty for higher honours after this. Good work.

Tafua will be the last of our signings this year with oldfield, snake, Ballin and Lussick all going elsewhere.

Ryan said:
Dunno about Jorge. Very rocks or diamonds type. Hopefully Wolfman gets fit, and they are our wing combinations.

Don't know what this means for Oldfield, unless Wolf is being released to the UK.

You'd then say our wing pairing would be getting paid peanuts.

Brett Stewart was rocks and diamonds at the start of his career til Killer went down the sideline. Look what he become !! .Im saying be patient, People better than us know more!!

Eaglette Fan said:
DYEagle said:
swoop said:
He's big enough to go into the 2nd row if needed.

Our new T-Rex???

If the reports are correct, Fabian Goodall will be the new TRex in a few years!
No fabio isnt that big except his hair. But he's a real goer

40NIL said:
Ryan said:
Dunno about Jorge. Very rocks or diamonds type. Hopefully Wolfman gets fit, and they are our wing combinations.

Don't know what this means for Oldfield, unless Wolf is being released to the UK.

You'd then say our wing pairing would be getting paid peanuts.

Brett Stewart was rocks and diamonds at the start of his career til Killer went down the sideline. Look what he become !! .Im saying be patient, People better than us know more!!
Your geeing up. The kid was all class.
Anyone who goes from sg ball to first grade in one year is special

T-Rex is a huge loss but something had to give.

We've retain our crucial players in DCE, Foran, Matai and the stewart bros I believe so its also good that the salary cap (with T-Rex leaving) is freed up a bit to tied down other future potential stars, of which Taufua is one in the making I believe.MUST retain Ballin.

We desperately need new injection of forward power though as our ageing forwards Kingey, Kitey and Joe are getting on.

Just astounds me how some on here can dismiss a player after like 9 games, the powers that be must see something in him to not only select him in first grade but also re-sign him for a further two years so that is good enough for me.

I can't forget all the stuff put about T-Rex in his first 20+ games. No heart, never make it, doesn't deserve to have boots, slower than a snail, disinterested (and some justified at the time). No one says that today. When you get to the top grade only the most brilliant make a huge impact then half of them have the second-year syndrome. Jorge has had 9 games! That is nothing.

You would hope that some critics could remember how hard it is for new players and go with potential and be a bit kinder as they find their feet. The best for me is they are in the maroon & white and that alone says I will have respect and patience. If they come from another club on big dollars and a high rep and flop then it is different. Rant over.

Ryan said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

He most certainly has attractive qualities (in a non-gay way). But people have likened him to Vatuvai, Williams, Hopoate SNR & others.

He's a LONG way off that. Can he get there? Maybe. But he's most certainly our roughest diamond right now.

BUT, I'm sure it's on league minimum cap wise ($50k odd), so I'm ok.

Players don't sign multi year deals for the minimum contract.

Remember rd 1 Jorge (Horhay ) was selected as 18th man and we were all saying who, now he is playing 1st grade, well done kid

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6