Joeys Commentating...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
And other than the NSW media thinking the sun shines out of Joey's backside (they voted for him), I will never understand that. How was Johns' career more successful than say.....Norm Provan's? It wasn't. How was it more successful and deserving of Immortal status than Mal Meninga? Again, it wasn't.

Well said. I think he was deserving eventually but he skipped the que. I think NSWRL over compensating themselves as a reaction to his London drugs and subsequent bipolar and mental health revelation. Mal really has proven to be a very worthy immortal as did Provan before him

Probably not, but Tate has been commentating for a very short period of time. Joey has been doing it for years.
How on earth did he get past the audition. He might only have been doing it a short time but I predict he won't get much better. The most boring voice ever.

Yes, yes, yes. BUT.

Is there a worse commentator than Brent Tate?

I don't think so.
If he's as irritating as he was as a player then no.
Talking of irritating I heard Graeme Hughes will be back calling retro round on fox.
Wanker in the 80s, wanker still.

Johns is a dribbler.
I'm waiting until Cooper Cronk retires and joins the media. He is intelligent and articulate.
Channel Nein seem to think that every champion cricketer, and footballer, can become a good commentator. Very few do.
See I find Cronks attempt at portraying intelligence as contrived. He is the cliche king and not a free thinker. He certainly likes to paint himself as some sort of student of the game, but much like his on field efforts he is just a very hard worker who plays the percentages. I think he will be an extremely boring commentator myself. Anyway he will most likely be going for the role of CEO of the NRL, a mere commentary role will be beneath his perception of his abilities. Does anyone remember his website ? It's been lost in the black hole of the internet now, but it was a laugh - Anthony Robbins meets rugby league.

My favorite was Warren Ryan on the radio, one thing I remember he said when referring to the end of Steve Mortimers career , was that ageing footballers aren't the best judges of their own form. I really don't mind any of the tv commentators but incidents like the Inglis shoulder charge or something they miss or get wrong in a video referal I am amazed how they form an incorrect group opinion and crap on for ages when they are all wrong. One Thing Gould always comments on is when one of the teams looks tired and this then means they are about to cop a hiding. A lot of the time this buggered team clicks into gear and wins. I suspect Goulds eyesight is faulty based on some of his comments

My favorite was Warren Ryan on the radio, one thing I remember he said when referring to the end of Steve Mortimers career , was that ageing footballers aren't the best judges of their own form. I really don't mind any of the tv commentators but incidents like the Inglis shoulder charge or something they miss or get wrong in a video referal I am amazed how they form an incorrect group opinion and crap on for ages when they are all wrong. One Thing Gould always comments on is when one of the teams looks tired and this then means they are about to cop a hiding. A lot of the time this buggered team clicks into gear and wins. I suspect Goulds eyesight is faulty based on some of his comments
I used to love it when Ryan would pay out on Trex. He said he was the most useless player of his size he'd seen in 50 years.
And that was when he was playing wing for us.

Yes, Michael Ennis...
young michael ennis.jpg

Oh, sorry, Michael Ennis.....
michael-ennis.jpg

I noticed that too. Definite over compensation when he drools over Inglis every chance he gets. Each time he does that I am reminded of his comment and Tamu quitting origin. He is an embarrassment.
I think having both Johns and Fittler on 9's commentary is one too many goofy co-commentators...actually the whole 9 commentary team is in need of an complete overhaul.

The one who could be a good commentator is Michael Ennis. I can't stand him on the field but off it he is very articulate, knows his stuff and isn't afraid to say a few things, which will only improve as he gets away from playing.
Agree. Surprisingly articulate. Ennis is the most impressive of the current footballers/new media talent. He will have his own show on Fox in a few years. Ive no doubt. But it wouldnt surprise me if 9 try and poach him from Fox for their coverage. He has more potential and is better than any of the current 9 talent (including Johns/Fittler/Finch)

At least I'm sure we can agree that Rex was and remains the greatest league caller in the history of the universe.
I was watching Rex on you tube a while ago and it really stood out how aticulate and easy on the ear he was. I used to play some touch footy with him on a Saturday morning back in the 80s and he was certainly a commanding figure but friendly and open. When you see some players in the flesh you are suprised at how small they are compared to your expectations but Rex was a giant in every way

Agree - Ennis is good. But I am dreading the day that smith, Cronk and Farrah retire - they all no doubt think they have some god given media talents they don't really have. More boring, self flagellating favoritism on its way. There is something particularly off putting about Cronk.
His nose pointing east / west puts me off balance before he opens his mouth.

I noticed that too. Definite over compensation when he drools over Inglis every chance he gets. Each time he does that I am reminded of his comment and Tamu quitting origin. He is an embarrassment.
I think having both Johns and Fittler on 9's commentary is one too many goofy co-commentators...actually the whole 9 commentary team is in need of an complete overhaul.

The problem is that Nein thinks that everyone in NSW loves Johns and hangs on his every word. Freddie can do a good job sometimes, but Johns definitely needs to go. Then there is the fact that Nein want viewers in Bananaland thus we have Lockyer, Lewis, Yvonne "I'm bored when a Qld team isn't playing" Sampson and occasionally Fatty.

The Foxtel commentators (other than Gasnier) crap all over the Nein team.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6