Interesting article RE: QLD Cup/NRL players

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eggson

Bencher
Just read this about Canberra and it may apply to us as well, not sure how true it is though:

NSWRL boss Geoff Carr says any Canberra Raiders player who appears in a Queensland Cup match next year will be barred from the NRL for the remainder of the season.
Carr has stepped up his bid to force the Raiders to compete in the NSW Cup next season, a move that will almost certainly cause Canberra's Queensland Cup feeder side Souths Logan to fold.

Speaking at yesterday's NSW Cup launch, the NSWRL and ARL chief executive said the Raiders would not be permitted to send excess players to Souths Logan once their current deal expires at season's end.

They must instead enter their own team in the NSW Cup, or form an alliance with an existing NSW-based club that would then enter the state's premier over-age competition.

''We've got a commitment to have NSW players play in NSW,'' Carr told The Canberra Times yesterday.

''The Australian Rugby League now has a rule in place that if you're a NSW-based player you're required to play in NSW.

''You can't go back and forth. We're not opposed to NRL clubs supporting Queensland Cup sides, but when the players go up there they can't come back.

''Once a player participates in a competition up there that's where he stays for the season.''

Raiders chief executive Don Furner was shocked when The Canberra Times informed him of Carr's threat.

Furner is adamant the Raiders are best served sending their excess players to Souths Logan, an arrangement they have had in place since the Premier League competition was axed at the end of the 2008 season.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/nswrl-calls-on-raiders-to-quit-qld/1768196.aspx

is the rule the same one that says if you play in nsw for your first grade match then you play for NSW state of origin?

Carr's one of the fat-old-suits that Willy Mason so aptly described.  He's had his snout in the trough for many years.

It's bollocks because they're changing the rules after clubs like us have made an investment.

BUT

I can see why they're doing it. Qld are so dodgy with the SOO rules that they'll claim anyone they can. If that means getting a Manly or Canberra junior on some technicality, they'll do it.
It's a fair point but one that should have been realised five years ago.

Canteen Worker link said:
It also has to do with the strength of the NSWRL comp v the QLD cup - they are wanting to maximise the comp down here!

NO way.

Reminds me of a quote from a cricket captain in the local rag I read today. "Synthetic pitches are quicker than turf because of the concrete underneath".

What the ?

About the rule..there is an element of hypocrisy (what a shock) in the rule.
Quite apart from the fact Canberra is not in NSW.

Another reason to get the independent commission up and running - get rid of these stupid old dinosaurs and get on with the good of the game.

Duff that is bull****.
Nothing to do with that.
Living up here the qld cup is as good as uk super league.
It means a lot to ppl up this way we have only so much chances to see footy and therefore it becomes a top line sport.

Nswrl are scared of collapse because outside of nrl they have a crap comp.
Happy to watch qrl it lacks crowds is all.

They should grow the game up this way and not vic. Sunny coast needs a team and probably bundy too. Bundy comp is VERY strong. A lot of current names cut thPeir teeth there

A club I would like to see us get affilated with if push comes to shove about this is the Entrance Tigers on the Central Coast. This team is incredible succesful and has a bucket load of juniors. Case in point the comp formerly known as the Jim Beam Cup in it's first year the Central Coast teams were expected to struggle against the Bulls and others but the Entrance ran out winners of it. Won it again a few years later, went back to playing the Central Coast comp because of the increase of pokie tax in NSW and dominated it and will be playing this year in the Bundy Red Cup (new Jim Beam Cup)

eagles2win link said:
A club I would like to see us get affilated with if push comes to shove about this is the Entrance Tigers on the Central Coast. This team is incredible succesful and has a bucket load of juniors. Case in point the comp formerly known as the Jim Beam Cup in it's first year the Central Coast teams were expected to struggle against the Bulls and others but the Entrance ran out winners of it. Won it again a few years later, went back to playing the Central Coast comp because of the increase of pokie tax in NSW and dominated it and will be playing this year in the Bundy Red Cup (new Jim Beam Cup)

And then the CC bears cant align with them  ;D

Jatz Crackers link said:
[quote author=eagles2win link=topic=182541.msg253408#msg253408 date=1267857518]

And then the CC bears cant align with them  ;D
[/quote]

Exactly and they are one of the biggest clubs on the Central Coast ;)

For Qld supporters the closest team I would equate them to is the Redcliffe Dolphins who have huge numbers in the juniors.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6