Joey's surprise code switch

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Fluffy

Journey Man

SMH

League's most prodigious playmaker, Andrew Johns, is to represent NSW in cricket.

Johns, who occasionally plays for Newcastle's Merewether club in the lower grades, will represent the Blues in at least two Twenty20 matches next summer.

Johns's selection was approved at a NSW Cricket Board meeting.

Johns will play for NSW against South Australia at Newcastle's No. 1 Sports Ground on Sunday, January 7, and against South Australia at Sydney's Telstra Stadium on Wednesday, January 10.

The move smacks of a publicity stunt, and Cricket NSW chief executive David Gilbert acknowledged as much.

"Having a figure with the immense popularity of Andrew Johns represent his state in these matches will trigger unprecedented interest," he said.

And the mutually beneficial publicity was not lost on Newcastle Knights chief executive Ken Conway either.

"As the game's No. 1 player, his appearances will be of significant promotional value to rugby league," he said.

But NSW captain Simon Katich said he would want Johns to play if NSW qualified for a home final.

Johns said today he would play a few practice matches with Merewether in preparation for his NSW debut.

"[NSW coach] Trevor Bayliss has also invited me to attend a few practice sessions," he said. "Believe me, I’ll need all the help I can get. The prospect of batting against Shaun Tait, who bowls as fast as Brett Lee, and Jason Gillespie in the first match is already giving me nightmares."

Gilbert said today he first discussed the concept with Johns's manager, John Fordham, about two months ago.

"In those discussions, John Fordham pointed out that the great Reg Gasnier represented a NSW XI captained by Richie Benaud in a match against Fiji at the SCG back in 1960 so in many ways a precedent had been established," said Gilbert.

"Also in the line-up were fellow Test players Norm O'Neill, Jim Burke, Keith Miller, Alan Davidson and Neil Harvey."

I'd watch it to see how he goes. Imagine he got 50 or something.

playing lower grades in Newcastle is a bit different to facing Tait and Gillespie :)

But it might be worth a look for ****s and giggles, its only 20/20 after all

Yeah it would be funny

its like those old celebrity games, i still remeber Zoe Goss?? bowling her first ball to Lara (number 1 batsman at the time) and getting him out.

then theres that ****in catch by fatty

he will get killed, the knights will love it when he has a few busted ribs

Pepsi, they'll probably be made to bowl them in the slot to make him look good.

Quite frankly seeing these unco footy players playing top line cricket only degrades the game.

Quite frankly seeing these unco footy players playing top line cricket only degrades the game.
Possibly the first time I agree with you Byso! :lol2:

Should we expect this sort of cross-promotion in the future?
Can't wait to see Punter running around in a trial match for Newcastle :roll:

you joke about Punter but the irony is some of the cricketers could probably adapt to footy easier than you think, while too old now guys like Symonds and Hayden are like 95Kilos and move pretty fast and have great hand eye

Warney played reserve grade AFL and i hear punter can kick a ball, the Waughs played NSW Schoolboys soccer

Kasper played first Grade Union with his Bro in Queensland.

Tell me Justin Langer wouldnt make a great league halfback! tough as any league player!

[quote author=byso]
Possibly the first time I agree with you Byso! :lol2:

Should we expect this sort of cross-promotion in the future?
Can't wait to see Punter running around in a trial match for Newcastle :roll:

[/quote]
This is an untapped market. There must be a few other examples we can think of.

I reckon Jason Gillespie would be an intimidating back rower-only problem is he is made of glass and would snap in half in two seconds flat.

George Rose would make a great goalie for my indoor soccer team. He is such a fat bastard that you wouldn't be able to squeeze anything past him. :dance:

And Geoff Toovey could be the white Gus Logie.......

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4