Is Orford re-signed?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Kiwi, your support for the little man is commendable, though laughable.  We need to move on now, offload him and build.  That's what's needed, not more of the same.   

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Good wins off the top of my head this season

Bulldogs, Titans, Canberra, Roosters, Newcastle, Tigers, Parramatta

It is not rocket science that when a halfback isn't supported, he doesn't go very well. Aside from the true greats such as Johns, Sterling etc, all halfbacks need other players to produce a good game. Thurston is the current best and not even in the finals this year

Perhaps the other reason I am on the 'Lover' side, is because week in week out I watch a game, not going in with the hate, and seeing the good and bad in each performance, not just simply the bad because that is all I am looking for

I can see all the players deficiencies in the side, every single player there from 1-17 has them.

If Orford does go, and we rely solely on Cherry Evans and Hodkinson from hereon in, You will see even more deficiencies on display as they develop their games, and before long they will be copping the same sort of treatment from the regulars

Bulldogs - granted

Titans - Disinterested

Canberra - where did they finish again?

Roosters - wooden spooners

Newcastle - the week after the smith episode broke (enough said)

Tigers - Gould himself said that the Tigers were a rabble

Parra - didn't they lose most of their bench that day?

Out of all the halfbacks I think Orford has the worst kicking game by a long way.

Jethro link said:
[quote author=Mal Cochrane link=topic=181683.msg241138#msg241138 date=1252712100]

The only players who can prolly hold there head up are the backrowers.

Hey Mal, the correct spelling for the word is "probably".  It's not that hard to spell it correctly is it?
[/quote]

lol...geeez...you actually took time to reply with that? Atleast you understood it mate! It's a forum...not a business document. ;) I know we have a spelling guru on here...not sure if it's you and if your just having a light dig.

Moops link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=181683.msg241188#msg241188 date=1252720853]
Good wins off the top of my head this season

Bulldogs, Titans, Canberra, Roosters, Newcastle, Tigers, Parramatta

It is not rocket science that when a halfback isn't supported, he doesn't go very well. Aside from the true greats such as Johns, Sterling etc, all halfbacks need other players to produce a good game. Thurston is the current best and not even in the finals this year

Perhaps the other reason I am on the 'Lover' side, is because week in week out I watch a game, not going in with the hate, and seeing the good and bad in each performance, not just simply the bad because that is all I am looking for

I can see all the players deficiencies in the side, every single player there from 1-17 has them.

If Orford does go, and we rely solely on Cherry Evans and Hodkinson from hereon in, You will see even more deficiencies on display as they develop their games, and before long they will be copping the same sort of treatment from the regulars

Bulldogs - granted

Titans - Disinterested

Canberra - where did they finish again?

Roosters - wooden spooners

Newcastle - the week after the smith episode broke (enough said)

Tigers - Gould himself said that the Tigers were a rabble

Parra - didn't they lose most of their bench that day?
[/quote]

We could go through and make similar excuses for the games we lost, but that would be pointless. We could also write similar things down for the majority of the games we won in 2008

Regardless of the circumstances on the day, they were good wins

Rex link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=181683.msg241182#msg241182 date=1252720269]
I'm over discussing Ox.   

No you're not.
[/quote]

haha :)

Yep, DSM5 has put 4500 posts and at least 2000 of them have been a direct criticism of Ox. If he never does another post on him I think we all FULLY understand the DSM5 position. If he never does another post on Ox I could be grateful because the daily blunt head trauma just plain hurts.

So does anyone think there is another team that wants to sign him? The tax loopholes that made the UK so attractive have been closed and I can't imagine another NRL club wanting to sign him, so it's probably us and some second division Bulgarian RL team vying for his signature.

I'm really disappointed with Orford's performances this year. I'm actually starting to see some really big flaws in his game. To that end , we have Hodgkinson, Foran, Lyon, Cherry-Evans who have all performed extremely well.

It pains me to say this, but I think it's almost time for him to move on. Forget Monaghan. Use the young guys. That then makes room for Farrar in the backline as well.

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Matai
04. Ben Farrar
05. David Williams
06. Jamie Lyon
07. Keiran Foran
08. Josh Perry
09. Matt Ballin
10. Jason King
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Shane Rodney
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Chris Bailey
15. Brent Kite
16. George Rose
17. Joe Gulovou

You could almost dump Kite and Williams, and go on the full re-build with:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Matai
04. Jamie Lyon
05. Ben Farrar
06. Keiran Foran
07. Trent Hodgkinson
08. Josh Perry
09. Matt Ballin
10. Jason King
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Shane Rodney
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Chris Bailey
15. Matt Cross
16. George Rose
17. Joe Gulovou

Very cheap and cost effective side. Use all the surplus cash from Kite, Ox and Williams to sign Sam Burgess if need be.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
 It is perhaps here that you shoot yourself in the foot, as it depicts you as one with a vacillating opinion reliant on the weekly form of a player?  Whereas others would contend they're taking a more holistic view.

I've largely kept my nose out of the Orford debate this year except to register occasional concern at the wisdom of offering an older player a 3 year contract.  Largely because he does deserve a level of respect for leading us to a record premiership last year.

