Interesting read re recruitment in NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Point I found interesting is that with senior recruitment, the head coach doesn't have the final say.
That must be a tigers thing.
Though I'm surprised Madge wouldn't have.
I'll bet my balls that Des does ...

He did first time around. I don’t think he does this time.
Oh yeah I know what you mean.
He wouldn't have the purse strings that's for sure.
But I just can't see him just taking what a recruiter gives him as inferred in article.
That just sounded strange to me.
If I was a head coach by and large they'd be recruiting what I wanted to coach.

Point I found interesting is that with senior recruitment, the head coach doesn't have the final say.
That must be a tigers thing.
Though I'm surprised Madge wouldn't have.
I'll bet my balls that Des does ...

When Des came back to Manly last year one of the major things was that he wouldn't be involved in the money side of contract negotiations to try and avoid the problems both Manly and the Dogs have experienced with with his back-ended contracts. But I highly doubt that he wouldn't be involved in recruitment.

A coach has to have some say in the players that a club recruits.

I just couldn't bother reading past the first line where it said some no name had done some amazing job building a footy team that totally is on the same playing field money wise as everyone one else. The tigers will test him.

'ge sets fastest time into town on the day he drove his Ferrari when everyone else had to walk' -

When Des came back to Manly last year one of the major things was that he wouldn't be involved in the money side of contract negotiations to try and avoid the problems both Manly and the Dogs have experienced with with his back-ended contracts. But I highly doubt that he wouldn't be involved in recruitment.

A coach has to have some say in the players that a club recruits.

Those back ended contracts resulted in five grand final appearances. Imagine if his teams had won all those games, Des would be the premier coach in the competition.

Those back ended contracts resulted in five grand final appearances. Imagine if his teams had won all those games, Des would be the premier coach in the competition.

Des has certainly had success as a coach, especially with Manly. Personally I think the top 3 coaches in the NRL are Des, Bellamy and Robinson. But back ended contracts tend to cause cap problems later on which both us and the Dogs experienced.

Des has certainly had success as a coach, especially with Manly. Personally I think the top 3 coaches in the NRL are Des, Bellamy and Robinson. But back ended contracts tend to cause cap problems later on which both us and the Dogs experienced.
Yeah mate, past Des teams have suffered from back-ended contracts.(after he was gone)
Yes, he was not allowed to run his plans to conclusion...firstly by being skin-flinted by us ( he left after we didn't want to pay him what he deserved) and then booted by an ineffective Bulldogs management.

Maybe if his plans were allowed to run full circle the back-ending may have not caused such problems as it did.

The concept is to pay big money players more nearing the end of their financial benefit and moving them on at their peak dollars and replacing them with NEW stars on smaller money.
Obviously player acquisition is of paramount importance running this plan but both times he had a great staff under him.

His Manly tenure also suffered from very unusual circumstances with Choc, Shoulders and Snake, whereas the Bulldogs club was a complete mess at that time.

I don't know if he had it planned out well but we will never know as both times those plans were cut short.

Gauging by the thoroughness he does everything, (anal retentiveness to the extreme) I highly doubt that both times he did not have a strong plan.

There is also the belief that clubs on a "shoestring salary cap" need to back-end big contracts to achieve success and then suffer for a few years.

We will never know as both scenarios have never played out fully.

Last edited:
I think Des and Bellamy are the standout coaches for 1 glowing reason...they can transform a player who appears average, or has major attitude issues and get the best out of them.
Robinson and Bennett for example have had rosters the local tea lady could lead to a GF and that's not to say they are no good, still up there as great coaches, but I always rate the ability on the tradesmen using the same tools, as to who is the best.
Not sure Des has zero impact on the design going forward, but maybe he has learned how to balance things better, regarding back ended contracts himself.
The fact there are so much quality juniors who will debut in the next 1-2 seasons, plus those on smaller contracts who are in the 17, will allow a real chance to build a team that competes for the title the next 5-7 years if managed well.

Oh yeah I know what you mean.
He wouldn't have the purse strings that's for sure.
But I just can't see him just taking what a recruiter gives him as inferred in article.
That just sounded strange to me.
If I was a head coach by and large they'd be recruiting what I wanted to coach.

Des is all over the cash and always looking at how it unfolds

definitely does not have the authority to sign off and close the deal but makes very persuasive suggestions in the movement and shuffling

he would be coaching what’s in front of him now but already thinking for the next two or three years

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2