Johnathan Thurston uncle killed in bashing

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=653380

Deepest Condolences to Johnathan Thurston and his family for their loss.

League player's uncle killed in bashing

19:27 AEST Sat Oct 25 2008

Australia's Rugby League World Cup halfback Johnathan Thurston is mourning the death of his uncle, who has been killed after a brutal gang attack in a park south of Brisbane.

The Kangaroos will wear black armbands during their opening World Cup game against New Zealand on Sunday in tribute to 38-year-old Richard Saunders who died from his injuries early on Saturday after being rushed to Logan Hospital in a serious condition, along with two friends who were also set upon.

Police said a gang of five or six people had attacked the trio, in Ewing Park, Woodridge, about 1am (AEST), and a homicide investigation was now underway.

Australian Rugby League (ARL) officials issued a statement to confirm Thurston still wanted to play in Sunday's clash with the Kiwis at the Sydney Football Stadium.

"The ARL wish to pass on their condolences to Johnathan Thurston's family following news of the tragic death of his uncle, Mr Richard Saunders, in Brisbane last night," it said.

"At this stage, Johnathan has not withdrawn from the team to play New Zealand.

"The VB Kangaroos will wear black armbands as a mark of respect tomorrow night."

The two other men injured in the attack, aged 47 and 53, remain in hospital in a serious condition.

Richard's brother Steven told reporters at the park that the attack was unprovoked.

"My brother was one of the persons that was drinking here. He was hit by a paling and a number of bottles," he said.

Mr Saunders said he was still grieving the death of his mother, and Richard's death was another emotional blow.

Those responsible would be found, he also told Network Ten.

"This community is pretty small ... I will find them.

"I lost my mum two years ago, still trying to grieve over her and now I've got to grieve over him."

It is understood the injured men who remain in hospital are yet to speak to police.

And they reckon Sydney is a dangerous place!!! Comiserations to Thurston and his family. I am no fan of his but that is a very sad situation.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4