Jason King

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He just missed out on that kick back towards the post earlier too.
But that pass. WOW!

A very nice touch in that final try.
I would have loved to be at the fence for the victory lap after today's game to say a big thankyou to the big fella.

HappilyManly said:
Lovely to see him have a group photo with the Team and his young Family :heart:

Hopefully Kingy will get the CC Medal on the 5th October :)

I'm an optimist most of the time, as you know, with these things...

That desire for Kingy there is more than a baby-step too far!

:p

End of the day, a well-deserved result at Brookie, for the grand old Kingdog.

He'll remember this arvo the rest of his life, guarenteed.

Was a great day for Kingy.
It was a pity Gifty wasn't there for the crowd to say thanks. Hopefully he can get a medal on GF day??

A nice touch after Tommy scored THAT try, was him giving Kingy a hug and saying "that was for you mate" :D

Former Manly enforcer Jason King raising the bar for NRL players
January 25, 2016 12:00am
Paul Crawley
The Daily Telegraph

FOR 17 years Jason King lived a double life. On the field the former Manly enforcer was respected as one of the toughest players of his generation, who achieved more than his potential ever promised through the sheer size of his heart.

From playing State of Origin to captaining his premiership-winning club in a career that spanned 14 seasons.

But for those who knew him best, his efforts away from footy were always just as inspirational.

In what has to be one of the great lessons for every young NRL player on how best to use their time away from the game, the now 34-year-old is counting down the days to when he finally graduates with his second university degree, this time in law.

“I started at Macquarie University in 1999 and it is going to come to an end on February 4,” King said.

“When I graduated with a business administration degree in 2006 it was one of the best achievements of my life.

“I was the first person in my family to study at university. That was a special day.

“Come this year when I graduate again it is going to be special.

“I achieved more than I could have dreamed of playing rugby league and I was very fortunate to be a professional rugby league player, it was a fantastic experience.

“But to achieve something like this outside of the game is really special, considering the level of commitment it took and the hours and the sacrifices it took to get to this point.”

And the proud father of two said he couldn’t have done it without the support of his wife.

“Jackie has pretty much endured the lot, she is the real star,” King said.

“Jackie has been by my side from the very beginning and has supported me through the roller-coaster ride of professional sport, helping me deal with the highs and lows.

“In addition to that, Jackie has also encouraged and supported my studies which have been quite intense in the past year.

“Whilst I was locked in my study for hours on end, weekend after weekend, Jackie was looking after our two little munchkins as well as running her physiotherapy practice.

“It was an unbelievable effort on her behalf.

“And it will be a big relief for the both of us.”

So often you hear stories relating to how tough it is for professional sportsman to adjust to their post-career lives.

But after taking on a role with the NRL this year as one of the game’s new ambassadors, King said he would encourage more young players to make the most of their time in the game.

“Absolutely. It is great to see a number of professional players pursuing apprenticeships or traineeships or studying or community work,” he said.

“In any occupation an interest outside of your day-to-day job is important and often contributes to success in your job. It is all about balance.

“This is no different for a footballer. It is even more important because you only have a limited amount of time as a professional player.

“Players are coming to the realisation that as well as playing football they have to find the time to find another interest or passion. Whenever I get the opportunity I encourage all the young guys to find their second passion.

“The NRL has been fantastic, they have certainly supported me and there is support there if you ask for it.”

Wasn't he interning at a firm back in like 2014 or something? I also thought the max amount of time you could do it in was like 10 years. ****, wonder how well he remembers the subjects he did last century.

But, still a great achievement and good on him for sticking it out.

This is why i have always admired this guy . The gentle giant off the field , a great husband , a great dad and a great role model for anyone . Anasta , fittler ,johns and all the other clowns on tv big noting and loving the spotlight wouldn't hold a candle to our big unit called jason king.

Wasn't he interning at a firm back in like 2014 or something? I also thought the max amount of time you could do it in was like 10 years. ****, wonder how well he remembers the subjects he did last century.

But, still a great achievement and good on him for sticking it out.
I'm pretty sure it was a double degree Loobs

most approachable footy player I've met, even once on the Gold Coast with some manly players and i was smashed. Always gave you a bit of time.

He was so highly regarded by other players as being one of the toughest they'd faced yet he did get some criticism on this site to the extent his nickname was 'Princess' (as derived as being the son of a King but more like a daughter) and it probably wasn't deserved, but 'stuck' among many fans, probably more so as a term of endearment than derision.

I fondly remember that game against Souths at Central Coast when he just 'lost it' against them in the second half and it lifted the playing group to a memorable win.

He was largely unheralded by fans but greatly respected by other players and that says a lot. he did what he had to do and was rewarded with representative awards and premierships because of it.

I have never met him, but people I know who have say he is one of the most modest, approachable, nicest, and, for an NRL player, one of the most articulate they have met. Manly did well when they had King and Kite in the front row, two genuine leaders of people as is being shown even more now.

I have never met him, but people I know who have say he is one of the most modest, approachable, nicest, and, for an NRL player, one of the most articulate they have met.
I've met him and this is true.

I'm pretty sure it was a double degree Loobs
I thought it said he did business and then started a law degree. Either way good on him - you should never stop learning.

Maybe there's a future in politics.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7