Is Hill a target?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader
Eels won't be reserved in hitting Hill: Hindmarsh
By Greg Prichard
September 6, 2005

Injured Parramatta star Nathan Hindmarsh says outspoken Manly veteran Terry Hill can expect a few Eels to go looking for him in Sunday's fourth qualifying final at Parramatta Stadium.

Speaking yesterday and referring to Saturday's game between Manly and Canberra, which had been spiced up by pre-match comments by Hill, Hindmarsh said: "I just try to ignore that type of stuff between him and my brother [Ian]. I don't really care about it. I just think it gave my brother a bit of extra motivation to try to crack his ribs.

"I think a few [Canberra] players were out there to get him. I don't think it'll be any different this week."

Hindmarsh had been asked how he felt about Hill's description of Ian as "a reserve-grader", which was in response to Ian Hindmarsh's comment that "everyone loves to hate Manly".

Nathan Hindmarsh said he thought Hill's comments had received more publicity than they deserved, before adding: "He carried on like a bit of an idiot. But, Terry Hill, he's been known to do that for a few years and that's what makes him Terry Hill."

Advertisement
AdvertisementContacted by the Herald last night, Hill declined to take questions, saying that after talking to Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler he had decided to be low key - at least publicly - going into the clash with Parramatta.

Hill has a sore shoulder as a result of Canberra prop Ben Cross hitting it with his knees - an incident that led to Cross picking up a judiciary charge yesterday - but the former representative centre stressed he would play.

"Terry's keeping it low profile," Hasler said last night. "Every game is a bonus for him now, since he's retiring at the end of the season, so he wants to concentrate on the game."

Asked for his response to Hindmarsh's comments, Hasler said he had no intention of getting into a slanging match with Parramatta.

"That's fine, let him go," Hasler said. "I've been around too long to get involved in that.

"No war of words here. No interest in it whatsoever.

"Last week was more a gee-up than anything else from Terry. It was a just a bit of fun, a bit of stuff from the old days."

Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald, who has a reputation for saying what he thinks, was also being careful not to say anything that the opposition might be able to pick up on and use as motivation. "We've got rivalries with a number of teams," Fitzgerald said last night.

"The Dragons, the Bulldogs … our rivalry with the Sea Eagles is no different to our rivalry with any other club."

It sounds like the calm before the storm for two clubs that developed an at times bitter rivalry in the 1970s and which have jousted a fair bit over the past couple of years on a number of issues.

Former international Noel Cleal was the recruitment officer at Parramatta, but left the club in acrimonious circumstances in 2003 to accept the same job with the Sea Eagles.

Star centre Jamie Lyon walked out on Parramatta at the start of last season and the Sea Eagles were later keen to sign him, but Parramatta refused them permission to negotiate, while giving permission to other clubs.

Hill doesn't like Parramatta assistant coach and former Manly coach Peter Sharp, whom he says has "no people skills whatsoever".

And, early this season, Manly ridiculed Parramatta for releasing five-eighth or halfback Michael Witt, whom the Sea Eagles subsequently signed on a fat contract. Witt has recently been languishing in reserve grade.

Hill's teammates are certainly expecting him to make an impact in the game.

"I'm sure Terry Hill will get even more fired up this week," Sea Eagles halfback and captain Michael Monaghan said yesterday. "We'll let him go. He did all right last week, we'll see how he goes this week."

Hindmarsh said he hoped to overcome his knee injury in time to play some part in Parramatta's finals campaign, provided the Eels make it into the latter stages.

If they do target him it will work to our advantage, we will have more space around him for the speed men

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4