Jake Friend...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Punch, as I said very little.

Les Boyd was a thug, but it wasn't institutional, he didn't have elbow throwing experts paid by the club come to training and coach him. And he received the appropriate penalty both by suspension and later in the civil courts.

If having two players holding a defenceless player and bending limbs and necks beyond their intended range of movement isn't designed to cause injury then it is a curious habit.

A third man in around the legs is a legitimate tackling technique, diving at the rigid legs of a held up player is designed to hurt him.

Yes, we disagree.

RiverEagle said:
I'm not as lavish in praise of a player front and centre in a deep and comprehensively corrupt club, clearly gaining great advantage (and grand final appearances) for at least 3 full seasons that were proven.

The single biggest proven case of systematic cheating in the game's history should always accompany his ''contribution'' to the game.
RiverEagle said:
You can be the hardest nut, or team around, like US (or even the Rabbids pack for example) without needing to seek advantage through dishonorable and down-right cheating avenues.

And that applies on and off the field.
Have to agree with you about how important honesty is to the measure of a person. It's kind of fundamental, isn't it?

However in my view it doesn't really come into a rating of on-field performance. Smith is an amazing player.

Besides, the NRL only wanted one single scapegoat (Waldron), so they deliberately opted against scrutinising the issue of Bellamy and player dishonesty. As a result there is widespread suspicion and innuendo, but not much more than that.

There was just enough suspicion and innuendo to strip them of two premierships and three seasons of competition points and possible further advantage.

Unprecedented, before and since.

And Captain Scamtastic was captain of that ship.

I'd bet the suspicion and innuendo reached his and Bellamy's ears a long, long time before the NRL.

RiverEagle said:
There was just enough suspicion and innuendo to strip them of two premierships and three seasons of competition points and possible further advantage.

I'd bet the suspicion and innuendo reached his and Bellamy's ears a long, long time before the NRL.

Nailed it

HoldenV8 said:
Smith will probably be the Qld and Kangaroos hooker for as long as he wants. But the Maroons are well served. Just like they knew they had DCE waiting in the wings, so they also have Jake Friend who wouldn't look out of place as a bench utility in Origin.

I may hate who he plays for but IMO Jake Friend is the one who runs the Chooks out on the field. He (and $BW it must be said) makes Piss and Baloney look better than they really are.

YES YES YES...friend is the guy who runs the attack now and Pearce is just a support act. When the chooks played the dogs, Friend was constantly tackling Kasiano head on, time after time and he does this every week where he's at the top of the tackle count. He's kicking for the line is also improving.

Shoe1 said:
RiverEagle said:

Nailed it

Didn't we play them the week before the whole thing blew up. AS I recall Smith had an uncharacteristically bad game & even missed a shot at goal (or two) that could have won them the match.

I always thought he was somewhat preoccupied that night.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2