Jason King opens up on war of words with Rabbitohs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
SEA Eagles co-captain Jason King has opened up about his verbal stouch with Souths enforcer Sam Burgess that helped lift his side in their gutsy 14-12 win over the Rabbitohs last Friday

manly-jason-king-shoudler-6281.jpg
It may have been King’s comeback game after 10 months on the sideline after a shoulder reconstruction, but the former State of Origin prop showed no signs of stage fright as he confronted Burgess in what was a big moment.

“It’s all part of the game, it’s all good fun,” King said yesterday.

“I don’t know what I said, I don’t really know what he said.

“It was just a few guys doing their best trying to get a win for their club representing their members and supporters as best we possibly can.”

King said rugby league was a physical contact sport played by men.

“Hopefully that never changes and we are just out there both fighting for the win,” he said.

It was a big assignment for King’s comeback, going head to head with the physical Burgess brothers inspired pack.

“They gave it to us and we tried our best to give it to them and we were lucky enough to come away with the two points on Friday night,” King said

And he is just happy to back in the action once again after so long on the sidelines. .

“It was just great to be back among my teammates and out of the rehab group,” King said.

“To have a long term injury on the back of a long term injury was very frustrating.

“But it’s a team sport, it is not really about me.

“It was important for me not let my frustrations affect the team and I am very proud of the season the boys had last year.”

King said he will be better off for the in Sunday’s game with Parramatta at Brookvale

“I know what I have to work on and improve so I will work on that this week,” he said.

“And be in better mental state than I probably was last week in terms of your nerves and apprehension about your injury and that type of thing playing your first game back from such a long lay-off.

Jon Geddes
Manly Daily

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/sea-eagles-star-jason-king-opens-up-on-war-of-words-with-rabbitohs/story-fngr8iii-1226858224125

SEA Eagles co-captain Jason King has opened up about his verbal stouch with Souths enforcer Sam Burgess that helped lift his side in their gutsy 14-12 win over the Rabbitohs last Friday

Read More

No doubt. If he didnt play i think we would have lost.
He lead our young bulls around the field very well. He's s an old prop who fulfilled his role superbly last week

This will be next on the NRL's list. Telling the boys they can't speak harshly to opponents.

And look when it happened. AT A SCRUM. Who cares about time wasting? It was great viewing!

Keep it up Kingy!

The Eagle Has Landed said:
That was the game changer when King took on the Burgess boys.
All the King knockers here are pretty quiet now.

Still find it amazing how many people said he should have been cut from the club

Kingy is like Snake, heart willing but body unreliable :(

Everyone on here admires them, but ultimately we want a competative Team.

Having brilliant Players break down during a game is counterproductive to Manly's success. That is why we discussed the alternate Players :cool:

Agreed Kingy was a game changer. REally stepped up for the team and go them inspired.

He will be an asset in 2014.

Speaking of Jason King , I was flicking through a copy of "Footy Flavours 75 Recipes From Your Favourite Rugby League Stars " which is on special at QBD bookstores and noticed Jason's choice of Rocky Road . The cover photo is hilarious (Tallis, Slater and Ennis looking decidedly out of place). Ennis' choice should have been a dropped pie (because his head resembles one).

It is king dog from this moment until he retires. This was a defining moment watching this guy take on a whole pack of forwards in his 1st game back. He had no fear even though he looked injured at some point . The guy has my RESPECT. Maybe he has been out of action for so long now we forget what he has to offer the team .

Manly prop Jason King produces a victory from the heart, writes NRL360’s
PAUL KENT THE DAILY TELEGRAPH MARCH 19, 2014 12:00AM

IT seems everybody has offered their opinion on toughness in the NRL now that you can no longer belt someone around the head five or six times or climb from the deck, sway like a sailor on shore leave, and head back into the fray.

But a toughness remains, and was revealed in all its purple glory last weekend. There is still a place in the game for men whose hearts, deep down where you cannot measure, beat a little differently.

It happened Friday in the minutes after Ben Teo and Luke Burgess knocked the dust from the shoulders of Justin Horo, 60 minutes in. The Rabbitohs led 12-6, against a Sea Eagles team outmatched and holding on.

Horo dropped the ball in the collision and the referee whistled the knock on and the packs came together for a scrum. Then Sam Burgess patted Horo on the chest while sticking a few icicles in his ear.

