Joey Manu

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
And the 6.2 million is way off when you refer back to what the media reported each contract was worth when the Rorters signed/extended the player.

They are a blight on the sport.

There is a Foxsports article today that highlights what many of us on here have been posting for a while. The Roosters 12 highest-paid players take up 6.1 million dollars in their salary cap - leaving just 3.1 million for the remaining 18 in the squad.

Jake Friend, Brett Morris, Josh Morris, Joseph Suuali, and Ben Walker are not part of the top 12.

Fox sports describes it as great financial juggling, claiming the Chooks have mastered the art of contracts in the salary cap era.

It's a disgusting read.
Yes unreal the appraisals that some clubs get, Hooper forgot to mention the unbalanced TPS deals, they need to go or be made even to all clubs..

I am uncertain how true this is but has the rorters 11TH.

Got to admit it's pretty good juggling, no idea really who their top 12 earners are but would be surprising if this lot were on much less than my guess-timates - which add up to well over 7 mil, not 6

1.Tedesco 1m

2.Cordner 0.8m

3.Crichton .8

4.Keary .8

5.JWH .75

6.Taukeaho .65

7.Manu .55

8.Suali .45

9.Radley .45

10.Tupou .35

11. Morris .3

12. Morris .3

13. Friend

14. Walker

15. Collins

16. Liu

17. Tupouniua

Got to admit it's pretty good juggling, no idea really who their top 12 earners are but would be surprising if this lot were on much less than my guess-timates - which add up to well over 7 mil, not 6

1.Tedesco 1m

2.Cordner 0.8m

3.Crichton .8

4.Keary .8

5.JWH .75

6.Taukeaho .65

7.Manu .55

8.Suali .45

9.Radley .45

10.Tupou .35

11. Morris .3

12. Morris .3

13. Friend

14. Walker

15. Collins

16. Liu

17. Tupouniua
Friend, Walker, Suuali, and the Morris boys are supposedly outside the top twelve. The market value (Glen Stewart) rule is never applied to the Roosters.

I struggle with the logistics of how the salary cap is supposed to work:

1. A club negotiates a contract with a player. Said contract value must represent a reasonable market value for the player.

2. The player & his manager must then negotiate any 3rd party deals to top up the agreed contract value in #1 above. The club are not to be involved at all in these negotiations or even introductions.

3. A player signs contract in step 1 for his market value (or more if club are being generous) then magically finds a 3rd party deal that takes their total salary up to ~$1million per annum.

Why is it so many players & their managers are happy to sign at the Roosters for market value contracts & take the risk of potentially not finding a lucrative 3rd party deal to top it up?

Is it because somehow a lucrative 3rd party deal is guaranteed?

Over the years we've heard of players at other clubs complaining of not receiving their 3rd party payments (David Fifita most recently & wasnt that swept under the carpet quick smart) yet never has a Roosters player complained of such a thing.

Friend, Walker, Suuali, and the Morris boys are supposedly outside the top twelve. The market value (Glen Stewart) rule is never applied to the Roosters.
Souths were reportedly going to pay Suali half a million so it would be strange if he chose the Chooks for much less than the figure I suggested.

Why is it so many players & their managers are happy to sign at the Roosters for market value contracts & take the risk of potentially not finding a lucrative 3rd party deal to top it up?

Is it because somehow a lucrative 3rd party deal is guaranteed?
It's an open secret. Commonly referred to as a round of golf. Basically a nod and a wink, you play for us, behave yourself, Uncle Nick is rolling in it and don't worry there are many of his wealthy mates who can't wait to meet you, wink wink.
When Bulldogs got their new sponsor Laundy he said to the press that he wanted to look after the players even after they stop playing! Can't get much more blatant than that.
The classic faux pas was Jimmy Maloney when he was moving to Penrith telling the media he was just waiting for Moylan's TPA to be transferred to him.
Could have heard a pin drop. Never investigated, no expose, total silence, in other words an absolute joke, when you consider how Manly were harshly punished for something that I have still yet to see clearly explained!!

Even the few players Easts have let go (SKD, Pearce etc.) have never said a bad word about the club.

Makes you wonder just how much $$$ these guys get outside of the salary cap.

It really is a joke.

I cannot accept what is said by the clubs until there is total transparency. You might ask yourself why we don't have total transparency now? Probably because the NRL don't have it either. Time for everybody to put their cards on the table. Common PV show us you are fair dinkum!

With the Roosters looking to retain Sam Walker on what will be a huge upgrade given his current form, plus young gun centres Billy Smith and Suaalii waiting in the wings, I wonder if we could make a play for Joey Manu. Give the chooks some cap relief.

He wouldn’t be cheap but would be the perfect fullback fill-in for Turbo and add a real x-factor to our edge.

I’d see him as a direct replacement for D Walker in our top 30. Probably on similar money too.
Would be a good get.. but I'd honestly rather young Billy smith. Kid is gonna be special I reckon

Another overhyped rugby union prospect

would rather a test star who can play multiple positions
At what price? Guess time will tell re: Billy smith

Edit: I also remember saying a while back the same about manu and people scoffed and said Brian Kelly would be better.. lol...

Last edited:

Edit: I also remember saying a while back the same about manu and people scoffed and said Brian Kelly would be better.. lol...
I agree both ways on this in the sense often these young attacking union players are talked up and simply don't fit the model of the rugby league game....I do agree though with SJ that this kid has the qualities to make it and perhaps be something special

Yep, Billy Smith at 250k has way more upside than Manu at 600k. No way the cheats will release Manu anyway - Billy Smith is a good target, not unlike Tuipulotu. The Roosters off-cuts have the potential to become gold

Yep, Billy Smith at 250k has way more upside than Manu at 600k. No way the cheats will release Manu anyway - Billy Smith is a good target, not unlike Tuipulotu. The Roosters off-cuts have the potential to become gold
can't really see billy smith coming to manly unless he gets a guaranteed starting spot for way bigger money. do we want to offer that? the kid has had 2 knee reconstructions and is 21. Why bother? He is a bondi lifer and lived his whol elife playing footy in the east. long shot and much better names out there

we need a mix of youth and experience. I think we're doing pretty well for the youth side of it just need to bring them through. just need 1 key signing like a tapine/capewell that is test level, and i think we can make a title tilt next year if tommy & walker play all year.

can't really see billy smith coming to manly unless he gets a guaranteed starting spot for way bigger money. do we want to offer that? the kid has had 2 knee reconstructions and is 21. Why bother? He is a bondi lifer and lived his whol elife playing footy in the east. long shot and much better names out there

we need a mix of youth and experience. I think we're doing pretty well for the youth side of it just need to bring them through. just need 1 key signing like a tapine/capewell that is test level, and i think we can make a title tilt next year if tommy & walker play all year.
Lives in the east and his whole family supports the dragons. Tapine lived his whole younger life in NZ. Why did Canberra bother? Should he be playing for the warriors then? Maybe we should let him know ;)

Gutherson, Tedesco, even turbo to a lesser extent have both been weighed down by injuries very early in their career. Most coaches would jump at having these players in their squads today.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4