Joey wants Origin finale

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
ANDREW Johns is privately considering making himself available for a shock comeback to State of Origin this year.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Johns is telling friends of a burning desire to return and represent NSW again in what could be his final season in Australia.

Johns was not commenting yesterday but sources indicate he desperately missed playing Origin last year and wants to help NSW avenge the 2006 series loss to Queensland.

But there are some obstacles to leap before a possible Johns comeback - his individual form and that of the Knights.

If Johns' form is strong over the first six weeks of the premiership and Newcastle are winning, then he is a real chance to return.

If his form is down, his body is struggling and the Knights are battling, he would remain in representative retirement.

Johns' Knights contract states he cannot play representative football but, given his standing in Newcastle, he would have little trouble gaining an exemption.

Rated by some as the greatest player of all time, Johns retired from representative football after the 2005 Origin series.

He received an exemption last year to represent Australia in the April Test against New Zealand.

This year will almost certainly be Johns' last in the NRL - although he is contracted until the end of 2008 - before he heads to England for a probable stint with Warrington.

"I think if a player like Andrew is still capable of playing State of Origin, then it would enter his head that he has pulled the pin too early," brother Matthew said.

But Matthew warned: "Andrew could be feeling tired through the middle stages of the season and it will depend whether he has the energy mentally and physically."

One source close to Johns told The Daily Telegraph: "Origin has certainly entered Joey's mind."

NSW coach Graham Murray added: "If Joey does make himself available, I'm sure the selectors would take a real close look at him."

ARL chief executive Geoff Carr said Johns is officially retired from rep football.

"He has retired from rep football and we respect his decision," Carr said.

"We're not in a position to comment (on a comeback) because he has in fact retired."

Knights football manager Steve Crowe confirmed the clause in Johns' contract forbidding him to play rep football.

"We won't consider that (relaxing the clause) until it becomes an issue or an official request," Crowe said.

"It wouldn't be something we would discuss in January, only if and when it becomes an issue."

There are no suggestions that Johns wants to return and play for Australia in the Anzac Test against New Zealand in April.

Johns' manager John Fordham said his client had not committed to Origin this year.

"There's no player more passionate about Origin than Andrew Johns," Fordham said.

"He really missed playing Origin last year and when he was approached to cover injuries on the eve of Origin I he thought about it long and hard before declining the invitation.

"You would, however, have to say the likelihood of him making an Origin comeback in 2007 are extremely remote, especially as he has been formally granted an exemption from representative football as well as having a clause in his Knights contract ruling him out of playing Origin from 2006 onwards."

ANDREW Johns is privately considering making himself available for a shock comeback to State of Origin this year.

Doesnt sound too "private" if a whole raft of people are openly discussing it.

\"It wouldn't be something we would discuss in January, only if and when it becomes an issue.\"

Wonder how long they have been sitting on this one

I suppose he could have been quoted yesterday but it sounds like a slow news day story to me

[quote author=clontaago]

Doesnt sound too "private" if a whole raft of people are openly discussing it.

[/quote]

That was my first thought.

He's a great player but sometimes I wish Johns would just **** off. Oh I might make a comeback so keep my spot open for me but I can't guarantee playing cause I might be tired so don't worry if it ****s with everyones preparation, at least I don't look bad.

Now that its been reported that he ISNT openly considering an Origin comeback, I cant wait for the follow up story in which its questioned if maybe Origin has lost its meaning for some of our great players. :lie:

NB: as discussed - a media event to raise awareness of Newcastle and its community.
Manly should have come back in the Telegraph with:-

"Orford believes Johns is past it, and believes the sky blue 7 is his come hell, or high water !!!"

"Johns has entered rehab for habitual tiretts problems".

NB: as discussed - a media event to raise awareness of Newcastle and its community.
Manly should have come back in the Telegraph with:-

\"Orford believes Johns is past it, and believes the sky blue 7 is his come hell, or high water !!!\"

\"Johns has entered rehab for habitual tiretts problems\".

A comment like that would just put undue pressure on Orford which is something we dont want, we know how he responds to pressure.

You will be happy to see a article on Brett Stewart in the SMH today giving us some publicity, he is apparantly quick enough to run for Australia!!!!

All this was released to take attention away from the fact that off the field the Knights are imploding in the boardroom there are very few professional businessmen and directorships which are more ego driven than being a boardmember in Knights mad Newcastle.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4