Jamie Soward believes KFC and the NRL have agreed to send more decisions upstairs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Clay

Bencher
Now let me preface by saying I love a good conspiracy theory and I cannot stand Jamie Soward but I reckon he could be on to something here. Some of the decision they send upstairs when the ref is right there is ridiculous.

NRL 2015: Jamie Soward believes KFC and the NRL have agreed to send more decisions upstairs

Pamela Whaley
FOX SPORTS
August 05, 2015 2:01PM

Truth behind video ref usage

JAMIE Soward has a conspiracy theory for the video referee that he has aptly named ‘chicken time’.

Speaking on Fox Sports’ The Back Page on Tuesday night, Soward said he suspected the use of the video referee was commercially driven, suggesting there is a secret quota that the referees have to meet to satisfy the KFC sponsorship.

“We were playing the Bulldogs and it was just at the end and Bryce Cartwright scored right in front of the ref and he went up to see if he grounded it. I said ‘oh, mate. You were a metre away. You’re just going up to see if it’s chicken time’,” the Panthers star said.

“We just want the referee to make a call. Like, Gavin Badger, although he’s out there and he’s got this horrendous beard at the moment, which no one likes, he just makes a call and you sort of run with it.

“You get some and you don’t get some. They just seem to be going up there for every try and it takes away the emotion of, when you score a great try all your fans go up and then they’ve got to check it.”

Soward quickly clarified that he has no problem with the Colonel’s finest, merely the blatant use of the video referee for simple decisions.

“We haven’t had much chicken lately,” he said, poking fun at Penrith’s four-game losing streak.

“Well, not in the game. I have KFC once week.”

Wouldn't surprise me. It's ludicrous some of the stuff they send upstairs..

Interesting how he mentions Badger and how he referees. Badger was in charge of our game against the Donkeys on Saturday and it was good to see a ref not send every single try to the video ref (even though he probably should have with Horo's put down, but we'll take it ;) )

Funny. Had this exact convo with the blokes at work a few months ago. I brought it up in a convo about how just about every try goes upstairs now. I really wouldn't be surprised if there's something to it. Anything is possible when money is involved.

Lets face it, the game is run by Nein, Rupert, KFC, Politis, Toady Greenslime and big business in that order. Dave Smith is merely there for damage control, accountancy.

The MRC and the judiciary are completely inconsistent and corrupt, making all sorts of 'interesting' decisions around SOO time. Commercial success is the priority, Decisions are made regardless of truth, safety, or previously announced clampdowns. Has it all got away from us ? Its no longer a footy code, its an 'entertainment'. We are not fans ~ we are consumers. The clubs are not sports clubs, they are franchises.

I'm not in a good mood ~ worst Aussie batting performance in Test history.

No doubt there's a quota for KFC ads.Whats interesting is that 1)people are surprised
2)it's taken this long for the majority of people to work this out
The whole game has become a sell out.From commentators flogging off other shows on their network to superimposed ads on the field for TV.Take a look at a Jake Granville try from a few weeks ago and it's a dead give away that they were told to go to video.Granville just dived over from dummy half,going no where near the bloke who played the ball

Its not the dumbest theory. Wouldn't surprise me if there is a hidden requirement to meet.

But surely by now someone would have leaked that, unless they dont tell the refs... in which case the theory is mute.

It's obviously an ad. You are made to stare at a product with anticipation. Kinda smart but eveeel.

No doubt there's a quota for KFC ads.Whats interesting is that 1)people are surprised
2)it's taken this long for the majority of people to work this out
The whole game has become a sell out.From commentators flogging off other shows on their network to superimposed ads on the field for TV.Take a look at a Jake Granville try from a few weeks ago and it's a dead give away that they were told to go to video.Granville just dived over from dummy half,going no where near the bloke who played the ball

Spot on Nordburg.......! No surprise at all to me, I actually thought it was pretty obvious from the time they started doing the KFC video ref crap more and more that there was some sort commercial deal made....!

The NRL have no standards and will sell/rent out whatever they can for a buck........!

I refuse to buy KFC, just because of this, and its all hormones and fries. The game is contrived, the refs have no confidence to make decisions, or at least act that way. You dont have to instruct them to go upstairs, they will anyway cause its easier.
Why do the NRL persist in allowing forward passes ? Touchies could easily be brought into the game and given the power to inform refs. Theres a commercial or entertainment angle im not seeing . . .:wondering:

Badger's beard comments ....funny stuff....Soward and Freddy speak the same language.

How about Soward giving it to Badger about the beard? He is not a good sport and got upset when Beau Ryan had a joke; if you are going to dish it out, you have to be able to take it.

There's potential sponsorship ideas for the other fast food franchises.
Maccas could check McReplays of goal attempts.
Hungry Jacks to zoom in on biting allegations.
Red Rooster for dackings.:giggle:
Subway sideline checks.
Donut King for zero score lines.
Maccas again for the Golden Arches Golden Point.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6