Wearily making his way to the scrum was Jason King, playing his first game since April last year when he walked off during the game against Souths with a shoulder that needed reconstructing.

King knew Burgess was the intimidator in the Souths pack.

More than that, he knew one of the first rules of war is that when you shoot the general, the troops will scatter, and that Burgess is South Sydney’s general.

King walked after Burgess, into the meat of the Souths pack, and players from both sides came to separate them.

Sam happily chatted away.

The Rabbitohs won the scrum and, second tackle, Luke Burgess took it up and walked into a one-man ambush when King hit him with a shot that brought a shriek from Ray Warren in the commentary box.

Two tackles later George Burgess took the ball forward and King put himself opposite him and went with the shoulder again.

Next tackle came Sam.

Burgess was a little wide for King to make first contact, but as the Sea Eagles defenders wrapped him up King got across to help bring him down and Burgess went to the turf smiling, almost to himself, and the moment the ball was played he was back into King.

Manly got a penalty soon after and as they kicked for the line Burgess called on King to run at him.

When King finally took the ball he looked up and spotted Luke and George first and, what else, went straight at them.

It was tough and it was personal. It was enough that you hoped all those people questioning the toughness in the game were able to look a little closer.

Manly found something in those few minutes.

“I believe that won us the game,” Kieran Foran told Nine’s Sunday Footy Show.

“Just watching him go crack one of the Burgess boys, and then calling out the other two, as a player on that team, you just feel like here’s a bloke that says ‘Get behind me, I’m going to lead us forward and I’ll do anything to get the win’.”

Before the set was over Manly scored to level it 12-all, before taking it 14-12.

King said nothing after the game, and even when trotted out yesterday he praised his teammates, describing the Rabbitohs as a “tough challenge for our forward group” before praising the talents of the Burgess brothers.

Hidden away, nobody knows the depth of what King went through Friday night.

He missed the 2011 grand final after tearing his pectoral muscle.

He came back in 2012 and his shoulder went this time, bringing on a season ending shoulder reconstruction, before he did it again last year, missing the 2013 grand final.

He has spent the best part of three years in the rehab group, unable to lift anything heavier than a fork.

And yet Friday night, in a game questioning its own toughness, he took on the Burgess brothers, who are some specimens themselves, with nothing more than what some call the great tick of the heart.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-prop-jason-king-produces-a-victory-from-the-heart-writes-nrl360s-paul-kent/story-fni3fh9n-1226858524454

More of this from Kingy and every forward in the NRL would make the game a zillion times more interesting to watch.

Speeding the game up though is killing this sort of thing as players will have no spare breath to verbal an opponent and with defence going backwards no chance to target a specific player to make a heavy tackle on him.

And if somehow they do the referee will ping them for charging out of the line or for tackling too hard, which happens now nearly every set when a team is coming off their own try line and the defence is trying to jam them in the corner.

Meantime someone in the media will say Kent, King & Burgesses are celebrating brutality and neathanderal behaviour bordering on bullying.

Then the NRL will step in and ban players from sledging opponents during the game, but demanding everyone shakes hands at the end.

Lussick had the right idea but got his aim slightly off. The rules all favour the attacking team and there is no way for a team that gets behind on the momentum to fight their way back into the game unless they force an error in a heavy tackle. But the NRL will keep speeding the game up so much that the defence will never be able to move forward to make a hard heavy tackle or shoulder charge even if it was still in the rules.

The 4-0 semi final must have really got up someone's nose.

manlyfan76 said:
BrissieKid I hate what you say but you are right.

You would think by now that the NRL would know what draws in people to the game live and on tv. It is snarling faces squaring off at 10 paces, not repeat sets of dummy half running. Speeding up the game and killing off scrums won't make league more popular.

The NRL today is just Super League concepts under another name. And we all know the fans weren't duped then and they won't be now. This NRL will it seems have to learn the hard way via falling crowds and tv ratings.

Well people like Greenturd only know what they want to know and what suits their adgendas. Players and fans and not important to "the product'.

@HappilyManly

Thanks for posting the story on Kingy :) A mate told me about it but I've been unable to find it on the Daily Terror's website.

Credit to Kent for a very rare positive story on a Manly player.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8