Injury ends Richie Fa'aoso's career

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
RE: Richie's forced Premature Retirement

Agreed Daddycool. I dont know if Richie is a family man, but if the risk is high of further serious damage and potentially becoming a quadriplegic, think of your years in future first Richie. If you're OK that's a different situation and love to see you back in the maroon and whites. But you only get one life and if you're a family man only one chance of being their for your kids with all your faculities.

He has a nine year old and is expecting a new baby soon, as well as getting married late last year.

So a very stressful time, both mentally and financially :s

Don't know how old he is, but is at the end of his career. Richie is the one in crisis, Manly just need to readjust a playing roster :dodgy:

Wolfie was 24 and was 'lucky' with his c6 fracture being a vertical one, and not across the vertebrae.:angel: Every time he dives for the tryline, I cringe till he pops up again safely.

Could be just a smokescreen. Wasn't he cleared of the injury just a few weeks ago? I think it's just a way to give him some space and time to think about his future and what he wants to do. If anything, the amount of support he is receiving from fans may persuade him to play on. If he is capable of playing, I sincerely hope he does!

bob dylan said:
BOZO said:
tookey said:
I hope that we don't see similar headlines in two months time for Kingy if he has another bad shoulder injury.
Think positive tookey . KIng will Kill it this year and will have his best season ever mate

This will be a bonus if he does.

And a first.

He has had his best year ever at least once before.

Lets keep Richie but make him wear a stack-hat for when he does those kamikaze head first charges

Thanks for the effort you put in last year Ritchie, and if the gods are smiling on you, the coming year, too. Whatever decision you choose to make will be supported by this little black duck.

Has anyone started a book on this yet? The odds must be pretty long that he'll return, but I wouldn't mind betting he will. I like big odds. (Like the Burgess boys).

It isn't good enough to write him off. He wore tha maroon and white. He suffered a severe injury standing up for our club. He must either be employed in a future training role or be compensated. He spent hours travelling to training. He threw his body on the line for us. I can't see how accepting that it is all over and thanks for the memories (not that I'm saying that is what happened) is acceptable. It isn't to me and I hope he is still part of our future. Thanks Richie!

Really liked his impact in 2013 but back to 2014.... is his contract money now freed up as this decision only happened pre season...or is it still part of the 2014 salary cap??

Injury forces Manly Sea Eagles forward Richie Fa'aoso to retire

MANLY prop Richie Fa'aoso has retired on the back of strong medical recommendations.

Fa'aoso fractured his vertebrae against South Sydney during the 2013 finals series.

Despite being signed until the end of 2014 and hopeful of returning to the field, extensive testing revealed the 29-year-old had no other option but to draw the curtain on his 11-year career.

"It's very disappointing and unfortunate," Fa'aoso said.

"I've had many highs and lows in my career and I'm extremely grateful for the opportunities the game of rugby league has given me.

"I feel blessed to have played with the people I have over so many years."

The premiership winning forward played 155 first grade games across six clubs, along with spending a season in the English Super League.

Fa'aoso claimed his first premiership ring in 2012 while playing in Melbourne. The following season he joined the Sea Eagles, where he was robbed of the opportunity to make back-to-back grand final appearances due to his career ending injury.

"Richie was an integral part in our march to the grand final last year and it's upsetting to see him have his career ended in this way," Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey said.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au//league/injury-forces-manly-sea-eagles-forward-richie-faaoso-to-retire/story-e6frf3ou-1226817603383#ixzz2sJq0Hw9k

RE: Injury forces Manly Sea Eagles forward Richie Fa'aoso to retire

So sad, hope Richie finds a new career and clears his mind for his family's sake :angel:

The party is officially over for Ritchie . Very sad news as I was hoping he might have played this year .

Best of luck with your future Rich. Look after yourself and your family mate.

Merged threads.

"The Club, along with the NRL, will continue to support Richie with his rehabilitation, as well as the transition to life after football. This includes assisting him in the completion of suitable educational courses.”

"On behalf of all Sea Eagles members, supporters, fans and staff - I'd like to thank and congratulate Richie for his commitment and achievements to our Club and the game of Rugby League."

from the club: http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news-display/Richie-Faaoso-announces-retirement/89897

If he's retired does that mean we don't keep paying his contract?
In any case, looks like we're not just cutting him adrift completely.

Related article:

Richie Fa’aoso announces retirement

Tuesday 4 February 2014 1:21 PM

Sea Eagles front rower Richie Fa’aoso has announced his immediate retirement from rugby league, closing the curtain on a career spanning 11 years.

Fa’aoso had been contracted with the Sea Eagles until the end of 2014, but has been forced into premature retirement on the back of strong medical advice and recommendations.

Click here to read the full MWSE Official article.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2