Joel Thompson

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
I've said it before and I will say it again...he NEEDS to be retained for another year at least. I would give him two, but if he is hellbent on a retirement package in England, can we offer him one more year before he heads off?!

He is along side Jake as the most passionate player we have and he is whacking blokes left, right and centre.

He was good last year, but he has upped his game again this year to a point of him being hard to replace both on the field and off. If we can afford to keep him, there is no doubt he should be offered another deal.

I've said it before and I will say it again...he NEEDS to be retained for another year at least. I would give him two, but if he is hellbent on a retirement package in England, can we offer him one more year before he heads off?!

He is along side Jake as the most passionate player we have and he is whacking blokes left, right and centre.

All that is wonderful .... but on $600k you're dreaming .... we have too many good young players and younger performers to upgrade to fit into the cap ... rather than give Thommo a superanuation year ... good player .... but not good enough to lose anybody over ....

Good player and good bloke Thommo but he will get a longer and more lucrative contract with SL . He also turns 32 next season and as Woodsie has said we need his prime money to keep the predators away from our up and coming young guns .

All that is wonderful .... but on $600k you're dreaming .... we have too many good young players and younger performers to upgrade to fit into the cap ... rather than give Thommo a superanuation year ... good player .... but not good enough to lose anybody over ....
We need the best side now, not the team we think might be the best in three years time. The media have created this culture of continually planning for the future because player movements are headlines...so many of these juniors they pump up never make it. The club needs to keep some juniors but experience is very important to winning a premiership. If we improve again next year, a player like Joel who is composed and professional, could be a really important piece of the puzzle. That is better than sending him overseas so a young player can 'maybe' turn into a good one in a couple of years time.

In saying all that, the one to keep that doesn't get much of a mention is Haumole; he could be anything. I think Schuster will end up at the Storm.

I've said all along if we can fit him in for another year we should.

Plenty of fat we can trim first in Hodko, Perrett, Walker possibly then if we can find the right buyer for Elgey and Api

You are as close as ITK as we have......is that an educated opinion?

I really hope he stays
Just a gut feeling. Manly extended Ben Trobjevic first (probably to keep the brothers happy) and given the war chest required for Tom and Jake to stay, I doubt we will be able to compete with the coin being thrown at Schuster. Josh will be in a Top 30 somewhere next season so the coin is going to have be decent to keep him.

I don't think we can afford to lose Joel Thompson's defence, enthusiasm and experience next season. Lets keep him. He is great to watch. He fires up and smashes people like Watmough used to. We need a player like that in our team.

Yeah I agree it will be a balancing act but hopefully we can sort it out, Turbo and Jurbo are already on big money, and whilst they will need and deserve more surely most of that would be covered with the removal of the cap penalty?

Surely Hodko and Perrett then frees up some cash, perhaps move on Api and Elgey if we can find buyers at full freight, then sort Schuster, Cust, Hoppa etc

Also Snake do you know Olakau'atu's contract situation and his standing in the club atm, would you expect to see him get a taste of first sooner rather than later?

This is the difficulty isn't it.

Thommos experience is invaluable now.

But do you have have him for 1 or 2 years.

Schuster may never make it, could be the biggest thing ever, and the club has him for a decade.

Got to keep your best young talent first in my book, easier to buy experience on the cheap, then attract young stars.

Also sorry to be a pest, but same question for Funa, do the club still have hopes for him?

Back from injury now and looked pretty good on Sat I thought?

Also sorry to be a pest, but same question for Funa, do the club still have hopes for him?

I hope so.
He was a class above Canterbury Cup on Saturday.

I really wish we had more opportunities to see that level more often .

If he can stay injury free he might get an opportunity. I think he was overrated a little bit on the forum though. There was that false rumour about the Roosters looking at him during 2017 but it was paper talk after he led the NYC points scoring in the early rounds. He has only just stepped up to NSW Cup having played NYC again last year, so long way to go yet.

We need the best side now, not the team we think might be the best in three years time. The media have created this culture of continually planning for the future because player movements are headlines...so many of these juniors they pump up never make it. The club needs to keep some juniors but experience is very important to winning a premiership. If we improve again next year, a player like Joel who is composed and professional, could be a really important piece of the puzzle. That is better than sending him overseas so a young player can 'maybe' turn into a good one in a couple of years time.

In saying all that, the one to keep that doesn't get much of a mention is Haumole; he could be anything. I think Schuster will end up at the Storm.

I take your point ... but the fact remains in my opinion is that he is not a $600k player .... Sironen goes well enough on a fair bit less ...

... and keeping him ... as nice as your argument sounds ... does not guarantee success next year ...

We will have plenty of International and SOO experience with Turbo, Jake, DCE, Kapow and AFB .. ably supported by Siro, Fainu, and others ... that we don't need an experienced and expensive 2nd rower to hold their hands .....

I would think the difference to our squad of keeping Thomo would be at least 2 of Parker, Walker, Schuster, Funa, Burbo. Simona Croker, Cust et al ... It's a no for mine ....

Joel Thompson seems to control his side of the field. He aims when when the team are worked over on one side and makes the call to hit hard to counterattack in defence.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4