Is Whare a weakness??

MK Eagle

Bencher
Imo he is the correct choice to replace Wolf.
After losing our 3 first string wingers in recent years we look solid.
The losses of Wolf , Robbo & Hoppa are massive but we have done well.
Taufua stepped up & is still improving to solve 1 wing, though still questions about his ability to diffuse the high ball, is going great.
Now Whare who, since joining Penrith seemed to fade away. After losing Wolf this seemed to be our biggest achilles heel in defending B2B premierships & imo still is.
Whare did play well against the Broncs & suprised me with some of his power running through the ruck gaining some tough yards. This is exactly what we need come finals instead of sideways, dancing runs he produced earlier in his career.
Whares direct running will lay a good platform from kick returns or early scoots giving good field position, momentum & allowing time & space for the halves to create & set up that vital kicking game.
Is whare the best choice for finals footy - Oldfield was the early season choice but Whare seems the more reliable candidate now.

Whare seemed a bit lost when we on attack.

Didn't cut back in a few times when Lyon was trying to get outside Reed.

Doesn't seem to anticipate what Lyon was doing. Time might solve this though.

Agreed, got to be Whare not Oldie. His combinations with Jamie will improve over the next few weeks (I hope!).

stoodamire said:
Whare seemed a bit lost when we on attack.

Didn't cut back in a few times when Lyon was trying to get outside Reed.

Doesn't seem to anticipate what Lyon was doing. Time might solve this though.

Do we have enough time for Whare and Lyon to form a good combination, i think that is the big question. I would not go swapping the wingers around now as it is too late in the season.

Whare has the skills,just needs to choose when to do what. Tends to overplay. The first Penrith game showed how good he is.

Im hoping that winning a Gf in 2012 will focus him for the remaining games.
Just let Killer guide him.

Whare has more strengths than weaknesses . He will make us proud . Have faith in him feathered friends

outside Lyon i would go with Oldfield. Suits Lyons attack much better than Whare and Gift & Lyon gets the defensive position sorted thus not leaving their winger in the wrong position.

We saw it last year, it works as a combo

I think it such a wonderful sign to say Whare is the weakness in our side. He is a very good player and as a fill in for Williams he will do me.

Fluffy said:
outside Lyon i would go with Oldfield. Suits Lyons attack much better than Whare and Gift & Lyon gets the defensive position sorted thus not leaving their winger in the wrong position.

Agree. Whare is an excellent player in his own right and has a big future in the game, but i like the Lyon - Oldfield combo. They just click really well.

Ranking all our wingers in order of 2012 performance then:
after looking closely at all replays, both for defense & attack:
Best to worst
1. Williams
2. Whare
3. Oldfield
4. Taufua
5. Lyon (didn't look comfortable for those minutes)

Wonder how this will play out next year. Ben Farrer until wolfy is fit
?

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Ranking all our wingers in order of 2012 performance then:
after looking closely at all replays, both for defense & attack:
Best to worst
1. Williams
2. Whare
3. Oldfield
4. Taufua
5. Lyon (didn't look comfortable for those minutes)

Wonder how this will play out next year. Ben Farrer until wolfy is fit
?

Seriously, you think Taufua is worse than Whare and Oldfield? Taufua has played exceptionally well for his rookie year. His main weaknesses have been his ability under the high ball and experience.

An interesting article to read about the 2012 rookies (which includes Taufua) is here: http://www.nrl.com/rookie-of-the-year,-by-the-numbers/tabid/10874/newsid/69459/default.aspx. In the article it lists Taufua's stats for the year which are exceptional and compares them to past winners who were outside backs. It states Taufua has "performed on par...with some pretty handy former winners" that include Hayne, Idris and Folau. Taufua has a great future ahead of him.

Nah, he's fine. And it's not like we currently have any suitable replacements for him as this is NOT the time of year to be blooding new players.

i think whare and oldfield are not up to premiership winning. Maybe tooves will have to put T Rex back to his wing where he was very dangerous. Put the extra forwards in the pack.

Fluffy said:

Agree

Whare looks better on the left than the right.

Terry-Randal said:
i think whare and oldfield are not up to premiership winning. Maybe tooves will have to put T Rex back to his wing where he was very dangerous. Put the extra forwards in the pack.
Agree at full strength Whare/Oldy would not be considered unless injury occurs. With the unfortunate Wolf injury its down to 1 of them to step up & take his spot.
T Rex?? Defensively would be a massive liability on the wing & not the safest hands against a Thurston/Cronk quality kicking game. In attack hard to stop outside Lyon (ask Slater) but prefer him on the edges outside Foz.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2