Joe Kelly resigns

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I imagine one reason they went after him is because the Left Footers (along with the Independent schools) are very good at getting money out of governments, both state and federal, for their schools - seemingly at the expense of our government schools. Which in this instance could be a good thing.

Mildly offensive rant over.;)

Last edited:
It also comes down to how they define the role and what he will be / not be directly responsible for

Quite correct , in all probability he will be seen but not heard ( teachers know about this, or at least they used to).

Take care of sponsors.
Attend NRL meetings.
Balance the football dept books ( maybe).
Maintain office staff.
Report on above to the board.

Things he won't be doing.

Talking to fans.
Getting filmed by fans.
Engaging fans on social media.
Joining Silvertails and answering questions.

Have I missed anything????

Lets just cut the innuendo about this being a Zorba driven thing, he does not hold that kind of sway. Perhaps Fulton does however.

Now with that said, if we look at this as a pure business decision and the reality that CEO's never really get sacked unless there is major misconduct, most of them "step down for personal reasons" or to take a break with their family.

I have been through more than my fair share of these change in tenures in my business career and they always have the same story to them.

In reality the writing was on the wall for Joe the moment the Coco Joy thing started to fall apart, as soon as it headed to court, Manly would have been on the lookout for a new CEO, once we lost that court battle and it cost us more money, he would have been asked to step aside at that point.

As for the new guy, I really don't know what to think of that, I can't see it as a wise move to take the leap from School Principal to CEO of a company with a multi-million dollar turn over. I work with primarily Higher Education in my full-time job and there are many in very high up positions I wouldn't see being able to take the leap from education to Corporate and they are guys that are in some of the top 100 universities in the world, so as for a high school principal, well only time will tell, but I imagine the truth has been mentioned here, and he will likely be a in place as a figurehead rather than a mover or shaker. However that realistically is not a bad thing, if you look at most clubs their CEO's spend a lot of time in the background rather than being at the forefront of things and the news, so again like last year lets see how this plays out. I was willing to give Baz this year to start getting things in to shape, and I will give him 2017 however if there is not marked improvement in the performance of the team this year then we have to get rid of him and look elsewhere.

I think dumping the players we dumped last year was a horrible mistake, we should have kept several of them, and going back to market again this year looking for another 14 or so players seems a bit extreme, and does not bode well to building a team, you need to get that core right and get it right the first time, not dump players every year, with that said I am looking forward to the off season and player signings to come, lets see if we are getting that core right!

He got sick of taking orders from Bozo
I believe that. But that the club had to get bozo to do most of the Joke's work says volumes.

Don't know much about this Cleary bloke, probably a great guy, but what's his corporate and or football back ground. The job is CEO of a football club, a club we want to be the biggest, most successful NRL club in the country FFS. So we go and appoint a school head master from across the road.

Anyone else think we need owners who can broaden there horizon?

I know Dylan Walker does some stupid **** and all, but is improving his numeracy and literacy really going to make him or the rest of this franchise play that much better?

I see people are saying that the CEO role will change to fit Bozos demands, but again, the Penns employ someone they personally know, someone who's resume isn't in the ball park for this position, but someone who they think is a good fit.

Bloody hell. So Penns appoint one dud CEO because he lived in the area, and now we go and turn our back on every other CEO with a sporting or corporate governance background in the country.

How long did the former copper last working at the club? a few months and gone.

The Penns appointments to critical positions at this franchise are just absurd.

Lets just cut the innuendo about this being a Zorba driven thing, he does not hold that kind of sway. Perhaps Fulton does however.

Now with that said, if we look at this as a pure business decision and the reality that CEO's never really get sacked unless there is major misconduct, most of them "step down for personal reasons" or to take a break with their family.

I have been through more than my fair share of these change in tenures in my business career and they always have the same story to them.

In reality the writing was on the wall for Joe the moment the Coco Joy thing started to fall apart, as soon as it headed to court, Manly would have been on the lookout for a new CEO, once we lost that court battle and it cost us more money, he would have been asked to step aside at that point.

