Is this the right way for the Titans to go? Your thoughts.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Holbrook set to be appointed Titans coach
Justin Holbrook has accepted the Gold Coast Titans job, winning the right to replace Garth Brennan as coach at the club.

NRL.com understands Holbrook has agreed to take over the reins at the Titans with the finer details to be sorted out overnight with the St Helens coach. The deal is expected to be announced by the club on Tuesday.

The Titans decided on Holbrook on Monday, opting to go with the former Bulldogs, Dragons and Roosters assistant ahead of Queensland coach Kevin Walters.

Holbrook, who has St Helens sitting atop of the Super League, will join the Titans once his commitments with the Saints come to an end and be up and running by the start of the Titans’ pre-season campaign in November.

Gold Coast have not made an official statement on Holbrook. The club released a statement on Monday afternoon to say the club would not be announcing its decision today.

It is understood the Titans want to offer him an incentive-based deal to protect the club, rather than locking itself into a three-year term.

"This is an important decision in the history of the Titans, and right from the start we have said that the club will take its time and go through the proper process before the club decides upon a candidate, and that decision is shared with our members, fans, sponsors and the media," Titans chairman Dennis Watt said.

"This process will not be rushed. The club has been very thorough in its assessment and due diligence performed on each candidate to ensure the person who best fits the club’s strategic plan is chosen as Titans head coach.

"We will inform all stakeholders when a decision and agreement has been reached."

The Gold Coast has historically suffered a poor fan base and a non-existent culture so I would have thought an experienced and successful NRL coach is the way to go for a franchise that is really on it's last legs. It appears a bunch of money people with no rugby league nouse are once again making the Titans life-threatening decisions. But what do I know?

Last edited:
Doesn't matter what they do IMO - the place is a graveyard for football teams and players.
As far as the incentive deal goes - I can't see it making anyone at the top level work any harder, but it would probably make them more conservative.

I think Walters deserves a chance.
Be hard not being able to mention his next opponents though...

Doesn't matter what they do IMO - the place is a graveyard for football teams and players.
As far as the incentive deal goes - I can't see it making anyone at the top level work any harder, but it would probably make them more conservative.
Agree on the ïncentive deal" idea. No coach worth anything would bury himself with one for a club in the Titans position.

I haven't seen any super league the past couple of years but Holbrook's stats are impressive:
http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/coaches/justin-holbrook/summary.html
Walters is still fairly untested in a permanent gig but his time at Catalans was very poor,
http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/teams/catalans-dragons/coaches.html
and he aint going to have the same stars he does with QLD.
Agree, and Walters would not be in my want list if I was choosing their next coach either.

Screw the titans relocate them to Perth and start a new team.. the Perth lions? Or the Perth Hippopotamus'
Hippos are the most dangerous animals in Africa... there no joke! Dave Taylor could be there mascot ;)

I think Holbrook is definitely a good option for them. His super league coaching record is looking much better than Trent Robinson’s before Trent was picked up by the Roosters.

Out of current NRL coaches, Bellamy and Hasler are the only two who I think would be successful with them. Some people already reckon that Bellamy is an outside chance of going to them at the end of his current contract if he desires a move back to QLD.

Holbrook would work if he brought in a bunch of UK players.

Its the relaxed attitude of the Team that is the problem and not the half a dozen coaches they've had :cool:

If Mal had any balls, he would demand the gig and fix them himself, being the supercoach he is.

Unfortunately he lost all his balls about 1995 or so.
About the time he found out he had a kid from a 1 night stand on tour in England or was it his brief political career?

Screw the titans relocate them to Perth and start a new team.. the Perth lions? Or the Perth Hippopotamus'
Hippos are the most dangerous animals in Africa... there no joke! Dave Taylor could be there mascot ;)
I always liked the Perth Pirates. Build a big pirate ship at one end of the ground like the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have and every time the pirates score they shoot off the cannons! Arrrrrrgghhhhhhhh........

It’s a tough gig. I expect the Titans are hoping pommy players will follow and are hoping they have the success that Canberra is having. It’s a gamble.

Holbrook set to be appointed Titans coach
Justin Holbrook has accepted the Gold Coast Titans job, winning the right to replace Garth Brennan as coach at the club.

NRL.com understands Holbrook has agreed to take over the reins at the Titans with the finer details to be sorted out overnight with the St Helens coach. The deal is expected to be announced by the club on Tuesday.

The Titans decided on Holbrook on Monday, opting to go with the former Bulldogs, Dragons and Roosters assistant ahead of Queensland coach Kevin Walters.

Holbrook, who has St Helens sitting atop of the Super League, will join the Titans once his commitments with the Saints come to an end and be up and running by the start of the Titans’ pre-season campaign in November.

Gold Coast have not made an official statement on Holbrook. The club released a statement on Monday afternoon to say the club would not be announcing its decision today.

It is understood the Titans want to offer him an incentive-based deal to protect the club, rather than locking itself into a three-year term.

"This is an important decision in the history of the Titans, and right from the start we have said that the club will take its time and go through the proper process before the club decides upon a candidate, and that decision is shared with our members, fans, sponsors and the media," Titans chairman Dennis Watt said.

"This process will not be rushed. The club has been very thorough in its assessment and due diligence performed on each candidate to ensure the person who best fits the club’s strategic plan is chosen as Titans head coach.

"We will inform all stakeholders when a decision and agreement has been reached."

The Gold Coast has historically suffered a poor fan base and a non-existent culture so I would have thought an experienced and successful NRL coach is the way to go for a franchise that is really on it's last legs. It appears a bunch of money people with no rugby league nouse are once again making the Titans life-threatening decisions. But what do I know?

Poor bugger ...... Apart from the benefits of living on the Goldie what a **** house job he's just signed on for. Getting whacked in the nuts would have to be more fun.

It’s all very well to say they need an experienced NRL coach but the ones available haven’t exactly got cracking resumes and the big guys are under lock and key.

Holbrook has a great record, is a calm character , has done a proper apprenticeship, is great mates with Robinson so no doubt would be picking his brains and would be in the best position to assess pommie talent if they go down that road. Canberra has shown informed UK recruitment works.

The salary cap in England is about a third of the NRL cap and has stagnated while ours has rocketed. You will see a lot more pommies heading our way if good enough.
It’s a tough situation but I think they’ve made the right choice.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8