Is the Manly of 2005 the Greece of 2004?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I realise in writing this that most probably the majority of readers will be oblivious to the fact that there was a competition in 2004 called the ‘Euro Cup’. It involved an assembly of the Europe’s best soccer players representing their National teams who had qualified for this competition through a series of qualifiers. Somewhat similar to this NRL competition.

Instead of 8 finalists there were 16 and one of these was a lowly rated team from Greece. The odds they were given to win the coveted title were 150-1 not unlike the odds given to Manly to win this years premiership. I for one thought they would struggle to score a goal in the competition let alone win a game, an opinion voiced by many “so called” experts in the game. Sounding like a familiar scenario?

The only thing was that the players themselves did not believe the media reports or the commentators’ negative perception of their chances of success. The Greeks were no more than a team of “second rate” players in comparison to the might of the English, French, Spanish to name a few. Teams that boasted highly paid players with great international experience. The similarities I believe continue when you consider those teams in the top 8 infested with Origin and International players.

For those of you who don’t know, the Greeks won and the team of mere mortals were transformed to soccer legends and gods. They played above their ability, committed themselves to defence and destroyed the hopes of teams that were favourites to win each and every game against them on their way to success.

Now all we have to do is hope that the Sea Eagles take a similar approach to their chances of winning the competition as the Greeks. Simply being outside chance doesn't mean you can't win the competition. Rugby like soccer is a game and anyone can win on the day. All they have to do is want it more than the other side and give 100% on the day. I am sure that no one would ask for more.

I honestly believe that the barrage of negativity from sporting commentators regarding the non-event of the Sea Eagles being in the finals and that they are "no chance" should instil some fire in their bellies and make them want to show everyone how wrong they are. Quite simply we must all beleive in our chances of success and never give up hope.

Let's get behind the boys and hope that they too get behind each other. Victory in each game from here on end is only a stepping stone toward ultimate NRL Supremacy.

GO THE MIGHTY EAGLES :yeah:

We can only hope they are. I think we can beat Parra. THe only team I am really concerned about that I dont know if we can beat them is Dragons. They really worry me, but if we avoid meeting them we might sneak a fair way into the finals

They said the same thing about Greece beating the host nation Portugal in the final. Odds were well against them and all it took was determination to win.

There is always hope! Greece were the host nation so maybe we need all the finals to be held at Brookie.

Actually Portugal were the host nation and Greece beat them twice. Once in the qualifiers and in the Final.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4