As for the new guy, I really don't know what to think of that, I can't see it as a wise move to take the leap from School Principal to CEO of a company with a multi-million dollar turn over. I work with primarily Higher Education in my full-time job and there are many in very high up positions I wouldn't see being able to take the leap from education to Corporate and they are guys that are in some of the top 100 universities in the world, so as for a high school principal, well only time will tell, but I imagine the truth has been mentioned here, and he will likely be a in place as a figurehead rather than a mover or shaker. However that realistically is not a bad thing, if you look at most clubs their CEO's spend a lot of time in the background rather than being at the forefront of things and the news, so again like last year lets see how this plays out. I was willing to give Baz this year to start getting things in to shape, and I will give him 2017 however if there is not marked improvement in the performance of the team this year then we have to get rid of him and look elsewhere.

I think dumping the players we dumped last year was a horrible mistake, we should have kept several of them, and going back to market again this year looking for another 14 or so players seems a bit extreme, and does not bode well to building a team, you need to get that core right and get it right the first time, not dump players every year, with that said I am looking forward to the off season and player signings to come, lets see if we are getting that core right!
Kelly has been a dead man walking for sure. This year was very much transitional, so I will expect a much finer tuning on day to day operations, media and maybe a reconnection with the fan base in 2017. We were a rabble this year for many forced and unforced reasons. I expect a turnaround, and possibly a better effort from the coaching staff....am I being too optimistic here?

I believe that. But that the club had to get bozo to do most of the Joke's work says volumes.

Don't know much about this Cleary bloke, probably a great guy, but what's his corporate and or football back ground. The job is CEO of a football club, a club we want to be the biggest, most successful NRL club in the country FFS. So we go and appoint a school head master from across the road.

Anyone else think we need owners who can broaden there horizon.

I know Dylan Walker does some stupid **** and all, but is improving his numeracy and literacy really going to make him or the rest of this club play that much better?

I see people are saying that the CEO role will change to fit Bozos demands, but again, the Penns employ someone they personally know, someone who's resume isn't in the ball park for the position, but someone who they think is a good fit.

Bloody hell. So Penns appoint one dud CEO because he lived in the area, and now we go and turn our back on every other CEO with a sporting or corporate governance background in the country.

Yeah

Anyone else think we need owners who can broaden there horizon?

I know Dylan Walker does some stupid **** and all, but is improving his numeracy and literacy really going to make him or the rest of this franchise play that much better?

I see people are saying that the CEO role will change to fit Bozos demands, but again, the Penns employ someone they personally know, someone who's resume isn't in the ball park for this position, but someone who they think is a good fit.

Yeah, but we are going to look good with an awesome new jersey for next year!!! Happy days!!!

Like Dan said I reckon the Coco Joy debacle was it for Joe. I can't imagine him resigning suddenly and then Manly finding a CEO in such a short time, even though I'm as puzzled as others with them appointing Mr Cleary.
I wish both well. Big news day!

Dan, you've emerged from hibernation???

Dan, you've emerged from hibernation???
EU Tenders man, EU tenders. I have written so much text in the past few weeks, travelled far and presented many wonderful things. I finished all my work on the current tender I am working on have a little bit of down-time (like half of today) before I jump into the next one.

Busy times in Europe!

I though the whole Coco Joy debacle was Zorba's doing (he certainly took the "credit" for it when the deal (or what passed for a deal at the time) was first done. But they needed a scapegoat for the season and if it wasn't going to be Trent (they could try, but they'd probably just get lost in his dreamy eyes and end up giving him a raise), Mr Kelly was always going to be first in line.
Even though I'd prefer we got a different Cleary (or two), the schoolteacher can't do much worse than his predecessor. I'm guessing his main priority will be pushing ahead with getting the State government to take on Brookvale Oval, which is why his contacts with St Augustine's will be very useful. They need it to be "multi-use", so the school comes in handy.

I though the whole Coco Joy debacle was Zorba's doing (he certainly took the "credit" for it when the deal (or what passed for a deal at the time) was first done. But they needed a scapegoat for the season and if it wasn't going to be Trent (they could try, but they'd probably just get lost in his dreamy eyes and end up giving him a raise), Mr Kelly was always going to be first in line.
Even though I'd prefer we got a different Cleary (or two), the schoolteacher can't do much worse than his predecessor. I'm guessing his main priority will be pushing ahead with getting the State government to take on Brookvale Oval, which is why his contacts with St Augustine's will be very useful. They need it to be "multi-use", so the school comes in handy.
Lol a school nobody lol

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6