I'm coming out with my thoughts now because Orford, in my opinion, has been on the slide this year - in other words last year may have been his high point.  I can't see him improving from here, and most of this year he has been dreadful.  Hence the sentiment in the very start of this thread - we can't afford to lose a future star at the expense of keeping someone so clearly on the slide.  

Matabele link said:

I'm coming out with my thoughts now because Orford, in my opinion, has been on the slide this year - in other words last year may have been his high point.  I can't see him improving from here, and most of this year he has been dreadful.  Hence the sentiment in the very start of this thread - we can't afford to lose a future star at the expense of keeping someone so clearly on the slide.  
[/quote]

Very well said sir!

Mal Cochrane link said:
[quote author=Jethro link=topic=181683.msg241154#msg241154 date=1252714967]

[quote author=Mal Cochrane link=topic=181683.msg241138#msg241138 date=1252712100]

The only players who can prolly hold there head up are the backrowers.

Hey Mal, the correct spelling for the word is "probably".  It's not that hard to spell it correctly is it?
[/quote]

lol...geeez...you actually took time to reply with that? Atleast you understood it mate! It's a forum...not a business document. ;) I know we have a spelling guru on here...not sure if it's you and if your just having a light dig.
[/quote]

It is probably a bit of both (a light-hearted dig and a proper dig.  I do occasionally correct spelling of some posts but not all (just mainly the ones where I'm not really sure that the person is aware of the correct spelling. Just ask DSM5 about his prior use of the words "of" and "off").  I could correct a few spelling mistakes that are in your reply post to me but I won't. ;D

The spelling guru here is Fro I think.

You're a spelling guru Jethro, unlike that fly Fro.  Thanks for the updates in Qld.  Great to have a win.  I hope LeSnack gets in Hasler's ear re the half situation up there.

Is Orford on contract for next season, strikes me as strange that he would allow it to go this far without being signed for 2010. I think the contract is for 2011 but  wouldnt be sure and i am often wrong.

That Said

I agree with both Kiwi and DS, My thoughts are that we are not in a position to let him go yet. If he is on contract for 2010 thats great because it gives us time to blood Foran.

I think if we chuck the baby out with the bathwater we will have a good few years of struggle with untested halves and that is not a good idea. We arent sure that even Foran will not get second year syndrome, although i think he has shown enough to say that he would come out the other side.

The other side of the debate is that we have the problem of Foran not being signed yet and that bothers me. One thing is for sure we cannot let Foran go, If we were to keep Ox and let Foran go that would be tragic and it would be on a par with when we let Ox go to Melbourne to sign Kimmorley and Melbourne got the best of Ox and we got the worst of Kimmorley.

This is a tough situation but i wont bag Orford for not doing his best but unfortunately and i hate to say this about him as he is a great person and has given his all for Manly but i dont think his best is good enough for us anymore. That is not saying he is rubbish but it is saying that he isnt producing anything specal for us and unless he is willing to take a very substantial pay cut it would be criminal to keep him and lose Foran because we didnt have enough money.

Best outcome is Ox for another season with the transition to the Foran era.

Matabele link said:

It is perhaps here that you shoot yourself in the foot, as it depicts you as one with a vacillating opinion reliant on the weekly form of a player?  Whereas others would contend they're taking a more holistic view.

I've largely kept my nose out of the Orford debate this year except to register occasional concern at the wisdom of offering an older player a 3 year contract.  Largely because he does deserve a level of respect for leading us to a record premiership last year.

I'm coming out with my thoughts now because Orford, in my opinion, has been on the slide this year - in other words last year may have been his high point.  I can't see him improving from here, and most of this year he has been dreadful.  Hence the sentiment in the very start of this thread - we can't afford to lose a future star at the expense of keeping someone so clearly on the slide. 
[/quote]

Perhaps Mata, but I prefer to judge each game on it's merits when seeing how a player has gone in that particular game, rather than just looking out for some pre formed thoughts and only looking for those in particular.

I am quite happily a Billy Slater hater, so when I watch him play, I have an eagle eye out looking for any faults in his game to point out to all the others that are up his arse.

Perhaps that is what some people on here do each time they watch Orford go onto the park

It was interesting yesterday watching Boks vs Blecks with the kiwi commentators before the game saying they know not why Ma'a Nonu attracts so much criticism and lauding his positives.  Unfortunately for them Nonu went out and made 4 howlers, virtually handing the game to the World Champions on a silver platter - that's why he gets criticised and it must surely be taken into account as the Blecks build towards 2011?

I was also interested to hear the kiwi commentators constantly referring to Blecks vs Boks as "the greatest rivalry in world rugby".  Confirms my belief that the Wobblies are johnny come latelies in world rugby and the Bledisloe is a lop-sided affair. 

I didn't really see the match mata, only the last 20 mins of it when I got home last night. Will say that I still prefer the All Blacks style to any other side, making a lot of mistakes but at least having a go with the ball.

Those commentators are ****house imo, I am presuming Tony Johnson would be the man you are refering too ?

NZ v SA is obviously the top rivalry, Australia hardly won a game for so long before the game become professional

I did see some highlights of Steyn knocking over 61m goals, and have read he is off to France, does that rule him out of future selection

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2