Jamie Lyon & Anthony Watmough sign long term contracts

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Re: Jamie Lyon & Anthony Watmough sign long term contracts

MANLY have struck a double blow by re-signing stars Jamie Lyon and Anthony Watmough, virtually until the end of their careers.

Co-captain Lyon will be nearly 32 when his NRL contract extension concludes at the end of 2013, while Watmough, 27 this year, has signed a four-year deal taking him through until the end of 2014.

The twin signings take two of the biggest names in the NRL off the market with both players' current deals ending at the end of this season.

The Sea Eagles also avoid the possible distraction of player negotiations during the 2010 season, which kicks off for the club against the Wests Tigers on March 15.

NSW State of Origin centre Lyon, who infamously walked from former club Parramatta in 2004, put aside any thought of returning to the English Super League where he played with St Helens.

His re-signing takes much of the immediate pressure off Manly's recruitment with the club needing his experience in the halves following the departure of halfback Matt Orford to English Super League club Bradford.

"My family and I love it here," Lyon told the club's website.

"I'm looking forward to winning at least one or two more premierships at Manly."

The Sea Eagles said Watmough had turned down bigger offers to sign elsewhere.

"I don't want to play against Manly," he said.

"My mates are here, my children were born in the area and we have a team capable of winning again.

"Watching Steve Menzies knock back offers to go elsewhere in the NRL made an impression on me and I want to go down the same path.

"Playing before family and friends means a lot and I enjoy playing the style of football that Manly play."

The Sea Eagles will now turn their attention to re-signing former Kangaroos forward Glenn Stewart, who the club said was "also close to signing a new deal".

Coach Des Hasler said securing Lyon, who was named co-captain for 2010 with prop Jason King, and Watmough was a massive boost for the 2008 premiers.

"They are internationals at the peak of their careers and it is essential that we retain these type of players so we can continue to attract other players to come into our system," Hasler said.

"Their experience is invaluable too for the young players we have coming through."

Manly chief executive Graham Lowe added: "They are two of our most popular players and it is encouraging that they didn't want to go anywhere else.

"In my short time here I have been really impressed with the attitude of both players.

"One is our co captain and one is showing signs of being a future leader.

"Both are among the best players in the world in their respective positions and will ensure Manly remain at or near the top for years to come."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/sea-eagles-nrl-stars-anthony-watmough-and-jamie-lyon-sign-long-term-deals-with-the-club/story-e6frexnr-1225837104385

I don't hold anyone to blame for putting up a rumour and it is no secret that Melbourne were interested in Watmough. It sounded credible at the time, especially as we were looking thin on the halfback front. I would rather the rumour that gave something to talk than discuss John Howard's election to the president of the ICC (I promise that over rates will be better under my presidency!) or read announcements about tissue paper!!!

“Watching Steve Menzies knock back offers to go elsewhere in the NRL made an impression on me and I want to go down the same path.

This is why the value of Beaver can never be put into $'s.

On last years effort Kite wouldn't be such a loss.  I just hope he can get his mojo working again and give us an 08 season this year.

You fools, of course the tissues had to come first - how else would some people handle the excitement of this signing announcement?  Hopefully Kingyfan hasn't bought the entire shop to keep up with the Kingylove  ;D

Seriously though, this is great stuff.  I think i heard it cost Manly 2.7 million for these two.  Next thing we'll hear from other fans is how we managed to stay under the cap... same old same old.  But i'll gladly cop hearing it since it means we have Choc and Lyon.

Foran and Gift next, Perry will have to play out of his skin for a 2 yr deal, or 3 if he's super lucky.  Matai... I think if T Williams performs he'll be a goner.  Also if Farrar steps up another notch then we'll have 3 to 4 centres (Whare and Lyon) so not much room for Matai.  I'd miss him for sure, he makes good strong runs from dummy half that can pick the team up.

In saying all that, i'll just join along for the ride and enjoy it all.  Performance on the field is what i'm looking for

Crusher_Cleal link said:
“Watching Steve Menzies knock back offers to go elsewhere in the NRL made an impression on me and I want to go down the same path.

This is why the value of Beaver can never be put into $'s.

Well there are certain establishments where it is :)

eggson link said:
. . .  Matai... I think if T Williams performs he'll be a goner.  Also if Farrar steps up another notch then we'll have 3 to 4 centres (Whare and Lyon) so not much room for Matai.  I'd miss him for sure, he makes good strong runs from dummy half that can pick the team up . . .
I have no doubt Des is very aware of the value of some intimidation in a team. That is a very strong quality in Matai's play and wouldn't be that easy to replace.

Jatz Crackers link said:
Further evidence that our club excels at retaining those who we want to keep and releasing those others. I believe Manly are better at this than any other NRL club.

no melbourne are slightly superior on form (the only form taht counts is winning the premiership). Plus they seem to be able to have super coach create new talent when needed.

DailyTerrorgraphHater link said:
[quote author=Jatz Crackers link=topic=182538.msg253186#msg253186 date=1267700116]
Further evidence that our club excels at retaining those who we want to keep and releasing those others. I believe Manly are better at this than any other NRL club.

no melbourne are slightly superior on form (the only form taht counts is winning the premiership). Plus they seem to be able to have super coach create new talent when needed.
[/quote]

Ive bolded the relevant bit, so if you read it again you will see I made no mention of the teams form.

DailyTerrorgraphHater link said:
I think Des's record of 'creating new talent' is as good as Bellamy's. Every year he has brought along some supposedly ordinary or fringe players and made them into confident first graders. Last year was the only blip in that players like Newmann and T Rex performed less than hoped, but they were both thrown in when the team was under a lot of pressure. One less superstar in Bellamy's outfit would have made it much harder for his young guys last year as well.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4