Inside the tries, Menzies and Bell By Steve Mascord | September 15, 2008

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Inside the tries, Menzies and Bell

By Steve Mascord | September 15, 2008
[img=200x76]http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6250441,00.jpg[/img]
Manly moment ... Steve Menzies leads the Sea Eagles for the
team song after their win. Photograph: Gregg Porteous / The Daily Telegraph

MANLY fullback Brett Stewart was stunned to learn at the weekendthat a game of paper-rock-scissors carries little weight among rugby league officials.

In a welcome humorous break from the tension of the finals on Saturday night, Stewart and teammate Heath L'Estrange played the game twice in the middle of Brookvale Oval after they touched down simultaneously for a 63rd-minute try in the Sea Eagles' 38-6 win over St George Illawarra.

Replacement hooker L'Estrange looked disgusted when he lost both times - but he had the last laugh when NRL Stats gave him the four points anyway. "Did they? Are you serious? I thought I bagged two!'' Stewart told The Daily Telegraph.

"It was simultaneous so we had to sort it out with a bit of paper-scissors-rock. One of us got it down. If there was any doubt they would have had to give it to one of us. So they gave it to Stranger, did they?''

Departing star Steve Menzies, meanwhile, was humbled once again when thousands of fans stayed behind to pay their respects following his regular-season farewell.

Nine minutes after coming on as an early replacement for centre Steve Bell, Menzies charged down a kick and scored a try that had to go to the video referees because it bounced off his headgear. He got the chance to close the scoring with a conversion attempt - but missed.

"It was good to have the other farewell which was the last home game and, being greedy, have two farewells. I'm just so happy everyone stayed around at the end of the game and said thanks. They didn't have to do that. It's nice.''

While the Eagles are careful not to talk up their chances of a second consecutive grand final appearance, they do argue that last year's experiences will aid their cause.

"Hopefully we can get there (through) the experience in the finals series last year,'' Menzies said. "Most of these guys will have played a full series leading into the grand final so that stands us in good stead.''

Meanwhile Manly coach Des Hasler has revealed centre Steve Bell was actually injured in the warm-up for Saturday night's match but bravely took the field for his final game at Brookvale Oval.

Bell, who is joining Catalans next season, appeared to hurt his right calf just three minutes into the game and was replaced by Menzies. Former Queensland centre Bell will have scans today to check for a tear - but Hasler said the damage was done before kick-off.

"We really lost Belly in the warm-up,'' Hasler said. "It was critical because Beaver was able to slot into the centres.''

Even Bell's teammates were unaware of the last-minute mishap. "I knew nothing about it,'' interchange forward Jason King said.

Hasler, meanwhile, insisted Adam Cuthbertson was well in the mix for the preliminary finals despite missing the cut on Saturday night with L'Estrange getting the nod. That's even though L'Estrange scored a try and set up another.

Utility Luke Williamson, who has been out for a fortnight with a hamstring injury, plans to make himself available for the penultimate weekend of the season.

Hasler said: "It depends who we're playing, what I'm going to do. (Cuthbertson) played last weekend and there's pressure, which is good. They put a lot of pressure on each other so that allows us to assess it and see who we're playing ... everyone's fairly healthy. They're the sort of decisions you want to have to make.''

We have covered fairly well in defense without Willow.

Its our defense out wide that needs focus (especially if we maintain this compressed style of late) 

I thought Stewart got the try, his arm was lower than L'Estrange

Will be filthy if that costs me a fantasy comp

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4