Is the Manly pack much improved 2023 ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
More over I think the fact we played the Red Hot panthers followed by a much better Roosters skew the above numbers too much to make a call.

I believe the forwards are going better especially in the hard defence and smacking opponents.

Time will tell.
100%, Love how we're hunting down opposition fwds with a pack mentality, completely different mindset from our forwards this season.

We are definitely an intimidating pack when our defence is set. We need to tie the football up and stop the off loads.
This is exactly what gave the Eels a sniff to fight back.....a few offloads and ab lib style plays created havoc as it broke down the defensive line and we were not set, leading to a couple of poor 1 on 1 tackles that led directly to tries.

To be fair, it was a stinking hot night when we played the Eels.

Our team has only had 1 game of "match" fitness.
That part is true....I feel if the determination and energy levels can be maintained, once fully fit we finally have a team that can be strong defensively.
As stated that Souths right edge is a deadly attacking unit, so if Tuipulotu decides to rush in constantly will get murdered out wide....controlling the play ball speed in the middle, will also help this issue big time.

That part is true....I feel if the determination and energy levels can be maintained, once fully fit we finally have a team that can be strong defensively.
As stated that Souths right edge is a deadly attacking unit, so if Tuipulotu decides to rush in constantly will get murdered out wide....controlling the play ball speed in the middle, will also help this issue big time.

In exactly the same way, Turbo, guaca, shuster et al will crucify their right side defence .

I be quite surprised if Brad Parker not defending down that edge on Saturday

In exactly the same way, Turbo, guaca, shuster et al will crucify their right side defence .
No doubt and I think you forgot Guoc on the right side
but here's the thing
Just don't want a shootout every week to get the Win

No doubt and I think you forgot Guoc on the right side
but here's the thing
Just don't want a shootout every week to get the Win

Get used to it maxta ... there is not a right side defence on the planet that can defend against the countless rehearsed attacking plays ... if a team only concedes 2 a game .. that is a victory ..

Every single raid ... the winger is left isolated , with a decision , rush in, or stay wide ... the attack knows this and has several variations of the same play .. often doesn't matter what decision the winger makes .. the attack simply adjust .

It's a numbers game .. the **** teams will score 1 in 10 ... the good left sides like Souff's and manly score more like 1 in 3 ...

Last edited:
I feel that, overall the pack is going better, however we are still losing it from the bench.

Big lead v. Eels until the bench starts to rotate and suddenly we are only 4 in front at the half.

We did not buy capable 15s through 17 and are left with last year's "same 'ole, same 'ole). Too late now; all we can do is develop our young crop and push them into NRL.

With due respect to Flegg they should do an extended stint in NSW Cup (not one or two games here and there) to gel into an SAS reserve attack team to cover those melting moments in the first half.

Get used to it maxta ... there is not a right side defence on the planet that can defend against the countless rehearsed attaching plays ... if a team only concedes 2 a game .. that is a victory ..

Every single raid ... the winger is left isolated , with a decision , rush in, or stay wide ... the attack knows this and has several variations of the same play .. often doesn't matter what decision the winger makes .. the attack simply adjust .

It's a numbers game .. the **** teams will score 1 in 10 ... the good left sides like Souff's and manly score more like 1 in 3 ...
Unfortunately - probably about right there Woodsie....do agree it's impossable to simply turn that tap off, as opportunities will no doubt open up there at stages.
In truth - Iv'e always been of the belief the best way to minimise this issue, is to really dominate and control the speed in the middle as to take time away from these classy Latrell, Walker types who if given to much time, will execute far higher....this is probably a more realistic expectation
Many simply "blame" the outside men too often, whereas much of the damage is in fact - The middle and ruck area and simply - Perfectly executed plays from quality attack....:wait:

What happened to the old saying “Mark your man!” Players need to hold there nerve and position in the defensive line.

What happened to the old saying “Mark your man!” Players need to hold there nerve and position in the defensive line.
The theory is no doubt still there....thing is, with the modern day game and frantic speed...there are simply moments where attacking numbers will come at you 100 mph out wide with an overlap which actually started (inside) and the decision from my chair, while holding my 12th bourbon is easier to make than the players who are in that defensive line....but I still try shout some advice which may upset a few neighbours....:hi:

Unfortunately - probably about right there Woodsie....do agree it's impossable to simply turn that tap off, as opportunities will no doubt open up there at stages.
In truth - Iv'e always been of the belief the best way to minimise this issue, is to really dominate and control the speed in the middle as to take time away from these classy Latrell, Walker types who if given to much time, will execute far higher....this is probably a more realistic expectation
Many simply "blame" the outside men too often, whereas much of the damage is in fact - The middle and ruck area and simply - Perfectly executed plays from quality attack....:wait:
💯 9/10 times when a winger is made to look like he can't defend you can trace it back to losing control in the middle. When good NRL sides get 2/3 quick PTBs the winger is inevitably gonna be made to look silly.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2