It's Semi Official

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
It's Semi Official

Manly wins Lyon race
July 5, 2006

MANLY has won the race for the prize signature of Jamie Lyon, with the former Australia Test centre set to ink a $2 million deal to join the Sea Eagles next season.

In a major coup for the northern peninsula outfit, the Sea Eagles trumped NRL rivals Penrith and Newcastle by securing Lyon for the next four seasons.

The Daily Telegraph understands Lyon's contract will average $500,000 per year and includes a $50,000 third party arrangement with one of Manly's major sponsors.

Manly executive director Paul Cummings was unaware of Lyon's decision when contacted by The Daily Telegraph last night, saying: "We've got nothing back yet, we've made an offer, we're just waiting.

"You probably know more than I do, that's often the way it happens."

Currently starring for St Helens in the English Super League, Lyon was still contracted to Parramatta until July 1 this year despite walking out on the Eels in March 2004.

Parramatta were manoeuvring for Lyon to return to the club earlier this season but the move failed.

Still seething over his departure two years ago, the Eels refused to give the former New South Wales centre permission to negotiate with rival NRL clubs until after June 30.

Manly, Penrith and Newcastle all headed the list of NRL clubs interested in luring Lyon with all three outfits submitting formal offers last Saturday.

Apparently, one of the major reasons Lyon has opted to join the Sea Eagles is due to his close connection with Manly recruitment officer Noel Cleal.

Lyon stayed with the Cleal family in Sydney when he was first recruited to Parramatta from Wee Waa and remains close friends with Cleal's son Kane.

It remains unclear what position Lyon will play when he joins the Sea Eagles with rookie five-eighth Travis Burns also re-signing with the club over the past 48 hours.

The Daily Telegraph

It's Semi Official

i thought Lyon was friends with the older brother Gareth?

either way im waiting for the official announcement

It's Semi Official

what position??

centre we dont need him in 5/8

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4