is it time to extend Haslers contract?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Nappa

Premium Member
Tipping Member
from memory we signed Des on a 3 year contract, and he has only 2 more seasons to run.
Due to what happened in the past I believe this was the right length to sign him.
It seems that some of our players are only extending there contracts in part to match when Des's contract finishes.

I believe Hasler has proven himself, the players believe in him and that we should extend his contract asap to help us re sign and recruit new players.

It will be interesting to see how long Tom and Jake extend for and if they have a clause in their contract that if Des leaves they can leave.

Des must now realuze that Manly is the only Club that is in sync with his process :happy:

The roster is developing into a premiership winning team nicely :clap:

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Des is extended to the duration of the T's contracts. However I wouldn't do any more than that simply because in recent times when coaches have been signed long contracts like 5 years it has been the kiss of death to the team. Green at the Cowboys and smiley @ grumbles at the Broncs.

I honestly don't think Des will be interested in going anywhere else now. I'm sure the whole Bulldogs experience made him realise that Manly is where he fits and I doubt he will actively look for other opportunities. If he wants to extend and he has performed then he will stay IMO. Des isn't stupid, he can see another premiership opportunity or two presenting itself in the next 2-3 years. Let's just see out the current contract and then reassess. If he wins a GF within the next two years then he can put the acid on for an extension

I honestly don't think Des will be interested in going anywhere else now. I'm sure the whole Bulldogs experience made him realise that Manly is where he fits and I doubt he will actively look for other opportunities. If he wants to extend and he has performed then he will stay IMO. Des isn't stupid, he can see another premiership opportunity or two presenting itself in the next 2-3 years. Let's just see out the current contract and then reassess. If he wins a GF within the next two years then he can put the acid on for an extension
Good idea. Just extend him a couple of years at a time, if he does as well as we currently expect then we (well, not me personally) just have to be prepared to keep playing him his proper market value. We don't have any ready-made Many replacements just yet anyway, and I can't see us hiring another outsider anytime soon.

After the Bulldogs fiasco I don’t think any other clubs are going to come knocking. At the same time, regardless of whether there is competition for his services, he’s the heart and soul of the club and deserves to be rewarded accordingly. A contract for the next five to ten years would be a good start.

Hasler should of been offered a 5yr deal from the outset, i mentioned the same at the time of his signing. Manly are a small club tight on finances and going through a very important stage where it can make or break the club for the future---stability is paramount in such an environment.

Not flush with funds, a young coach that lost his way and let discipline slide, a young squad full of potential and on the rebuild, development proposals seem to be showing more glimpses of receiving the green light, with all that to deal with a long term contract at the time was a no brainer.

It is not like Hasler left Manly due to poor performance and even though Dessies success at the Dogs relative to his Manly years wasn't at the same level it was still good enough for two GF appearances.

On field success and riding the wave along with getting all the developments done over the next 5yrs can really set Manly up for the future big time. If that means back ending contracts more than before or cheating the cap and getting away with it for half a decade i'm all for it, on field success(especially in this period more so than ever) can really set Manly up for years to come.

A lack of success over the next 5yrs and not taking any risks will probably kill the club or dig a bigger hole that will lead to a slow death anyway.(Basically i'm saying there was no risk in signing Hasler long term under such circumstances)

You have to wonder about the extraordinary ability of the people running the show to shoot themselves in the foot over footballing matters, simply to satisfy a few personal agendas.

If Hasler had been kept happy (and I am cognisant that we still had co-owners back then) over resourcing circa 2010-11, he would have stayed and could have delivered one or two more titles by now.

Instead we had to endure the pain of Toovey’s eventual demise and ‘the next big coaching thing’ turning into one of the biggest disasters in the club’s history - perhaps second only to the Superleague fallout and the eventual merger with Norths (and its aftermath).

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4