John Hopoate v NRL dispute takes another twist as legal battle gets confusing

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
JOHN Hopoate’s battle to coach Manly’s SG Ball side has taken another twist after the former Sea Eagles premiership winner declared he had been given the all clear by the NRL to continue in the role.

Hopoate and the NRL had looked headed to the courts to settle a dispute over whether or not the controversial former winger should be allowed to coach the under 18s side.

On Friday night, Hopoate declared himself “back” with an emphatic Facebook post that completely blindsided the NRL who hit back with a tweet denying it.

“I’m Back, NRL asked if we can withdraw our court proceedings cause they don’t have jurisdiction over SG Ball. So I can coach this week cheeho!!” Hopoate posted.

Following up with the hashtag: “#NoHardFeelingsTimeToMoveOnAndLetThePastBeThePast#”

Foxsports.com.au followed up with Hopoate and he stood by the post, confirming that the NRL had asked him to end the court battle.

86bffbd09b9a857063dfc37cf32bbdac

John Hopoate is up for a fight to coach Manly’s SG Ball team.Source: News Limited
But the NRL quickly denied it had cleared Hopoate to coach, tweeting from its NRL Media account: “The NRL has NOT cleared John Hopoate to coach Manly’s SG Ball side.”

The NRL then sent foxsports.com.au the following statement: “He is not registered to coach. Mr Hopoate has taken the matter to the Supreme Court. The NRL is contesting his case and has not changed its stance at all.”

A legal challenge was mounted by Hopoate when the NRL claimed the former international is not of fit and proper character to mentor young and impressionable men, threatening the Sea Eagles with a breach notice if they didn’t stand Hopoate down.

In his affidavit, Hopoate said: “Out of respect for the club, I have voluntarily stood down from coaching SG Ball as the Manly Sea Eagles have been threatened with a breach notice attracting enormous fines and threatening loss of points to the club.”

Hopoate and his legal team maintain the NRL has no jurisdiction over the SG Ball competition as it is run by the NSWRL, which has approved Hopoate’s application to coach.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...g/news-story/667f4d624f17e24b119bcbf59a07407a

This is getting ridiculous. Hoppa should just go to court and get this over and done with so we can all move on one way or another.

When I read articles like this I always think; 'well this should be easy enough to prove.' As Hoppa tweets I'm back the nrl has stopped...but the nrl says we haven't....well who's right?

If he or his lawyer thought it was done they certainly didn't withdraw their supreme court case, due to be heard on Tuesday as it has been scheduled all week, well find out more then I guess.

Maybe the cost of a Supreme Court hearing has just hit this dumb**** :swear:
Posting on Facebook - did he not anticipate that the NRL legal guys would be monitoring his every move ?

Manly must focus on constructive issues, as Hoppa is an endless problem :wondering:

Rugby league veteran John Hopoate may ‘discontinue’ legal action against NRL
  • Gina Rushton
  • The Australian
  • April 5, 2016 1:13PM

Rugby league veteran John Hopoate is mulling over whether to “discontinue’’ legal action against the sport’s governing body in a bid to save his coaching career, the NSW Supreme Court has heard.

Hopoate lodged papers last month asking for the court to declare the NRL had no jurisdiction over the NSWRL-run SG Ball under-18s competition.

The 42-year-old then stood down as the coach of young Manly Sea Eagles players to spare the club being smacked with a breach notice.

But the NRL’s legal representative Sudarshan Kanagaratnam told a Supreme Court directions hearing Hopoate was considering discontinuing legal action as the parties continued to discuss costs incurred by the NRL in dealing with Hopoate’s summons.

Hopoate said in his affidavit that on 22 December 2015, the NRL sent a reply to the Manly club stating his involvement with the club’s under 18 SG Ball competition was beholden to “NRL rules”.

“Out of respect for the club I have voluntarily stood down from coaching SG Ball as the Manly Sea Eagles have been threatened with a breach notice attracting enormous fines and threatening loss of points to the club,” he said.

The matter has been stood over until April 20.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...l/news-story/8f4713b84962859beaef762882f9c7f0

So Hoppa has finally realized that he would be up for all costs should he lose - took a few months :rolleyes:
I think he would have realised that from the start.

He has a strong case and should go to court. The NRL does not have the legal power to prevent him from coaching in the SG Ball (according to Sydney sports lawyer Darren Kane).

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4