Is the World Club Challenge a Joke??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
For many years in a row Aussie sides have gone over to the UK to play in the competition, to have their backsides smacked and some Pommy team claiming to be World Champions.

This is despite Aussie players going over to the 'Old Dart' for easy dollars, saying that the toughness and standard of the comp is nothing like the NRL. Sure there are good players but to say that teams in the Superleague are better than the NRL is generally considered a joke. Sure the clubs have big dollars and no salary cap and the exchange rate is very favourable to people getting English Pounds. (Why do you think Morely is the only Pom of note to play in the NRL for years. Lennon, who plays for Wales has held up a spot in PL but nothing better!) Average players can be stars over there without the wear and tear of the toughness of Aussie League - though they do have to put up with living in the UK, though not now in the horrible dreary winter.

What does the World Club Challenge prove when a team is in the midst of pre-season training? Does it help a team? Is it financially lucrative.

If we must have it, why isn't it held every second year in Australia where the Premiers could at least get a big gate.

I had similar thoughts myself. When you look through the ex NRL players in the Bradford lineup not one of them (Bai being a possible exception) ever were stars in the NRL, in fact most of them struggled to get a regular 1st grade spot.

From the Bradford team that played today the only player I would be keen for Manly to sign would be Fielden.

The tiogers seemed to have changed the way they played from last year and now appear to want to use their new forward muscle that they have purchased instead of spreading the ball around more.

IMO this will be a big mistake and there is only one way for them to go this year and that is backwards.

It also shows that they will win jack unless marshall plays.

in relation to their style of play - they lost benji and had a stand in 5/8 so were basically reliant on their half back only. The strategy used was similar to manlys 2005 campain

Manly to win next years World Club Challenge , 5 months after destroying Parramatta in the NRL grand final !!!.

It's their pre-season too.

Whilst it is their pre-season, they start their compitition next weekend, whereas the NRL is almost a month away. I would think both teams are at vastly differing levels of their preparations.

[quote author=Matabele]
It's their pre-season too.

Whilst it is their pre-season, they start their compitition next weekend, whereas the NRL is almost a month away. I would think both teams are at vastly differing levels of their preparations.
[/quote]

Agreed.

The English club has a lot in their favour, playing at home on a freezing surface whilst the Aussies have just come out of a boiling hot summer. Apparently in the NFL in the USA it is a well-known phenomenon that the "warm weather teams" have greater struglles adapting to the cold grounds than the cold weather teams have when they travel south.

Part of the reason behind the success of franchises like Green Bay, Buffalo and New England. Whereas Miami, San Diego, New Orleans etc have not had a lot of recent success.

Tampa Bay is the exception to the rule.

Good to see Sam Harris spilling the ball on the first hit up.

No Benji the Tigers look ordinary - they would want to hope he comes back from his shoulder injury otherwise it could be long year for them

I had similar thoughts myself. When you look through the ex NRL players in the Bradford lineup not one of them (Bai being a possible exception) ever were stars in the NRL, in fact most of them struggled to get a regular 1st grade spot.

From the Bradford team that played today the only player I would be keen for Manly to sign would be Fielden.

They also were looking at Ben Harris a couple of years ago who did play consistant first grade and is the wearer of an NRL premiership ring.

Agreed.

The English club has a lot in their favour, playing at home on a freezing surface whilst the Aussies have just come out of a boiling hot summer. Apparently in the NFL in the USA it is a well-known phenomenon that the \"warm weather teams\" have greater struglles adapting to the cold grounds than the cold weather teams have when they travel south.

Don't forget about the fact the poms have a home ground advantage, a home referee, had already played a few full strength games and the tigers were basically playing footy at 7 o'clock in the morning.

The Tigers had to play an up the middle game because they were missing Benji. They will struggle without him.

Therefore, i would like to see the poms come over here every second year. The world club challenge makes us look pretty ordinary and those second rate poms think they are awesome.

I'd like to see them come over here and play in our summer.

Brian Nobles comments in the paper today will obviously be noted by every NRL coach this year when playing the Tigers.

"Bulls coach Brian Noble, meanwhile, revealed he showed his side videos of five Wests Tigers games from the end of last season in a bid to highlight their vulnerability if dominated in the ruck.

And he raised concerns expressed by North Queensland coach Graham Murray before last year's grand final – that Wests Tigers players surrender in tackles more than other teams.

"We knew they were quick and they were fast and they were agile – and quick in finding the floor," Noble said.

"We were belting people and once you do that, you get to enjoy that part of the game."

The message is dominate the ruck against the tigers and you will beat them. With King sure to fire this year he will smash them in the ruck area when we play them.

And once King has softended them up we will bring on Bryant, Sione alphabet and lulu to really smash them.

Maybe if we had Feilden instead of King then we might have a chance. Noble obviously forgot to mention that they targetted Harris as well and did a good job as he had a shocker.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2